The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to Ottawa next week and need help deciding what hotel would be best. Courtyard Ottawa East or Holiday Inn Gatineau-Ottawa Plz Chaudiere.

Have to make the decision tonight.. Any help would be appreciated..

Cheers!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where r u going? Without that info I'd pick the hOliday inn

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll be working near the airport. As far as where I'll be going.. don't know yet. I'll ask any and everyone I run into the standard question. "What are the 3 things I should see/do while I'm in Ottawa?" I'll go from there. You have any suggestions?

How about this one.. Would you stay in Quebec or Ontario? I understand the French side or the English side?
Do you spend your weekends in Quebec or Ontario? Where do you spend your nights, Quebec or Ontario?

Got any idea of 3 things I should see/do while I'm there?
I'll have a rental car.. Do you know any drives I should take?

What do you do on the weekends? Where do you take your friends/people from out of town when they come to visit? Where are your favorite restaurants/pubs?
Is there public transportation like England? Is it safe to be out at night alone? Where are the places not to visit after hours? Do they have pubs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

thanks..

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll be working near the airport. As far as where I'll be going.. don't know yet. I'll ask any and everyone I run into the standard question. "What are the 3 things I should see/do while I'm in Ottawa?" I'll go from there. You have any suggestions?

How about this one.. Would you stay in Quebec or Ontario? I understand the French side or the English side?
Do you spend your weekends in Quebec or Ontario? Where do you spend your nights, Quebec or Ontario?

Got any idea of 3 things I should see/do while I'm there?
I'll have a rental car.. Do you know any drives I should take?

What do you do on the weekends? Where do you take your friends/people from out of town when they come to visit? Where are your favorite restaurants/pubs?
Is there public transportation like England? Is it safe to be out at night alone? Where are the places not to visit after hours? Do they have pubs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

thanks..
wow..

there is NOTHING near the airport. The hotspots for nightlife are in the Byward Market or Elgin Street... The Quebec location is probably closer to those but there is no tube equivalent to get from the airport or those locations to those hotspots. But it's a 10-15 minute drive. There are lots of pubs in the market. My favorite is the snug pub, but the black thorn is nice too. 3 things to do? Depends. If u want to be cultural, go to the museum of civillisation. If you want to "club" or shop go to the Byward market. If u want a great drive take the Gatineau parkway to the Champlain lookout, or just drive to Wakefield. If you want an interesting view of the various neighborhoods drive west along somerset/wellington/richmond road until u bet bored, or drive south from downtown along bank street.

Matt

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stay downtown - Get ready for a lot of ****ty drivers.

100% MUST GO TO COLONNADE PIZZA - It's in the heart of downtown (280 Metcalfe Street) and the best pizza in Canada.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Visit downtown for sure, Parliament hill is nice. There is a lot to see within walking distance from there. Also, if you are there on the weekend and have an entire day to spare, take a drive out to Calabogie race track, it's really nice! Check their website to see if there are any events happening.Calabogie Motorsports Park

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Carleton university in Ottawa rents out student residence rooms in the summer for a low price. We've always stayed there for 3 day weekends.

Across the river from Ottawa in Hull, you should check out the Museum of Civilization.

The area in Ottawa around the Parliament buildings is worth seeing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sweet! Thanks so much for the ideas! I'll try and look into them!

Pub and food suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would much rather hit the local spots than the standard chains.
Don't forget suggestions on your favorite pints (locally brewed). cask ales if you have them.

I will have a rental car, so the drives might come into play! Thanks!

steve..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't forget suggestions on your favorite pints (locally brewed). cask ales if you have them.
There are a couple of local brewers. The two best known that I've had and can vouch for are Mill Street (a fair walk west from Parliament Hill, between there and the War Museum, which is good if you're into that kind of thing), and then Clocktower, and there are a bunch of those spread around town, in the market, along Bank St, on Richmond Rd. There is another brew pub in Hull that I've heard of but don't know any more details, and there's a new brew pub outside of town (The Ashton Brew Pub) that I've heard good things about but haven't personally experienced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm originally from Pembroke (about 1.5 hours from Ottawa). There are a whack of small but very nice friendly towns around the Ottawa area. Kingston is very nice and has some great historic value. People are wonderful..., bring your long underwear and some bug spray! lol

-----
Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Man.. I can't wait!! Turns out I'll have Monday off as well!

Is there something unique to Canada that might be worth keeping an eye out for that would be worth to bring home? I could use a couple hockey pucks for the lotus I guess. I can't get them here in Texas... : -)

Thanks again!
Steve..

=================

Travel Update... I want to thank everyone for throwing out suggestions! Ottawa was a great place to visit! Did a ton of walking and a couple of drives through the countryside (saw 2 bear, a handful of turkeys, and deer). Got into some good food (Breakfast was my favorite), coffee, and pints! I would like to return during the winter and skate the Rideau Canal! Went to the National Gallery of Canada and saw the exclusive Canadian showing of Van Gogh! If you are looking for a large(!) hotel room, check out the Courtyard Ottawa East Marriott across from the Baseball field. I had a room on the 13th floor and it was huge! Maybe 16-18x24'. ?? Huge! The ceiling was around 10-12 feet. It had two huge ~8x4 foot windows (8x8 viewing area), which was really nice to wake up to!! The bathroom was maybe 12x12' and had both a tub and a walk-in shower! The people i meet in Ottawa were very friendly as well! Just tons of Onion Women as well!!

Thanks again! Steve..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.