The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old MR2 that, even though I said I'd never get rid of it, I've decided to get rid of. It runs and drives fine, but is throwing a couple engine error codes (so it won't pass emissions), needs a new steering rack, new motor mounts, new cat, and the second gear synchro is worn pretty bad. It's also been totalled twice.

I was thinking about getting it fixed & making it a project car (camry V6 transplant would be tasty), but, being realistic, I just don't have enough spare time. It's probably not worth more than a few hundred bucks (maybe more if I part it out), so I was thinking about donating it as a tax write-off. KBB says it's worth about $550, NADA says it's worth about $900.

Suggestions? Anyone ever donated a car? How much of a deduction can you take?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you donate it, you can write-off the full market retail value of the vehicle. Considering that it's been totalled twice, I'd say that donating it will probably be easiest and will give you a tax break.

Bob

P.S. Bummer... nice car!

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I certainly hope that the OP was able to already get rid of his car sometime in the

PAST 6 AND 1/2 YEARS!
:thwack:

-poke-
rotfl rotfl

I didn't even read the date, why all of the sudden everyone keeps resurrecting these old threads? rotfl rotfl anyhow if you're tired of your Elise or Exige I'll take them... :D

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
...why all of the sudden everyone keeps resurrecting these old threads? rotfl rotfl
Just conjecture but, I figure old andrew20 here is trying to catch up with the last 8 years of forum activity by reading every single old thread available... He found one that he felt was important enough to make his first post...
"It feels good to donate car to charity as it helps with the charity ca donation programs.
I donated mine to Purple Heart last year without any problems.
:shrug:

...anyhow if you're tired of your Elise or Exige I'll take them... :D
You do realize that Brian was ridding himself of a broken down MR2, right? :p
I've got an old MR2 that, even though I said I'd never get rid of it, I've decided to get rid of.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Just conjecture but, I figure old andrew20 here is trying to catch up with the last 8 years of forum activity by reading every single old thread available... He found one that he felt was important enough to make his first post...

:shrug:

You do realize that Brian was ridding himself of a broken down MR2, right? :p
Can you say K-20? -eek- -eek- :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts