The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any sources of quality- reasonbly priced paint for our Lotus cars (almost said Lotuses or Loti but didn't want ot get flamed)? Do you have any opinion about brands?

I have used Automotive Touch-up as a souorce for those little touch-up bottles and for paint in an aerosol can and I have to say their color match for Racing Green and Saffron Yellow have been spot on.

I need to buy a couple of quarts of the same colors now and am just not familiar enough with quality differentials that I am confident that the quality of their paint is there. Not to say that it isn't. I just won't know until I lay it down on stuff and I really don't care to find out that way.

I went to the one local source we have in this neck of the woods and their price for 1 quart of primer, color, and clear was HUNDREDS of dollars. It is PPG, but $200 for one quart of color?

Anyway - if you have a source or opinion as to quality of the different brrands, much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Honestly, I'd just go to my local independent body shop and ask them to mix up a quart. Should be no biggie.

BTW, for others - Automotivetouchup.com sells rattle can paint in oem colors. It is FANTASTIC. I've done random parts here and there (engine covers/etc) using the Saffron rattle can and it has been ideal.

I just painted my Moke in Porsche Riviera Blue. I sprayed a sample board - primer/paint (2 coats) and clear (3 coats) using the Automotive Touch up Stuff. Painter was blown away by the quality of my sample board. And the stuff dries SUPER fast. Sign me up as a huge advocate for Automotive Touch Up.

Oh, and get the 'Dr Color Chip' because the model on the commercial (that's on every 5 seconds) has glorious chesticles.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I appreciate that. But Auto. Touch-up is less than a hundred dollars. Which is why I ask my follow-up question about quality. If I was painting the body - I would be buying the best and having someone else apply it. But for side skirts and the like that I am going to shoot myself, how much is my skill going to affect it versus the lower quality?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Honestly, I painted my splitter using the automotive touch up stuff and it looked great. Only issue is that the quality of the clear won't be as good

Another option is to do what I did with my engine covers. I painted them and had a body shop clear then for like $20. They shoot clear all day every day so should be no big thang

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
A quart of automotive paint will make close to 1/2 a gallon once you add the hardener in it.

Touch up paint already has it mixed in or is a different paint, not at good.

Napa will mix auto paint in rattle cans for $18, probably 1 or 2 would be plenty to do your skirts.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Another thing on Autotouch up - buy the full system. Sandable primer, paint, gloss clear coat.

Their clear coat is FANTASTIC.

Primer, wait 30 min.
Color - 2 coats, 7 min between. Wait 30 min
Clear - 3-4 coats, 5-10 min between.

Done.

Amazing quality in like an hour. Its amazing, but I've sprayed stuff and ZERO orange peel or fish eye - from a rattle can. If you do plastic stuff, get the Adhesion Promoter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Old thread, I know. I had the same fiberglass repair I had to do. Ordered primer/base/clear from AutomotiveTouchUp in Racing Green. The color match was quite good. I ordered the spray cans. I didn't have enough to paint to spray traditionally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts