The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise storm titanium
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hoping to get a few experienced opinions on my cam lobes. Apologies if this is in the wrong section...
I can't feel any ridges with my fingernails and they seem ok but I am not very familiar with the issue so what do I know?!
I did the inspection because it doesn't seem to be going into lift. It revs to 8500 but there definitely is not that shove of acceleration at 6200. Was guessing at least the intake cam was wiped but maybe not??

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.
Cheers
20200503_141135.jpg
20200503_141144.jpg
20200503_141153.jpg
20200503_141210.jpg
20200503_141219.jpg
20200503_141223.jpg
20200503_141226.jpg

·
Administrator
4,448 Posts
The lobes show normal wear but don't look wiped have you inspected your lift bolts?

·
Administrator
4,448 Posts
Link to similar issue....https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/second-cam-not-working-on-elise.193010/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Catsailr27 for the reply and link!

I did pull the lift bolts while I was in there but didn't have tools to measure them at the moment. They looked similar to new ones but that was just me eyeballing (expected a wiped cam so pulled the cover before ordering lift bolts). Will get some on order since they are so cheap. Good info, will look into the vvt/OCVs next I think. Checked fuses and they looked good but will go back and use a multimeter on them.

Thanks again, will keep digging....

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should both feel that shove and hear a decidedly angrier tone when the lift lobes come on line...that is where the Elise gets its superpowers!

When I checked mine, I replaced the lift bolts; bought a pack of 10 from the Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you rightruddder for the reply and additional data point! My wear looks similar to yours so feel comfortable ruling out wiped cams.

Other actions taken:
Tested the R6 fuse and its fine
Removed the OCV tested and blew it out, was operational when 12v was applied

Will replace the lift bolts next when they come in.

Hmmm....🤔

Edit: Car has 32,500 miles on it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great question me73! Previous owner didn't mention it but he bought from a dealer so unsure. It feels quick, has good low end/mid range grunt and very linear power delivery so maybe it has a BOE 200/similar tune. I swear I hear a cam change like noise much earlier than 6200rpm but it's been raining here for the last two days so haven't taken it back out for a drive since tearing into it.

Backstory:
Just bought the car but it was at altitude, 6000+ ft asl. I've driven this motor in a matrix XRS at sea level and am familiar with the cam change. During the test drive I assumed the lack of big kick (felt a little something) was due to the altitude as I've lived at both 7600 and 500 ft asl and know how it can really reduce power output. But, I got the car back to near sea level and still no big cam kick. It does have a K&N intake from 2 owners ago so maybe he put a tune on it? Might take it to a nearby dyno, after changing the lift bolts, to get some actual output data.

Will take some acceleration videos next time I take it out.

·
Administrator
4,448 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am thinking of checking my cams as well, have not done this before. Do you have to put in a new sealer when putting the valve cover back on? Or use some type of sealant? What is to be used? The value bolts, there is no harm in taking them out and putting the same back in? What torque are the valve bolts? The bolts for the valve cover, is the correct torque 7-ft.lbs / 9,5 nm?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am thinking of checking my cams as well, have not done this before. Do you have to put in a new sealer when putting the valve cover back on? Or use some type of sealant? What is to be used? The value bolts, there is no harm in taking them out and putting the same back in? What torque are the valve bolts? The bolts for the valve cover, is the correct torque 7-ft.lbs / 9,5 nm?
You can reuse the lift bolts if there's no evidence of excessive wear, but I figured at about $1.25/bolt from the Toyota dealer, why not? No goop required for the rubber seal; I treated it like an oil filter gasket and applied a light smear of engine oil before reassembly. Lift bolt torque is 5.5 ft-lb, or 66 in-lb if you have a wrench calibrated in those units. Not sure on the valve cover bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts