The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 2ZZ Turbo MRS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for some suggestions for an unusual clutch. So, here’s a little background. I previously owned a 05 Elise and have recently moved on to some of my many other projects. One of these projects includes an EFR turbocharged 2ZZGE. The exact specifications and hardware are not really important. What matters is that the supporting equipment should theoretically be capable of upwards of 300 ft/lbs of torque.

Everyone has said the 2ZZGE clutch won’t hold any decent boost. Well, after I was able to get my ignition timing under control and bump up the dwell settings the car is now quite peppy at my low boost setting of 10 PSI. Boost comes on fast, very early and feels like a supercharger. However, halfway through my low boost street tuning session yesterday I let autotune have at the ignition timing. The added torque pushed the clutch over the edge and it started slipping at about 6500 RPM. Frankly I’m a bit surprised it put up with what I estimate was probably well over 200 ft/lbs given the ignition timing and boost levels.

At any rate, I will need a much stronger clutch. As I mentioned the supporting systems in the car are good for around 300-350 ft/lbs of torque (yeah the transmission may explode too). So, I would like something that can theoretically handle that potential. However, this is a street car that my wife sometimes drives. So it will need as OEM like pedal effort and engagement as can be possible holding that much torque. The clutch does not need to live through standing starts or drag racing. Again, no track duty just GOBS or torque once engaged on the highway and up in the Colorado mountains on any long straightaways. So, it's not going to see high heat that would necessitate a ceramic material. Nor do I want an on / off switch feel that comes with a puck clutch. Most of those are not sprung hub either and I would like to do anything I can to keep the transmission from grenading as long as possible. So, I would like to stick with a sprung hub if feasible.

Here's what appears to be the best option I have on the table. MWR Clutch Kit - Lotus/Toyota 2ZZ 1ZZ-Gorilla ST2 Street Car/Kev
MWR Clutch Kit - Lotus/Toyota 2ZZ 1ZZ-Gorilla ST2 Street Car/Kev

Is anyone running this?
How is the pedal effort?
What is the engagement like?
Has anyone shown that it ACTUALLY holds 300 ft/lbs or torque?
Does anyone have any other suggestions for a very street-able clutch that can handle this level of torque?

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,173 Posts
That pedal will still feel stiff and have aggressive engagement, the clutch that you are looking for does not exist.

·
Registered
2002 2ZZ Turbo MRS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard some good things about OSGIKEN. I have driven their single plate on a 3SGTE MR2. It had a lot of bite and wasn't very friendly on the street especially on hills. I could probably deal with it on a daily basis but I remember it wasn't a pleasurable experience.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,173 Posts
For your torque requirement I would trust OS as their quality is second to none.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts