The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reviewed the threads, but not sure I have seen the solution on what is troubling my PFK 457 system key alarm/immobilizer (most threads seem to refer to older Cobra system). The closest one is https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/fob-locks-unlocks-doors-only-when-ignition-470074/ but there is no discussion in thread.

I just got a 2011 Elise SC in an out of state private sale. The owner only had one key and did not have the PIN (he was second owner). I had the car inspected at the seller's, but the issue of the keys not working completely was not discovered.

The key will not unlock any doors (previous owner had locked doors using key itself, which is how I unlocked). In addition, the key will not remotely disengage the engine immobilizer. If I put the key in the ignition, turn all the way to start, I can then disengage the immobilizer by pressing the unlock button on the key and then start the car by pressing the start button. On occasion, I hear the doors unlock if I press the button too long -- I have not been able to lock the doors when the key is in the ignition. BTW -- I did put in a new battery -- no difference.

One other observation, after I press the unlock button on key while in the ignition and before I press the engine start button, I hear a very short dull thud behind my left side and a noise that sounds like an aircraft engine spooling up. Sound goes away (or is drown out) when engine starts.

I was planning to get a second key to see if the issue is with the key (not transmitting) or the alarm system (not receiving). I called the nearest dealer (300 miles away) and was informed I had to go in in person, with ID, to order a key and then come back, in person (this time car would be required), to pick up key. It will be some time before I can make the two 600 mile round trips (which might not address the problem anyway).

So, I would greatly appreciate any advice or words of wisdom on (1) whether there is anything I can do to fix the problem myself, (2) whether the problem is likely the key or the system, and (3) whether I am at risk of getting stranded because the key or alarm is ready to stop working altogether.

Thanks!!!

DJ

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
I do not have an Elise (I have an Evora) but I think both cars use the PDK 457 system.

It sounds like the key fob is disengaging your immobilizer otherwise I do not believe you would be able to start the car. The noise you hear might be the fuel pump priming.

Does your car have a button on the dash for door locks? If so, I think I've read from other Elise posts that if a key is used to lock the door from the outside, then only the key in the door will open it, not the remote or interior lock button. Perhaps that's why the key only unlocks the door.

I'm sure an Elise owner will chime in to provide more help...

As far as keys go, I contacted Robert Davies of Maserati Lotus Greenville ((864) 255-3593, [email protected] ) several years ago for help with a replacement key. He shipped me a replacement. So, they should be able to help and provide you a PIN, as well as a replacement key/FOB after proof of ownership (registration, copy of drivers license, photo of you with car, and title).

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have an Elise (I have an Evora) but I think both cars use the PDK 457 system.

Does your car have a button on the dash for door locks? If so, I think I've read from other Elise posts that if a key is used to lock the door from the outside, then only the key in the door will open it, not the remote or interior lock button. Perhaps that's why the key only unlocks the door.

As far as keys go, I contacted Robert Davies of Maserati Lotus Greenville ((864) 255-3593, [email protected] ) several years ago for help with a replacement key. He shipped me a replacement. So, they should be able to help and provide you a PIN, as well as a replacement key/FOB after proof of ownership (registration, copy of drivers license, photo of you with car, and title).

Good luck!
On using key itself to unlock, that's all I have been able to do -- if door unlocked with key, fob should then work to lock, but it is not working.

Thanks for the head's up on another dealer, will try my luck there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 2011 so I have the same system

normally, when you press the unlock button - it would unlock the door via power lock and disable the immobilizer for like 30 sec. If you dont start the car within ~30 sec, the immobilizer will arm itself, where you have the press the disable button again to start the car.

with regard to locking the door with key - the key lock on the door is completely separated from the power lock - key lock operates via disengaging the "thing" you push to open the door (the key hole), the power lock actually locks the door (engaging the pin on top the of the door. the silver pin where you press down to manually lock from inside). yes this is silly but this is a Lotus. Will the door lock/unlock using the power lock button in front of the shift column (a rocker switch)? if it locks and unlock using the rock switch, it is likely the battery of the remote.

if not, I would check power door lock related fuses. I have had issue with the remote battery before where the range becomes zero where I had to bring the remote touching the base of the windshield on the passenger side to unlock my doors (that where the alarm antenna is)

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
As los briefly mentioned, change out the battery on the FOB. A weak FOB battery can have some oddly issues which is weird but true for the older Elises. Don't know if it applies to the newer ones but a cheap and simple thing to at least check off the list. Keep us posted as it may help future owners. Good luck with the fix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts