The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to finally install my Costco wireless camera. I don't have any electrical schematics for my 07 Exige S but I figured things should be straightforward. Famous last words!

I decided to tap the camera's power and ground wires off of the taillights. That way whenever I want the camera on, I could just flip on the light button (of course this would mean that my camera is always on at night but that's fine).

Here are my key questions:
1) I guessed that the red and black wires that go to the outer ring of the taillight were the positive and negative wires, respectively. Is this correct? What is the third purple one for?

2) Does the interior cigarette lighter jack's green ring light up whenever the car is on? Mine doesn't appear to light up whether the car is on with lights on or off. Perhaps the jack has been disconnected? The plug for the monitor also doesn't seem to fit the jack too well. I am not getting any power to the monitor.

Also the kit uses Scotch-Loks to splice into the stock wiring. I am not a fan of these and am always afraid that they will cut the wire in half. The gauges of the taillight wire and the camera wire are very different as well.

I'm getting the feeling that I don't have power to the monitor AND camera. :(

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disregard question #2. Turns out the fuse for the 12V socket was blown.

But can anyone enlighten me about the taillight wiring?

Thanks in advance,
Albert

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I can't help you with the wiring colors, but I just ran both the power and ground from the Cigarette lighter though a plug in adapter. I bought a "one to two" plug-in adapter from the auto parts store that has long wires so I can power both the camera and LCD from the cigarette lighter. Also my setup is 100% reversible. I also wired a switch between the wire to the camera so I can turn it on and off. The cigarette lighter is ALWAYS powered.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/4-3-touch-screen-gps-backup-camera-55620/

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't help you with the wiring colors, but I just ran both the power and ground from the Cigarette lighter though a plug in adapter. I bought a "one to two" plug-in adapter from the auto parts store that has long wires so I can power both the camera and LCD from the cigarette lighter. Also my setup is 100% reversible. I also wired a switch between the wire to the camera so I can turn it on and off. The cigarette lighter is ALWAYS powered.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/4-3-touch-screen-gps-backup-camera-55620/
I might have to consider that.

My next step will be to make sure that those Scotch-Loks are actually making contact with the wires.

Any idea why the taillights would have 3 wires and not just two?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, finished the camera install for now. I'll clean it up someday.

My problem turned out to be the damn Scotch-Loks. The wires that come off of the camera are so thin that they don't get spliced adequately by the Scotch-Loks. So I extended them with short segments of thicker gauge wire.

I also noticed that my kits camera has a cheaper mounting setup than others I've seen. It uses 3M tape to stick to the rear of the license plate rather than use a bracket to pass the license plate bolts through. Perhaps a cost cutting effort. I did notice that my kit was a little cheaper. $70 vs $90.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Camera Wiring Options

Hello there fellow black Exige S owners (sorry, no LSD on mine!).

I know this is an old thread, but posting here seemed better than starting a new one.

I just picked up a license plate mounted rear view camera. Running the wire into the bonnet from the plate frame was easy. The camera seems to work fine using the 12V lighter plug. Are there any options besides the tail lights or cigarette lighter for powering the camera without running wires into the cabin?

I'm getting used to not having the rear-view mirror, so the camera will be a major bonus! Thanks in advance,

D

PS: I posted a pic of my new ride in the members section. Here is is again for good luck. She's as much fun to look at as she is to drive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just wire it into the cabin. It's not that difficult. I just completed my install a few days ago. I have the camera on all the time on the 3.5" LCD on my JVC deck, and I have a carPC with 7" touchscreen LCD that has NAV & IPOD control, among other things. I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Sounds nice! Would love to see how it is set up. Something more permanent would be cool. I have it wired to the taillights for now and am using the 12v port for the monitor. Not great, but very, very helpful with the rear view.

Thanks,

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts