The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my driving is street. I'm a track n00b - just one HPDE at Lime Rock in my former car - a Z06. That said, I will do 1 or 2 auto-x and hopefully 1 HPDE before I sell the car.

My rears (AO48) look to be getting low in tread, so it's time to take action. I'm selling the car, but not in a rush. That said, I aim to sell it within the next 3 months. It's a weekend car that does not get a lot of miles.

I have toyed with a couple options:

- I have a spare set of AO48 fronts with NO track time and 8000 street miles. I bought these when I thought I had a damaging nail in one of my fronts that turned out to be nothing. They look to have a decent amount of tread left. Have considered putting these on and getting new AO48's for the rear, since they have not been heat cycled out and the front tires on the car now are from an unknown source and could have been tracked a few times (I bought the wheels/tires from HRM). If the new rears have more grip, not a big deal as with my beginner track status I'd much rather have understeer than oversteer.

- Toyo 888R's. Last longer than A048's and seem less temperamental. But are they overkill for the street? Do they not heat up on the street enough like the AO48's?

- Toyo R1R's. Seem like a good option, but the jury is still out. Not much feedback on these yet. My biggest concern with a tire like this is loss of turn-in crispness and feedback, which is a lot of fun on the street. I definitely don't want to lose much "feel", and that is why I'm avoiding the Bridgestone RE-01R. It seems from feedback from users that the sidewall is just not stiff compared with the OE Yoko's.

Also, sizing recommendations would be appreciated. Again, I figure nudging a bit towards the understeer side wouldn't be a bad idea necessarily.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
780 Posts
plenty of topics on this issue. search threads started by me. I finally got the r888s. Street only and I love them.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plenty of topics on this issue. search threads started by me. I finally got the r888s. Street only and I love them.
I am just worried they won't heat up enough on the street to really maximize their grip, whereas something like the R1R's will be at max grip at street temps.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
You don't want the R888s to get too heated. They are better when cold, to be honest. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's been my experience and others'.

And in the wet, there is NO comparison for an R-compound tire.

For the cold and the wet AND autocrossing, you want R888s.

A048s are TERRIBLE in the cold, wet, and are only good in the warm weather when they can get heated. Also must be dry.

You're welcome to take my car for a spin if you like, though I'm not sure how much you'll be able to take from one ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts