The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car is listed at an auction in Portland and I'm thinking about bidding on it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the scoop on this car; how it was wrecked and the extent of the damage.

Please let me know if you have ANY info at all! I don't have the VIN., but here are some pictures.

Also, please let me know if you know what's up with all the "extra" stuff!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
To me it looks like the front clam is only sitting on the car (hence the plastic sheet which has been keeping the weather off the the car is visible). The pile of bits includes the right rear wheel (who knows what the one on the car is :shrug:), several bits from the front, and the diffuser (obviously). The size of the pile does tend to indicate quite a lot has come off the car in whatever incident it has been involved in :(

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That 2006 Exige will cost more to fix than it would cost you to buy a used one.

Avoid!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was curious about that right rear wheel. I'm not sure if the original is bent or really what the story is behind that.

I'm really hoping someone here can shed some light on this!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That 2006 Exige will cost more to fix than it would cost you to buy a used one.

Avoid!

Well, I plan on making this a casual track vehicle. Nothing formally competitive *yet*, but mostly for autocross here in Albuquerque.

I'm not too worried about the cosmetics, I'll glass it up and go! I'm really just concerned about any suspension, chassis, or drive train issues.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Well, I plan on making this a casual track vehicle. Nothing formally competitive *yet*, but mostly for autocross here in Albuquerque.

I'm not too worried about the cosmetics, I'll glass it up and go! I'm really just concerned about any suspension, chassis, or drive train issues.

You need to post pics of the frame, suspension bits, etc... to make that determination. The car is held together by epoxy bonds. If those bonds are broken, it's going to make the car unsafe for road and track.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to post pics of the frame, suspension bits, etc... to make that determination. The car is held together by epoxy bonds. If those bonds are broken, it's going to make the car unsafe for road and track.

I don't have those photos. The following are the only other photos I have of it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
I was curious about that right rear wheel. I'm not sure if the original is bent or really what the story is behind that.

I'm really hoping someone here can shed some light on this!
With a brake rotor sitting in the pile of broken bits I'd be pretty concerned that there is suspension damage (not necessarily frame damage though).

The key is obviously that if the frame is damaged it is essentially worthless (or a collection of spares) - but if the frame is OK yes you could make it into a track car.

When is the auction? Is there any way you can get to it or get someone you know to have a better look?

The epoxy bonds are extremely unlikely to fail - the aluminium will fail before the epoxy - the end result is the same :(

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got some more info about the car.

• Both clams are cracked.
  • Front crash structure needs to be replaced.
  • Rear subframe needs to be replaced.
  • All right side suspension parts need to be replaced.
  • Right rear brake rotor broke in half due to the impact,
  • Wheel was probably bent or cracked.
  • Assorted other parts need replacement.

The car was totaled by the insurance company due to cost of repair, the frame was supposed to be straight. Don't know how the drive line is after the impact.
the only things that really concern me are front crash structure, rear subframe, and suspension.

Is this stuff incredibly expensive, even from the salvage yard?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
the only things that really concern me are front crash structure, rear subframe, and suspension.

Is this stuff incredibly expensive, even from the salvage yard?
I bolded the important part. If the front suspension is damaged, it is very likely that the mounting points on the frame are damaged/bent. If that is the case, then the car needs a new chassis - around $15,000 or more, and the time it takes (or pay the labor) to move everything from one chassis to the new one)

So, the answer to your question is yse, some things can be incredibly expensive - and many things (such as a chassis) can't be found at a salvage yard.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spoke with the tech at the dealership that performed the estimate on the car.

He stated that the frame appeared to be in good condition but that the sub frame had a small knick in it. No bends, but a knick.

I now have a ton of pictures from the shop that were taken while it was disassembled and I would appreciate any input about anything you guys can see on it.

I'm uploading the photos to one of my servers now and i'll post the link shortly.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The front wheels are not pointing in the same direction at all. From the pics it looks like there is something vary bad going on somewhere up front. Run Forrest run.

If there is anything funny about any of the suspension mounts I would not even think about reviving this car for any use.

What’s up with the extra wheel too?

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
The front wheels are not pointing in the same direction at all. From the pics it looks like there is something vary bad going on somewhere up front. Run Forrest run.

If there is anything funny about any of the suspension mounts I would not even think about reviving this car for any use.
How did I miss that obvious point :wallbang:

What’s up with the extra wheel too?
It is the right rear (some dodgy old wheel is holding the car up but is unlikely to be attached to anything considering the rotor sitting in the pile of stuff).

·
Registered
853 Posts
A little off topic, but whenever someone sees a squashed Lotus, they should write down the VIN number and take some photos for database collection.
I agree oon keeping track of the smashed ones, and looking at the rear and front wheel stance there is some major problems with that exige.

I like Run Forest Run, there are too many good unbroken used ones available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts