The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Need recommendation: OE equivalent clutch for a stock Elise

4K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  h20ham 
#1 ·
I am in search for a daily friendly OE equivalent clutch for a 2006 Elise and considering below 3 candidates.

1. Exedy stage1 organic clutch kit 16800
2. Exedy KTY14 OEM replacement
3. Aisin CKT-076 OE replacement

Do you have an opinion on best OE equivalent clutch?
I think Aisin is the supplier for the OE clutch for normally aspirated Elise, but would like to confirm with experts.

#4 ·
If you're not trying to lose some flywheel/clutch component mass, there's no reason not to go back with the stock parts. Like most Toyota pieces, they're engineered for long life and consistent behavior.

BTW, most drivetrain things for a 2ZZ Elige can be found by looking up the same part for a 2005 Toyota Celica GTS (ZZ231), 2005 Toyota Matrix XRs / Pontiac Vibe GT, or 2005 Toyota Corolla XRs.

We use the Matrix/Corolla airbox, and the Celica shifter linkage, for example.

If your favorite online parts source is being difficult about part numbers, try JAPANESE GENUINE OEM PARTS CATALOG|JP-CarParts.com who have an excellent search tool, although you might have to figure out what the Japanese market model name of 'that car' is.

#7 ·
If you're not trying to lose some flywheel/clutch component mass, there's no reason not to go back with the stock parts. Like most Toyota pieces, they're engineered for long life and consistent behavior.

BTW, most drivetrain things for a 2ZZ Elige can be found by looking up the same part for a 2005 Toyota Celica GTS (ZZ231), 2005 Toyota Matrix XRs / Pontiac Vibe GT, or 2005 Toyota Corolla XRs.

We use the Matrix/Corolla airbox, and the Celica shifter linkage, for example.

If your favorite online parts source is being difficult about part numbers, try JAPANESE GENUINE OEM PARTS CATALOG|JP-CarParts.com who have an excellent search tool, although you might have to figure out what the Japanese market model name of 'that car' is.
Thank You!!

#24 ·
Correct, on my 3rd clutch. I check the same consumables whenever I'm under her, not just for clutch replacement(s)... Inspect rear toe links, engine mounts, serpentine belt, signs of any leaks, etc...

#27 ·
I like the way BOE hinge works too, however I would rather remove the clam when I am replacing the clutch or plan to remove engine/transmission for rebuild hence I am leaning to Radium Kit as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

#30 ·
Hmm, i didn't see the need to remove the clam for a clutch install. I'm probably not remembering it all but most of your work will be underneath the car. I also removed and reinstalled an SC with the clam on... if I ever do that again I'm going to remove the rear clam.

#34 ·
Decided to go with 16800. It fit perfectly and felt great

Alignment between transmission and engine after clutch install was memorable.

Decided to upgrade toe links after putting transmission on the engine

Slave cylinder didn't feel smooth, so decided to have it replaced with a new slave cylinder.

Replaced tired oem.bushings with uniballs during my break

While putting new transmission oil in, new oil filters arrived at my door so decided to do an oil change.

Spark plugs were original so decided to swap them with new ones while oil was being drained.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Automotive exterior

After alignment, decided to hit coastal roads....

#37 ·
I use lift point C and B with my quickjack.

I was skeptical and concerned with using quickjack too so I understand where you are coming from. However, I found quickjack to be very effective in doing both front and rear end work I performed on my elise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.