The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 exige with the track package can't wait to drive it. I'm flying to Cleveland in the morning to pick it up at the dealership then driving 5 and a half hours back to my house. My friends neighbor has one and I sat in it for 5 minutes that's the most experience I have with a lotus. Is there anything I should know about driving it for the first time that far? I already know it's not the most comfortable car on long trips and to dodge the potholes. Besides having a blast driving it is there anything I should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I can't think of anything other than checking the tires/pressure, coolant and oil. Enjoy the drive back and don't get too crazy with it until you've learned the limits.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Make sure the battery is reasonably fresh and has a good charge. Too often dealerships let cars sit around with no battery tender and the battery goes dead. If there's any doubt I'd ask them to swap in a new battery.

Good luck, and enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Haha maybe bring headphones? 5 hours really isn't too long to worry. What dealer all I can think of is by the porsche dealer in olmsted? Well if the roads were cleaner, and my car together I'd head out to send you off in style! Have fun!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a heavy foot now with my Mustang GT I have a feeling The exige is going to get me in trouble lol. Once I get a feel for the clutch I'll be alright I guess.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be cool but I know what you mean I live in Pa the roads are all salt and cinders here. The dealer is Marshall Goldman not sure where it is the dealer is picking me up at the airport. I should have the keys and leaving right at lunch time is there any good place to eat around there? I've never been to Cleveland before is there any type of food there known for?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Cleveland to where? If you experience snow or ice, you could be in for some
issues

·
Registered
46 Posts
That would be cool but I know what you mean I live in Pa the roads are all salt and cinders here. The dealer is Marshall Goldman not sure where it is the dealer is picking me up at the airport. I should have the keys and leaving right at lunch time is there any good place to eat around there? I've never been to Cleveland before is there any type of food there known for?
I actually go to school at the Cleveland institute of art and have been to that dealer many times. - there is no food in the immediate area, except if you google beach wood mall and legacy village there are plenty of nice places there to eat. - feel free to message me if you need any more advice about the area.

Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
As noted earlier, be sure to understand the key fob/ immobilizer routine. When I bought mine used, they just handed it off with no info whatever. When we got home, I couldn't get it fired to unload, and went thru an extended torture period before I found out how to disable it.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Cleveland to Pittsburgh. You are going to experience snow
which is bad. Salt is not good for these cars

I'd try to plan it for a
warmer day where there isn't a chance for snow or icy conditions. Is take the first flight so you can get to the dealer early and get in the road right away before it gets dark and roads get icy

Your car is invisible to other drivers. Even moreso at night. I would not trust other drivers in winter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rev limiter? I hope the dealer knows what's going on with the car and shows me. I'm leaving Cleveland around noon and i live on the east side of Pa I'm 25 min north of Bethlehem. The weather is going to be in the mid 40s tomorrow and sunny i didn't even think about the weather over there. I should be home before dark my gps says 5 and a half hours but the way i drive probably 4 and a half. Thanks for the letting it warm up first i didn't think about that either. Sucks there's no where to eat around there but I'm sure there's something on the way. Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Guess I have to research starting the car to I thought it was just turning the key and pushing the start button. I didn't know it was that complicated[/QUOTE

I live in pgh and I think it should be clear. I assume your taking I80 to I76. If so get off in Cranberry (2nd exit after pa/oh border). Get a sandwich at Parmanttis. Something different and should be pretty quick turnaround.

As far as drive I would have trailered it. When I went to get mine in Chicago I rented an Enterprise 3/4 ton PU and a Uhaul car trailer. Went really smooth

Ironically when I got my Viper it was in Long Island. When we tried to load it on trailer it was a train wreck. Not enough clearance ended up backing it on. Tires were too wide then after all that the trailer had a flat. Got frustrated dropped trailer off at local uhaul and drove it home. First problem is the tire suck when they are cold, did a. Couple 360 spins along the way. Around Carlisle we hit a snow storm which made the trip real interesting. All in all got it home safe with stories to tell. My advice be carefully. Lots of power + cold tires = messy drawers.

Anyway if you go through Pittsburgh and you get in a jamb call me. I will pm my number

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool man thanks I appreciate it if I get in a jam I'll call you it would be nice to meet up with someone that know the car and could give me some pointers. The traction control settings and launch control would be nice to know about. I will be going through Pittsburgh and I'll probably eat at that place you recommend. I'm just praying for no snow or ice that would suck. I'll be in Pittsburgh around 1:00 I hope the traffic isn't to heavy. Well I have to be at the airport early in the morning I'm off to bed. Thanks for all the help everyone

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you encounter rain take it really slow...oem tires were made for dry roads. Change lanes slowly until you get used to the crappy rear visibility. Make sure you have the tool kit and a fresh can of tire sealer.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
You'll be north of the city. Would not expect any traffic where you'll be

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Pictures or it never happened!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think hes picking it up in the morning, better throw up some photos!! Well I looked up that dealer and its east side, I'm west side of cleveland so I'd have no clue where to send you for food. Just take it easy as you probably will be able to break the rear loose easily with how much salt is on the road. Since your dead set on driving her home tomorrow, I'd wash it off when you get home, maybe pick some of that salt away stuff up?

Just remember it will be like riding a motorcycle, plenty of people are going to miss that your even there, so just be cautious..

Goodluck cant wait to see some pics!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts