The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what would you guys and gals do in this situation...what if a dealer was willing to sell a car at certain price but says they want the car completely paid for before they ship it out...they wont release car until completely paid for so they will not use a escrow company...I have called them and it appears to be a legitimate dealer but who really knows...its hard for me to send this sum of money to a stranger w/out having title in hand or other re-assurances...I have never purchased a car like this before so Im abit wary...Im tempted to to fly there just to sign the papers but obviously I really dont want to do this.

Dont want to say which dealership until deal closes.

BTW, although they are official Lotus dealer they must be fairly small outfit cause I have never heard of them before, hence making me nervous.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
My dealer was from out of state as well and they wanted the money wired before sending any paperwork, let your bank handle it, they will ask the dealer for copies of the certificate of origin (or a fax of it) and other things.

If the dealer is in the lotus official site of dealers I don't know why you should doubt them.

One thing, the bank president had to assume responsibility for about 24 hours until the real certificate of origin got to their hands, but I told him that I would take the responsability if anything went wrong (i.e no car)

Also I had the car insured before the money was transfered to them.

the wire transfer is proof they did received payment for the car so if no car was delivered then I would have enougth proof to take legal actions, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Also the dealer faxed me a tax exception form from their state so I only had to pay taxes here in TX.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i just flew to the car and drove it home. all 950 miles. pales compared to what SOME people around here are willing to do!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
mact3333 said:
BTW, although they are official Lotus dealer they must be fairly small outfit cause I have never heard of them before, hence making me nervous.

Call Lotus and ask them if they are an "Official" dealer. If they are not run for the hills as they have already lied to you...

You can never be too careful:eek:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: need some help with buying a car from out of state.

Patricko said:
Call Lotus and ask them if they are an "Official" dealer. If they are not run for the hills as they have already lied to you...

You can never be too careful:eek:
they are listed as official dealer on Lotus website...and they answer the phone like a real business so perhaps Im just being paranoid, but that is a good thing when youre talking about sending someone this amt of money sight unseen on faith/trust alone.

You guys think wiring money is safer than cashiers check in name of dealership or other way around???

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Re: Re: Re: need some help with buying a car from out of state.

mact3333 said:
they are listed as official dealer on Lotus website...and they answer the phone like a real business so perhaps Im just being paranoid, but that is a good thing when youre talking about sending someone this amt of money sight unseen on faith/trust alone.

You guys think wiring money is safer than cashiers check in name of dealership or other way around???
If that is the case you should be ok.

I had to pay for my car in full before my dealer would let me take it...that is normal.

Wire is better as you don't have to get it to them and it is the same day.

I think you have a healthy level of paranoia:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, if they're an official dealer you shouldn't worry. Just send them the check and have them send you the car. I FedExed my check and then my car arrived on a truck a month later...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts