The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am looking to replace the AD048 at 195/50/16 and 225/45/17 with new tires.
i am not looking at Yoko's AD048's since they didnt last long

My criteria are:
1.must last at least 15-20k miles-street use only
2.i dont care about wet traction.
3.must retain very good grip in dry pavement
4.be 150mph higher rated
5.not empty my wallet
i've heard aboout the Toyo t1r,r1r.i've heard about the Bridge. re01r.
do you reccomend any of these or any other tires?
:wallbang:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
r-888 will not last the mileage i want.its too high performance

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I like the Toyo R888's (more track - less mileage) and the Bridgestone RE-01R's (more street - better wear). Search for both on here and you will find a lot of information.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any opinions on Dunlop Direzza?i've read a ton of posts on tires but cant seem to meet the requirements i want.
i need them to last lots of miles...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what sizes in Re-01r's will do?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Direzza Z1, Kumho SPT, T1R, Goodyear G3-DS (or whatever they're called) should last 15-20K street miles

I don't think the RE-01R or R1R will last even 12K street miles on the rears, R888 or equiv definitely won't last that long.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
My criteria are:
1.must last at least 15-20k miles-street use only
2.i dont care about wet traction.
3.must retain very good grip in dry pavement
4.be 150mph higher rated
5.not empty my wallet
I think your list of requirements is unsatisfiable. 4 and 5, for example, are exclusive of each other. High performance tires are expensive.

So are 1 and 3. Tires that grip don't last.

What do you really want?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think I'd have to disagree with you, Chris. With the advent of the ST* classes in autox, there's quite a few inexpensive, high performance tire options out there. Of course, this depends on your definition of 'inexpensive,' but there's quite a few 150mph+ tires right around $125/tire in 225/45/17 (RT-615, FK452, Dunlop Z1, Hankook RS2 Z212.... look at the usual ST* tire players). The challenge is just finding those tires in the Lotus' size, especially on the fronts.

While grip and life are inversely proportional, it's pretty possible to get decent tread life out of many high performance tires nowadays. I've got about 15k and a dozen or so autoxes on my Bridgestone RE070s on my STi, which is a much heavier car than the Elise, and there's still plenty of life left. Tires like the A048s won't last that long, but do you really need 60 treadwear tires for street use only? If you're exceeding the capabilities of tires like the Re070, RT-615, Z1s, etc, on the street.. I humbly suggest that you slow down before you kill someone.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I recently replaced my A048s with some BF Goodrich KWD IIs and I am very happy with them. I expect to get 15K miles out of them with mostly street use, they aren't uber expensive, they look cool, and grip levels are still very very good for a street tire. Also, they are much better in the wet than the 48's. I'd recommend them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts