The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have pulled the engine out of my lotus. I have a 2001 V8 TT and i NEED to do timing belts. I have ordered the parts, Do i NEED any tools to do the belts?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Hi all.

I have pulled the engine out of my lotus. I have a 2001 V8 TT and i NEED to do timing belts. I have ordered the parts, Do i NEED any tools to do the belts?
I haven't done it, but I have read about it in the service manual. You need several tools (locating pins, indexing wheel, clavis gauge, tensioner wrench, etc). JAE rents the tools. Definitely get the right tools -- and the manual!

This will help: http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EMaintenance/V8CambeltTension.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have these tools and could loan them to you:

T000T1339F Crankshaft locking pin
T000T1345F Camshaft tolerance pins
T000T1360F Tension tool
T000T1398F Clavis guage

Unless your cam timing is off, the only other thing you would need is a timing disc. PM me if you are interested.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I have these tools and could loan them to you:

T000T1339F Crankshaft locking pin
T000T1345F Camshaft tolerance pins
T000T1360F Tension tool
T000T1398F Clavis guage

Unless your cam timing is off, the only other thing you would need is a timing disc. PM me if you are interested.
Just asking to learn: But don't you need the timing disk for a belt replacement or tension check to make sure the crank and cams are in the correct location when you check and set the tension?

That's what it says in the manual and on the Esprit World files:
Esprit V8 Cambelt Tensioning

It definitely adds a lot of extra work to move through the different positions, but it must make that much of a difference. I would be interested to hear if anyone has checked tension with the clavis in random crank positions to see how much the tension varies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just asking to learn: But don't you need the timing disk for a belt replacement or tension check to make sure the crank and cams are in the correct location when you check and set the tension?
Yes, maybe my last remark was a little ambiguous. You *will* need a timing disc (and a pointer) for adjusting or replacing the cam belts. If the timing is off (cam pulleys are not aligned properly) then you will also need a bunch of other tools as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It definitely adds a lot of extra work to move through the different positions, but it must make that much of a difference. I would be interested to hear if anyone has checked tension with the clavis in random crank positions to see how much the tension varies.
Yes, it is a pain. And yes, it does make a difference. Even 2 degrees difference on the crankshaft can mean a difference of 10Hz or more on the belt tension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts