The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after discovering small specs of metal in the oil filter I did some inspection with bore scope of my cylinder walls and it’s not pretty :(
Looks like I’ll be needing to build a new bottom end.
Looking at MWR options at the moment:
Their build short block is $2795
Lot’s of experience to do it right = reliability

Sleeved block $1195 plus boring and honing, reusing my crankshaft and pistons if they are in a good shape plus bunch of machine work to Ballance and properly clearance the bearings = time and cost

Stock Toyota block $1695 plus Mahle pistons $590 again local time and cost to build right...

I am running rev400 with 9:1 compression ratio and entertaining an idea to go to rev-x in the future.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A guy approached me last weekend while I was out in my Elise and said he has a Lotus motor in his garage he wants gone ASAP. His wife nodded her head too. I don't have any need of another engine, no time right now to build it up. I'm in Melbourne, FL if you think you might want it. He said it is complete but does not know the mileage. I could look at it if you think it might be something you want. He said "Cheap" but I don't know what that really means. PM me if interested.

·
Administrator
2,124 Posts
I would check with Andrew @BOE. PO of my car had lost a couple of intake cams before having a valve go and took out the block and upper end. In process of fitting new pistons and rings the cylinder walls got scratched on the new block. He sent the block to BOE and they were able to have it re Nikasil treated and were able to save the new block then they fitted new rings and pistons. Saved the weight and cost of sleeved block.

Reactions: Kubera

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
Sorry I just noticed the last time Phil was on here was 8 months ago, I hope he is well.

·
Administrator
2,124 Posts
Sorry I just noticed the last time Phil was on here was 8 months ago, I hope he is well.
Andrew and Ashley would be the ones to contact either calling or [email protected]. Phil's usually involved at the other end and the others handle questions and orders I've found. It would be interesting if it's subbed out to find out who's doing the work.

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
184 Posts
Next time I lose an engine I'm going with the built sleeved shortblock from monkeywrench. You could build it yourself, but imo its worth the money to let someone whose built a bunch of them before do it. Plus, in my experience monkeywrench has been great to work with, and will return your calls after you send them a bunch of money, unlike some other shops.

·
Administrator
2,124 Posts
When PO blew the engine rather than the two previous wiped intake cams he decided to build engine for longevity. New block and head and he used all high end components for the head with the parts being cyro'd and tempered as well as the rods. He scratched the new block when installing pistons and rings so he sent block to BOE and they were able to Nickisil the bores and save the block then they fitted the pistons and rings and sent the block back for final assembly. Billet oil pump and oil lines had work done as well. Have you checked to see if your block can be Nickisil treated? Do your due diligence with MWR engine builds but short block like you are thinking about would be a good route if you are mechanically inclined. I have ordered many parts from them no issues. BOE can build engines as well. You see many references to their black engines.

·
Administrator
2,124 Posts
Hi, I believe that the nikasil solution is no longer viable...
Why do you say that? That's how they filled the gouges in the cylinder walls and then brought it to correct inside dimensions as I understand it. Not sure of BOE process but here's link to the process....http://www.wptracing.com/cylinder-bore-reconditioning/

·
Vendor
3,282 Posts
I don't want to speak for BOE, but I lost my long-used Nikasil block last fall. Folded a piston ring over gouged the wall. I asked them about it and at the time they said they were not happy with Nikasil providers consistency in provided a good product. They were moving towards coated pistons or sleeved. This was at that time, it may have changed. I ended up using a coated piston setup, but I don't expect the stock block to last forever. I will probably do a sleeved one in the future.

·
Administrator
2,124 Posts
I don't want to speak for BOE, but I lost my long-used Nikasil block last fall. Folded a piston ring over gouged the wall. I asked them about it and at the time they said they were not happy with Nikasil providers consistency in provided a good product. They were moving towards coated pistons or sleeved. This was at that time, it may have changed. I ended up using a coated piston setup, but I don't expect the stock block to last forever. I will probably do a sleeved one in the future.
Good to know Fred that it has fallen out of favor and is no longer considered as a viable repair path. I think PO had it done 7-8 years ago. I was noticing all of the piston treatment options when I had white lightning treatment at Swaintech. Richard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts