The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ahhh...that explains the price difference. I got the 16800, which most places list as the Stage 1 clutch. I bought mine at wheelwell.com, but they don't seem to carry it anymore.
what motivated you to get 16800 over KTY14?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm on my 2nd ACT-HDSS and will get another when needed...

·
Registered
2006 Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm on my 2nd ACT-HDSS and will get another when needed...
Wow! that means you are on at least 3rd (maybe more) clutch!. Would you like to share your thoughts on things to check/replace at every clutch replacement?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Correct, on my 3rd clutch. I check the same consumables whenever I'm under her, not just for clutch replacement(s)... Inspect rear toe links, engine mounts, serpentine belt, signs of any leaks, etc...

·
Registered
2006 Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Correct, on my 3rd clutch. I check the same consumables whenever I'm under her, not just for clutch replacement(s)... Inspect rear toe links, engine mounts, serpentine belt, signs of any leaks, etc...
Thanks for sharing, do you have some type of rear clam hinge/quick release installed? If yes, would you pls share your thoughts on them? Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I went with the Radium Kit and can have the rear clam removed in <30min. The BOE Hinge would be easier in hindsight but I don't regret my decision...

·
Registered
2006 Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I went with the Radium Kit and can have the rear clam removed in <30min. The BOE Hinge would be easier in hindsight but I don't regret my decision...
I like the way BOE hinge works too, however I would rather remove the clam when I am replacing the clutch or plan to remove engine/transmission for rebuild hence I am leaning to Radium Kit as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
what motivated you to get 16800 over KTY14?
With the amount of work it was to replace the clutch, I thought I'd go with an upgrade rather than wish I had later. I also installed a Radium quick clam kit while I had the clam removed. I considered a hinge kit, but it's a lot more expensive, and even with the hinge kit, you still have to remove parts before you can open it.

·
Registered
2006 Elise
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
With the amount of work it was to replace the clutch, I thought I'd go with an upgrade rather than wish I had later. I also installed a Radium quick clam kit while I had the clam removed. I considered a hinge kit, but it's a lot more expensive, and even with the hinge kit, you still have to remove parts before you can open it.
Thank you for the good input! I plan to order Radium quick clam kit for same reasons. Would you be able to elaborate on other things you addressed while you had clam open to replace the clutch?

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Hmm, i didn't see the need to remove the clam for a clutch install. I'm probably not remembering it all but most of your work will be underneath the car. I also removed and reinstalled an SC with the clam on... if I ever do that again I'm going to remove the rear clam.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thank you for the good input! I plan to order Radium quick clam kit for same reasons. Would you be able to elaborate on other things you addressed while you had clam open to replace the clutch?
The only other thing I did was replacing the serpentine belt.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts