The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my LSS wheels repainted at Mulholland Motorsports as they had gotten some scuffs (Julio is the man). I was expecting the wheels to be a nice bright silver with a hint of black behind them (how they came from Lotus – I believe the name of the color is ‘Hyperblack’). When I got the wheels back, they now look to be a sort of gunmetal color. I don’t hate it, but it isn’t what I originally wanted.

Question: what looks better – the original silver, or this new gunmetal color?

Here is what the original silver wheels looked like (next post has new color)

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here is what the new color looks like (took it to Queen’s English along with the other Elise/Exige’s).

I need opinions – was this a happy accident? What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love gunmetal (my daily driver has aftermarket gunmetal rims). In your case, I feel that the original silver looks sharper. Both colors work. You have a beautiful car, and you have to like it. Don’t listen to us...

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
814 Posts
Contrast is good. Generally light wheels look better with a dark car. Dark wheels with a light car may or may not look better to you.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
I can’t stand black wheels on any car. I was going to go silver, but decided to go a little crazy with shocker yellow over chrome Examples

Attachments

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Thumbs up for the silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
I like the gunmetal myself. The green isn’t a loud color, so I don’t think the brightness of the wheels should shout either. The car looks more elegant in my opinion, which my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

I would go with it and see if they grow on you. What “looks better” doesn’t always matter as everyone will never agree. If you’re open to change, just look at it as just that, a change. I’d say this is a happy accident and if you want to change color in the future, scuff up this paint over the next few years and try another combo!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I agree with Wulf (gunmetal).

San

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,277 Posts
The original is better, but those look nice from the 10' back photo. But I don't know they can get them restored to that at the price point you probably paid. They were most likely reconditioned and the factory finish was lost so they would need to be painted now to get close, as opposed to clearing the new or anodized factory finish. Just guessing here.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Survey says...

Silver: 9 Votes
Gunmetal: 6 Votes

Funny enough, I happen to agree... so make that 10 for silver :D

I think what I'll do is live with it for a bit like Wulf suggested and see if I feel like changing it back soon. And thanks to Julio's wizardry, the price I paid was agreeable enough to warrant a change of heart, if I had one.

Decisions, decisions...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts