The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The a048's are finished. I would like comparable grip levels to the a048s, but increased longevity and versatility are important too. Other than the r888s, which max performance tires comes in sizes 195/50/16 and 225/45/17 (or close)?

I don't like the Bridgestone re1... (something or other) endorsed by Robert Puertas from Blackwatch.

Anybody have pictures of other tires mounted? (including r888)
Robert

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The a048's are finished. I would like comparable grip levels to the a048s, but increased longevity and versatility are important too. Other than the r888s, which max performance tires comes in sizes 195/50/16 and 225/45/17 (or close)?

I don't like the Bridgestone re1... (something or other) endorsed by Robert Puertas from Blackwatch.

Anybody have pictures of other tires mounted? (including r888)
Robert
You're going to have some difficulty finding tires with comparable grip AND appreciable increased longevity and versatility. Those are two things that had to be sacrificed to get that grip.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
R888's are great, but Toyo says you can't store them below 32 degrees. That becomes a problem for most of us in the northeast.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went with the R1Rs as a compromise between the T1Rs and the 888s. Not a bad tire, but the 888s are the ones to go with for better all around feel and performance (so long as you are not in extreme cold weather state).

Some pics of R1Rs on my car here.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these new wave tires and I specifically believe these are the AD07 #'s state not to drive them below 32 and not to store them below ~14 degrees F. Major issue is rolling them when they are cold.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the pictures...Why can't r888's be driven below freezing?
I drove my a048's below freezing once and they were squirrely, but
driveable.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
thanks for the pictures...Why can't r888's be driven below freezing?
I drove my a048's below freezing once and they were squirrely, but
driveable.
maybe the tolerances of the A048 are different from the R888

where as the A048 heat cycles out of grip much earlier than the R888

each tire has their advantages and disadvantages :up:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Honestly, any high-performance tire on Tire Rack has this disclaimer. I think that is a CYA with respect to using such tires in colder climates that may have the propensity for black ice. I could be wrong, though.

However, being in insurance, I'd say that's why. Less from a functionality standpoint and more from a liability standpoint. I'm sure some idiot wrecked his car/hurt himself when he hit a patch of ice and didn't have all-season or winter tires and subsequently sued because nobody told him that he shouldn't use summer tires in winter.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I just put some Cooper Zeon 2XS on my car because my A048s were showin thread. Im having a title problem with the car and didnt want to spend 600 on two tires I might not be able to keep.

I put the 245 45 17s on my car and the grip is actually pretty good. The sidewall isnt as stiff, so there is a little more roll and hop when cornering but nothing really negative.

Tread rating on these is 280, where as the A048s are 60:eek:

If I keep the car im buying a set of track wheels and getting a full set of A048s again though, there are the best tire Ive even driven.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yea, the first day at the track. Good for 12-15 heat cycles tops then you'd be better off with the ADO7's. I know because I did just that at a track day and the heatcycled A048's were now slower than a half worn set of AD07's.

Toyos are incomparable for there grip and esp the longevity over which they give you grip!!! Like to the cords!!!:nanner2:

·
Banned
874 Posts
make sure this doesn't happen....:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Another vote for the 888's. I LOVE them on this car. Even my wife prefers them to the 48's, which when cycled, really lose their grip.

The 888's are MUCH better than the 48's in the rain as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts