The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

i have a 08 elise S running the 1zz engine.
will rebuilt it wif sleeves,forged internal and turbo charged it with a hks 2835.

engine parts are easy to get.i am now stuck,it look like it inpossible to find a plug n play standalone ecu for it...

can anyone help me?i dont mind it wif a harness..

which would be a better air cool or charged cool?
i plat to track it often.

thanks everyone?yr feedback r impt to me.

regards
your friend from singapore

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, his a supercharged. i am looking towards turbocharging.

looks like the org speedometer cant be use wif the hydra ecu.
we have that in singapore too.

anyone can help do a harness for me if a use a pfc?
is our ecu the same as the mrs?
cos MWR does sell one for the mrs 1zz wif harness.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
hi, his a supercharged. i am looking towards turbocharging.

looks like the org speedometer cant be use wif the hydra ecu.
we have that in singapore too.

anyone can help do a harness for me if a use a pfc?
is our ecu the same as the mrs?
cos MWR does sell one for the mrs 1zz wif harness.
I know he has supercharged his car - but he did the research on engine management solutions which are applicable to both.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi,

in regards to engine management - there really isnt anything simple ...

i'm using the vipec v88 ecu which controls all the engine functions including aircon clutch, engine fan, a/c fan, drive by wire etc etc ... the stock ecu does nothing for the car now.

you are right, the only way to retain stock cluster is to use stock ecu .. there may well be a way to convert the rs232 or can signals from a standalone ecu into the correct format for the stack dash, but by the time you have spent many $ on doing this, you might as well just get a stand alone dash ... its much better for displaying lots of info rather than cluttering the dash with extra gauges ...

i built a completely new engine loom for the vipec ecu, but if i were to do this again, i'd just cur off the lotus loom at the ecu and go from there.

once piece of advice when doing this type of job on an elise - do not underestimate the complexity of the ecu solution ... the wiring is by far the most complex part of the job ... the spanner wrenching is simple mechanics

i thought of using the pfc - its a nice cheap option, but you do miss out on many features of a slightly more expensive stand alone, you also get a LOT more flexibility i still have spare in/outputs on the new ecu to be used in the future for stuff like data logging and traction control etc - give the ViPEC Engine Management - Main Page ecu a serious look at before you go the hydra route ... i'm happy to help with some base maps to get your engine running.

cheers

B

·
Registered
159 Posts
oh - also - you must be looking to put down some fairly serious power ... sleeves / forged internals etc - the stock engine is good for around 240 wheel HP...
your turbo manifold must be a custom job as well ??? the monkeywrench kits for the mr2 spyder wont fit the elise unfortunately ...

dont want to put you off your project, just make sure you know exactly what you are up against before you start peeling your clam off :)

edit - go chargecooled ... much easier to get rid of heat at the front of the car than the engine bay ... just dont blame me when you get scraped knuckles from getting coolant pipes down the sills ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks,will give it a serious tot.

the header is a custom job,engine is been done,and almost done.

so before i remove the clam,i will need to find a ecu.

which is the main problem.

everyone one is tell me to charged cool,looks like i will go tat way.

as i tot air cool will be simple,but may have alot of restriction later for more power.

do you think charlie could help.
it seems alot of ppl look for him for ecu problem...

thanks everyone for the feedback.keep them coming...

·
Registered
159 Posts
as far as i know charlie does not have a tune for a 1zz dbw engine, especially as you have a custom built engine, exhaust etc etc - unless you are willing to fly him out to s'pore pay for him to stay there while he tunes your engine etc ...

would be a very expensive option as opposed to dropping in a stand alone ecu ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts