The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Elise
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in search for a daily friendly OE equivalent clutch for a 2006 Elise and considering below 3 candidates.

1. Exedy stage1 organic clutch kit 16800
2. Exedy KTY14 OEM replacement
3. Aisin CKT-076 OE replacement

Do you have an opinion on best OE equivalent clutch?
I think Aisin is the supplier for the OE clutch for normally aspirated Elise, but would like to confirm with experts.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Per the Golden gate Lotus club parts page:

Fed Clutch Disc Toyota 31250-52100
Fed Pressure Plate Toyota 31210-12251
Fed Throwout Bearing Toyota 31230-12191

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
If you're not trying to lose some flywheel/clutch component mass, there's no reason not to go back with the stock parts. Like most Toyota pieces, they're engineered for long life and consistent behavior.

BTW, most drivetrain things for a 2ZZ Elige can be found by looking up the same part for a 2005 Toyota Celica GTS (ZZ231), 2005 Toyota Matrix XRs / Pontiac Vibe GT, or 2005 Toyota Corolla XRs.

We use the Matrix/Corolla airbox, and the Celica shifter linkage, for example.

If your favorite online parts source is being difficult about part numbers, try JAPANESE GENUINE OEM PARTS CATALOG|JP-CarParts.com who have an excellent search tool, although you might have to figure out what the Japanese market model name of 'that car' is.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
i can confirm that the exedy clutches are very similar to oem. I like mine.

·
Registered
2006 Elise
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're not trying to lose some flywheel/clutch component mass, there's no reason not to go back with the stock parts. Like most Toyota pieces, they're engineered for long life and consistent behavior.

BTW, most drivetrain things for a 2ZZ Elige can be found by looking up the same part for a 2005 Toyota Celica GTS (ZZ231), 2005 Toyota Matrix XRs / Pontiac Vibe GT, or 2005 Toyota Corolla XRs.

We use the Matrix/Corolla airbox, and the Celica shifter linkage, for example.

If your favorite online parts source is being difficult about part numbers, try JAPANESE GENUINE OEM PARTS CATALOG|JP-CarParts.com who have an excellent search tool, although you might have to figure out what the Japanese market model name of 'that car' is.
Thank You!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
For anyone looking to save some $$ on genuine Toyota parts, I've had good luck with Carmarka.com lately. The part numbers listed above are priced at $56.64, $74.84 and $18.50 respectively.

·
Registered
2006 Elise
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone looking to save some $$ on genuine Toyota parts, I've had good luck with Carmarka.com lately. The part numbers listed above are priced at $56.64, $74.84 and $18.50 respectively.
Thank you again jdawson!! You rock!

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
Incidentally, when I put a clutch in my '92 Celica, I ordered the Aisin part from Rock Auto and it was an exact replacement (down to stamping numbers) for the OE plate and disc that came out. Cheap as well, as I recall.

·
Registered
2006 Elise
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Incidentally, when I put a clutch in my '92 Celica, I ordered the Aisin part from Rock Auto and it was an exact replacement (down to stamping numbers) for the OE plate and disc that came out. Cheap as well, as I recall.
Thank you for confirming Steelypip! This helps a lot.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Nice! Thank you for sharing.
Where did you order your 16800 clutch from?
I bought mine from MWR as the poster above. They had an odd sort of listing for it, at the time they called it a stage 2 racing clutch, but all the torque capacities looked fairly tame (EXEDY Clutch Kit - 1ZZ/2ZZ All - ST2 Street Organic )

If you're changing the clutch, you should resurface the flywheel, and you'll also want to replace the pressure plate bolts as I understand they are not intended to be re-used.;

·
Registered
2006 Elise
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought mine from MWR as the poster above. They had an odd sort of listing for it, at the time they called it a stage 2 racing clutch, but all the torque capacities looked fairly tame (EXEDY Clutch Kit - 1ZZ/2ZZ All - ST2 Street Organic )

If you're changing the clutch, you should resurface the flywheel, and you'll also want to replace the pressure plate bolts as I understand they are not intended to be re-used.;
Thanks, I plan to get a new stock equiv flywheel and new fasteners for all clutch parts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice! Looks like you got yourself an Exedy KTY14 which is almost same as 16800 at half the price.
Thanks for sharing!
Ahhh...that explains the price difference. I got the 16800, which most places list as the Stage 1 clutch. I bought mine at wheelwell.com, but they don't seem to carry it anymore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts