The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone can help me out with a couple of things.

Anyone know what I should do about cleaning up the engine besides removing.

I seem to be missing the "Charge Cooler" plate I see on most cars. Any thoughts?

I'd like to change my pedals out for something better. I'm sure there are some good after market ones available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
For cleaning the visible areas of the engine compartment (the top), I normally use a spray cleaner like "Simple Green" to remove dirt (with paper towels) and then "Armor All" to shine things up to a semi-gloss. If you want all out shiny glossyness, go for "Turtle Wax F21 Protectant".

These will really bring your plastic and rubber parts back to life.

You can see some before and after pics of mine here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/rod-bearing-saga-pics-111158/

- Kent

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
RE Simple Green and similar cleaners. Simple Green is highly corrosive to aluminum. SG makes another product that is safe for aluminum, but I recommend an aviation-specific product called Grime Off. Grime Off is Boeing approved, and is used by several major airlines to clean landing gear.

You can buy it at gliaviation.com. In the order notes, put "CarSalesman sent me", you might get a discount. The owner of that company is an acquaintance (I have absolutely no financial interest). The product works great, especially on exterior and interior of the car. It will eat the dirt out of the paint pores, just let it soak for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
667 Posts
SG makes another product that is safe for aluminum, but I recommend an aviation-specific product called Grime Off.
Good advice if you have bare metal surfaces. There are also a number of stainless steel polish sprays out there that are usually safe for many types of metal. I use these for the muffler and some other bits.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I first cleaned my engine comapartment area; I used simple green. It seemed to work good as a degreaser. Not long after though, all the painted parts (orange) started flaking. I don't know for sure if it was related to the use of simple green, but I don't think I'll use it for that again.
Frank

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Check out Griotsgarage.com for all kinds of great and expensive cleaning and detailing products. For the leather go over to leatherique.com. Be careful where you get water on the motor. You do not want to mess up the ignition system. Looks like this car need a lot of TLC. If you do take the motor out there are a lot of things you should want to do besides cleaning. The list includes:
Replacing the fuel tanks
Replacing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump
All of the hoses
Replacing the cam tower seals
Checking and adjusting the valves
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not long after though, all the painted parts (orange) started flaking. I don't know for sure if it was related to the use of simple green, but I don't think I'll use it for that again.
Frank
Yeah, maybe best not to use it then! I just mentioned it since sometimes you do need to actually start with some kind of cleaning product before going to the armor all type products for shining. But if you do, be sure to follow it up with a shine product to protect things.

I suppose you could also just use a lot of the shine product to work the dirt loose and it would be safe.

I use "Lexol" on the leather and it works really well too.

·
Registered
911 Posts
To clean your engine up, what worked for me is to have a intermittant problem that you just cant put your finger on what is causing it, then upon disassembling everything trying to find the root of problem, either replace, clean or paint everything when you reassemble it.

Actually, my engine looked alot like yours and that is how I got it looking so much better now a days. When I bought the car though, I gave it a very thorough wash with engine cleaner and my garden hose. Just be sure not to get water in where it shouldnt be, like the timing opening in the transmission. You can easily remove the trunk panel and do the transmission as well. If your careful this will give you a very good start. I would not do this with the car hot, and do it somewhere where the car can sit and dry for a while in case you get something wet that will not let the car restart til its dry. I have done this to numerous vehicles I have owned, but alot of people dont like this approach, as like I said you have to be very careful WHAT you get wet, but a very dirty motor, requires very drastic measures to clean it up quickly or at least get a handle on what parts will need refinished rather than just "cleaned".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts