The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start getting flamed, I have read through a ton of posts on tires and I still can't seem to get a concise list of where to start. Also a lot of the research is dated (2007) and I know new tires come out all the time.

I live in NY, so unlike most of you, I need to worry about a tire that will perform in the cold (yes, below 32 degrees).

I also use my car for street driving only (as for now). I currently have the A048's and LOVE the grip but they are too expensive for me to be replacing them every 6k miles. I would like to get more tread life out of my tires than 6k miles. Then again, if you all feel strongly about the A048's I would only have to replace the rears right now (they are practically bald). Does anyone else find the A048's noisy on the highway?

Also, I would love something that is good in the wet.

Lastly, what sizes can I look at?

If you don't want to help, don't respond. I don't need a thread telling me to do my research...that doesn't help me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Toyo T1R come in the same size as the A048. Good rain tire, good road tire. Not a tire you would track the car with.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just put Bridgestone RE01-Rs on my Elise with LSS and I am very happy with them. I haven't had them long enough to comment on wear, but it is noticeably quieter than the A048s I had on previously. I think it's a bit softer of a ride, but I don't feel like it takes away from the performance. I live in PA so, like you, am having to deal with less than ideal roads. I find the ride to be much less jarring than what I had been used to. While I usually don't take out the Elise when it's raining I've been caught in showers with both tires. The Bridgestones are much, much better as a wet tire than the A048s, IMO.

Overall I'm very happy with the Bridgestones for street use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tire rack is one of the more reliable and reasonably priced tire store. If you call their 800 # someone can suggest something to you. That's just my 99 cent. (use to be 2 cents price gone up )

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just put Bridgestone RE01-Rs on my Elise with LSS and I am very happy with them. I haven't had them long enough to comment on wear, but it is noticeably quieter than the A048s I had on previously. I think it's a bit softer of a ride, but I don't feel like it takes away from the performance. I live in PA so, like you, am having to deal with less than ideal roads. I find the ride to be much less jarring than what I had been used to.

Overall I'm very happy with the Bridgestones for street use.
+1

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Tire rack is one of the more reliable and reasonably priced tire store. If you call their 800 # someone can suggest something to you. That's just my 99 cent. (use to be 2 cents price gone up )
But almost anyone will price match tire rack and order them for you. That way you don't have to really deal with anything.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I went with the Toyo T1-R's because of the winters here in Boise. I have track and autocross tires on other rims and I don't drive like I'm racing on the street. So far, I've loved them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
F1's I love em.

I put Good Year Eagle F1's on my DD and am very happy. Good rain tire. I must admit, I partly picked them because I like the look of the tread pattern.
I have put 10,000+ miles on them and the rears barely look worn. I upsized the rears to get a wider more agressive look. They look kinda badass.
255/40/17 Rears

Good Luck,
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
reo1rs are great but hardley recomended for below freezing temps.......I am not sure what to recommend but you prob need some sort of all season if you plan on driving in freezing weather regularly and safely....

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Looking forward to this myself.
Living in Denver CO, I also get a WIDE range of temps.

So far my experience is:

The higher traction tires (AA rating) frequently get that traction with heat. With the current offering of sticky tires it seems like I love them on 90 deg days and hate them on 50 deg days.

With an "H" speed rated "A" traction tires, I seem to give up ultimate hot grip, but get a MUCH more consistent traction level regardless of ambient temperature. I did this on my DD Miata.

Hope to find the answer for a good wide temperature tire for the Elise before I need tires on the car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback.

It would seem as though we have the Toyo T1-R's, the Bridgestone REO1R's, and the Goodyear Eagle F1's.

As for the freezing comment, I obviously won't be driving the car that much when it is cold out in the winter, just when I get that itch.

Is the size most people go with (aside from stock) front 205/40/16 and rear 245/35/17?

Deloitte, i see you went much bigger in the rear. Why? I would think that a bigger tire would make this car slower given the narrow torque band the car has...thoughts?

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
+++1 for Tire Rack. Excellent service and price. :up:

When I did the Lotus driving school at spring mountain had good A048's and the difference between my AD07 "street" tires and the A048's was very noticeable in tight turns. I agree with most reviewers: AD07's for day to day driving with occaisional agressive stuff (they are fine in the rain), but A048's for track and weekend canyon use.

·
Registered
764 Posts
[cold]

Also, I would love something that is good in the wet.

Lastly, what sizes can I look at?

If you don't want to help, don't respond. I don't need a thread telling me to do my research...that doesn't help me.
The Goodyear Eagle F1 is your wet weather tire (AA grip in rain). Unlike the Yokohama, it has no warning about use in the cold. I live in Ohio, so my car sees a few miles on cold [well below freezing], dry pavement. I haven't had the Goodyears out in the winter yet.

I'm running the stock, non-sport size in the rear. I'm still running AD07 in front until they wear out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

It would seem as though we have the Toyo T1-R's, the Bridgestone REO1R's, and the Goodyear Eagle F1's.

As for the freezing comment, I obviously won't be driving the car that much when it is cold out in the winter, just when I get that itch.

Is the size most people go with (aside from stock) front 205/40/16 and rear 245/35/17?

Deloitte, i see you went much bigger in the rear. Why? I would think that a bigger tire would make this car slower given the narrow torque band the car has...thoughts?
For LSS I went with 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. Dealer had never put those on before and was concerned they might not fit. They fit fine, as others have also reported.

My car hibernates for the winter, so cold was less of an issue for me. Bridgestone/tirerack say, "The Potenza RE-01R is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have Eagle F1s

I have been very impressed with the Goodyear Eagle F1s, i have driven on them for about 2000 miles. I live in Seattle and they are great in the rain. They are also quieter and track less then the stock tires. As far as the track, i have no idea, but for street tires, they have been great. I bought these based on recommendation by sector 111.

·
Registered
648 Posts
No love for the BFG KDW's great tire in the rain easily out performed the Goodyear F1's that I had in the wet. However, if you want a tire that is good wet, will last a long time, give you decent driving feedback and is cheap I'm assuming.

Get the Yokohama S-Drives. I had the previous model the AVS 100's on a previous car and they did great in the rain, snow believe it or not and lasted a good long time.

Do know that when getting a "daily driving" tire you are not going to have nearly the same level of grip as the A048's in the dry. But you will make up for it for more predictable grip in more diverse situations.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Data point: I drove my sti in the cold on reo1s. It was prob near zero deg F out but completely dry. I could spin all 4 tires easily in the first 3 gears. While pretty fun, it was certainly not safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts