The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
For R1R's
205/45-16
245/40-17 or 235/45-17
So....the 245/40-17 fit on the rear no problem? Is there any reason I would want to go with the 235's instead of the 245's for Autocrossing? I'm usually all about getting the most tire you can fit, then balancing the car around that.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Even though I just replaced my tires with 205/50 front and 235/45 rear (ExtremeContact DW), decided to switch them to 205/45 and back to OEM spec 225/45. At the ride height/damping I am set at, I don't want to worry about rubbing (and a rubbing it was, all around!), even if it's "a little bit" for the streets. Decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza RE11's. If I stayed with OEM sizing for the front/rear, the only tire I would have considered would have been the DWS, but I really don't need the A/S designation. Had them on a set of wheels for my Elise and was fairly satisfied with them, but wanted just a little more...

PS - I already have another set of wheels with R888's on it for track duty (OEM size tires).

·
He's on fire!
3,191 Posts
you must have purchases the new re-11a tires? the regular re-11 never had a 225/45/17, at least not in the US AFAIK.

Even though I just replaced my tires with 205/50 front and 235/45 rear (ExtremeContact DW), decided to switch them to 205/45 and back to OEM spec 225/45. At the ride height/damping I am set at, I don't want to worry about rubbing (and a rubbing it was, all around!), even if it's "a little bit" for the streets. Decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza RE11's. If I stayed with OEM sizing for the front/rear, the only tire I would have considered would have been the DWS, but I really don't need the A/S designation. Had them on a set of wheels for my Elise and was fairly satisfied with them, but wanted just a little more...

PS - I already have another set of wheels with R888's on it for track duty (OEM size tires).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Now you had me wondering! Just checked my order...I have a wholesale account with Tire Rack. They actually are the RE-11's, not the 11a. I bought them on "closeout". They don't show 225/45 listed anymore, might be because I took the last pair, who knows. I did receive the 205/45's already, but haven't mounted them yet because I didn't have time late last week to do it. The 225/45 is coming from a different location, so I should get them this week. I'll confirm, as well as let you know how they fit soon!

·
He's on fire!
3,191 Posts
I was mistaken, I don't remember seeing them but I looked on bridgestone's site and sure enough, 225/45/17 is there.

·
Registered
480 Posts
All 4 tires received. They are in-fact the RE-11. I will try to mount them (myself) tomorrow, will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
277 Posts
So....the 245/40-17 fit on the rear no problem? Is there any reason I would want to go with the 235's instead of the 245's for Autocrossing? I'm usually all about getting the most tire you can fit, then balancing the car around that.

Thanks!!
I went with 245's because I have a VF2 kit. You don't need 245's if you are normally aspirated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pat,

Too late now, but supposedly the 235s are the single compound construction... That would make them better than the 245s in my mind...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Pat,

Too late now, but supposedly the 235s are the single compound construction... That would make them better than the 245s in my mind...
I ended up using the 245-40 R1R's on the back. Single compound construction does not make the 235's "better"....they will simply last longer. Better, in my book, is more rubber on the ground. (At least for autocrossing, which is all they are used for in my case.) I've heard about the 235's, but have yet to see firm evidence of this....just talk from what I know.

To the original poster, I would also comment that while R1R's are indeed a fantastic tire (among the grippiest available in our sizes) they do wear fairly quickly, which was something you mentioned you didn't want. I know you already decided how to go, just mentioning it.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts

·
Stealthy Blackmobile
358 Posts
If you go for 205's get 205/45/16's. If you go with the 50mm sidewall the tire will be too tall and your steering will feel floaty and unresponsive. Trust me!
best advice i got from here >:)

i went with RE71R in:

Fronts 205/45R16
Rears 245/40R17

my car has never felt better; makes me wanna drive all da time !

thanks LT! :x

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts