The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to take the battery out of the car for safety purpose. :)

What's the cheapest battery tender I can buy that can keep the battery in good condition for few months?

Would be great if anyone can give tips on taking the battery out, even if I can figure it out myself, since this is just different car than any other normal cars.

Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Battery tender

Removing the battery is no problem, unsnap the two carpet snaps that hold the cover in place, lift the cover slightly and pull it straight out. remove the clamp bolt, slide the battery toward the center and remove the two cables....easier than most cars. S1 is much harder. The Battery Tender brand battery charger is worth the extra money and works very well. the Schumacher brand tender is 1/3 cheaper and works half as well. The chinese knock offs from Harbor Freight don't work at all and are typical of cheap chinese junk on the market.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Removing the battery is no problem, unsnap the two carpet snaps that hold the cover in place, lift the cover slightly and pull it straight out. remove the clamp bolt, slide the battery toward the center and remove the two cables....easier than most cars. S1 is much harder. The Battery Tender brand battery charger is worth the extra money and works very well. the Schumacher brand tender is 1/3 cheaper and works half as well. The chinese knock offs from Harbor Freight don't work at all and are typical of cheap chinese junk on the market.
+1 for the above except I have had very good luck with this Schumacher charger/tender SEM-1562A - 1.5 amp Battery Companion ® . I have used 4 of these tenders for years ('98 Chevy Pickup, '47 Beech Bonanza airplane, '05 Elise with an Odyssey dry cell, lawn tractor switched back and forth with my motorcycle) and have not needed to replace a battery on any of these vehicles or had damage to a battery from overcharging. These are all very different batteries and the tender works great on all of them. The battery in the truck is still the original that GM put in there in '98 and it is still going strong and the batteries in the tractor, motorcycle and airplane are well over 5 years old. Before I had these tenders I used to replace batteries all the time due to my vehicles sitting too long, especially the motorcycle. The last Schumacher tender I purchased from the local farm supply store only cost $17.99. They are plugged in and attached to my batteries all year long and I have yet to have one burn out, but even if it did, they have paid for themselves many times over.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Just to add another opinion...

I prefer the Battery MINDer. It's essentially the same as the Battery Tender Jr. but adds a mode to the charger that conditions the battery to "reverse" the sulfation that happens internally in the battery. So far, it's worked very well on my batteries and seems to have extended the life of them significantly. But yes, it does cost a little bit more - not a lot, but it's still a few bucks more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree... Battery Minder all the way. I have pigtails on about 6 of my batteries and I rotate the "Minder" among them.

I prefer the Battery MINDer. It's essentially the same as the Battery Tender Jr. but adds a mode to the charger that conditions the battery to "reverse" the sulfation that happens internally in the battery. So far, it's worked very well on my batteries and seems to have extended the life of them significantly. But yes, it does cost a little bit more - not a lot, but it's still a few bucks more.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking either the Schumacher model or Tender Jr. Which one is better? Does one offer better feature than the other? Looking at the $ saved, I should have buy Schumacher, but then the price is about the same. Not quite sure myself, never buy this thing before. Battery Minder costs $15 more (50% more) than either Schumacher or Tender Jr.

Amazon.com: BatteryMINDer 12 Volt 1 Amp: Automotive
Amazon.com: Deltran Battery Tender Junior 12-Volt .75 Amp Battery Charger: Automotive
Amazon.com: Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Slow Charge Battery Companion: Automotive

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Going to take the battery out of the car for safety purpose. :)

What's the cheapest battery tender I can buy that can keep the battery in good condition for few months?

Would be great if anyone can give tips on taking the battery out, even if I can figure it out myself, since this is just different car than any other normal cars.

Thanks.
I still like these (I have three and they're all I've ever felt I needed). Work flawlessly, never a problem, and very inexpensive.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

$7.99 at local stores or through 'Net or mail/phone order.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm going to display my ignorance with this question:

Do you need to disconnect or take the battery out of the car to use these tenders/chargers?

I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and returned to a dead (relatively new) Odyssey. Now I'm looking for a tender, too.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
nope, so long as tender can supply more current than car draws while its off.

i need to add one to mine so i decided just to make an OBD II plug to a cigarette lighter socket/tender so i just plug it in the OBD2 port to maintain a charge while the cars garaged, nice and easy.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Okay, its slightly geeky but... I bought one of these on e-bay about a month ago. Seems to be working great. We will see how it does in the shorter winder daylight months.

COLEMAN 5W Solar Panel 12V BATTERY CHARGER

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
nope, so long as tender can supply more current than car draws while its off.

i need to add one to mine so i decided just to make an OBD II plug to a cigarette lighter socket/tender so i just plug it in the OBD2 port to maintain a charge while the cars garaged, nice and easy.
Since the 'accessory' socket in the Elise/Exige is hot all the time, I just adapted a regular automotive power plug from Radio Shack and simply plug 'er in when I park in the garage.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I couldn't decide between the Tender and the MindR, so since I had two cars that needed to be tended - I got both models.
both seem to work just fine, although the MindR, which was a few bucks more, has a "conditioning" mode or something.

-rather than rig my own Cig lighter connection, I just bought the adapter sold for both models (it's interchangeable)
-I also picked up the 10' extension cable.
got 'em all at: Batteries: Laptop Batteries, Battery Chargers and more - BatteryMart.com

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

Will this work with a lithium battery? I have the Voltphreaks 4.5 lb battery. Didn't know if "reversing the sulfation":crazyeyes will matter on a lithium.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I still like these (I have three and they're all I've ever felt I needed). Work flawlessly, never a problem, and very inexpensive.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

$7.99 at local stores or through 'Net or mail/phone order.
One word of caution on those...

The HF charger have been extensively discussed on another list I'm on. Some people have absolutely no problem with the HF charger. But several others have had ones that failed. In at least one case, the failure mode caused it to vastly overcharge the battery and ruin the battery.

Like all things Harbor Freight, some things are great and some are terrible. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just got the Tender Jr. Just wondering if anyone actually use the cigarette lighter to charge the car battery. If so, anyone know where the hole is on the firewall so I can slide a cable to interior of the car instead of slide it through the window?

And to be sure, the car is using negative ground systems (negative connects to chassis / ground), right? I haven't really check out the battery in this car before, but I have work with most cars and usually it's using negative ground systems. :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Just got the Tender Jr. Just wondering if anyone actually use the cigarette lighter to charge the car battery. If so, anyone know where the hole is on the firewall so I can slide a cable to interior of the car instead of slide it through the window?

And to be sure, the car is using negative ground systems (negative connects to chassis / ground), right? I haven't really check out the battery in this car before, but I have work with most cars and usually it's using negative ground systems. :)
I just park in the garage and send the cigarette lighter adapter through the window. I think you may be overthinking this...:D You don't have to connect any wires to the car at all if you have the cigarette lighter adapter, just plug that into the cigarette lighter socket between the seats. You can even arm the alarm with it like that and the microwave sensor will tell you if anyone (or anything like a cat) goes in through the open window.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I only keep my window open a crack, and keep it plugged into the cig lighter.

The only downside is that when I open the garage door to show friends the car for the first time, a few mistakenly believe it's an electric car that's been plugged in!!! :wallbang:

well, guess having them thing it's a Tesla isn't all tooo bad. rotfl

·
Registered
764 Posts
I use the 800 mA water-resistant one. That way I don't have to worry about dust and condensation there in the barn. I use the cig adapter and run the cord through the window. I set the unit itself on the steering wheel column in the gauge pod. Makes it easy to see the LEDs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts