The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put my Elise into storage for a few months. The garage where it will live doesn't have a power outlet for a trickle charger.

I know there is a solar-powered Battery Tender, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the solar panel outside (still working on that).

I was thinking of getting a second car battery to power my trickle-charger to then maintain the car's battery... Maybe taking the second battery home once every couple months to charge it.

Has anyone done this? If so, suggestions on equipment? (DC/DC trickle charger? AC inverter to standard AC trickle charger? Suitable second battery?)

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I have done just this.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
820 Posts
Yup, easy way out is to take the battery home with you. Just be careful to isolate the terminals during transport to avoid surprise spot welding/resistance heating issues.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

If there exists a solution that keeps the battery in the car, I'd prefer it.

When I say "storage," I mean "parked in a garage that's not at my house."

I still want to drive the car, and I know that I'll be much less likely to do so if I have to bring and install a battery any time I want to drive it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
just install a cut off switch. I use my cut off switch every time I put mine in storage (same as you, no power outlet) and the battery is still fine after few month.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
There has to be lights in the garage. You can't tap off those?

I was in the same situation. I rented an extra garage and I tapped off the light fixture.

You can also get a solar tender.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just install a cut off switch. I use my cut off switch every time I put mine in storage (same as you, no power outlet) and the battery is still fine after few month.
That's a good idea. I thought that our ECU did a little "learning" for the first couple drives after being reconnected to power, but if you're doing it without issue, I guess that's not something to worry about. (y)

There has to be lights in the garage. You can't tap off those?

I was in the same situation. I rented an extra garage and I tapped off the light fixture.

You can also get a solar tender.
That was my plan (to tap off the light), but they changed the light switch out for a timer between the time I inspected the garage and rented it. :p

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Get a lithium-ion battery with build in backup. You won’t need a tender. Antigravity is running a Black Friday sale.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
So stick a piece of cardboard behaing the timer switch so it stays on all the time.
That's a good idea. I thought that our ECU did a little "learning" for the first couple drives after being reconnected to power, but if you're doing it without issue, I guess that's not something to worry about. (y)

That was my plan (to tap off the light), but they changed the light switch out for a timer between the time I inspected the garage and rented it. :p
is it a rotary timer? Just stick a piece of cardboard between the knob and wall plate. Done.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
A trickle charger uses very little electricity. Perhaps the garage owner will make exception.

Reactions: mattjk

·
Registered
824 Posts
You're asking to re invent the battery in order to preserve the battery. Doesn't really make a lot of sense. You can of course connect a larger battery, or you could get two batteries and swap them out.

The timer is probably fine. A charger and maintainer will charge in a few hours and keep it topped off even with the timer shutting it off overnight.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Don't ignore the solar option, as mentioned above.

No, the timers usually stay on mere minutes. So, unless there is a lot of traffic in/out of the garage, I don't think that's a solution.

I'd contact owner and make a deal for outlet and a tiny bit of electricity. There may be locked outlet covers to use when you aren't plugged in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had this exact same problem with both my Elise and then evora. (Public garage needed to maintain battery). First I just plugged the battery tender in with a 100 foot extension cord. That lasted a week before someone unplugged it. Then I installed an outlet box on the outlet with a lock so it couldn’t be unplugged. That led to the garage threatening to revoke my parking. Claimed it was a fire hazard having wires. So next idea was a kill switch on the battery. I found a wireless one which was great. Don’t remember the brand name. But it had a remote to activate the kill switch or turn it back on. Great for theft too. Worked fine for the Elise.
the evora was a different story. If you detach the battery within 30 min of turning the engine off, it messes with the ecu. Airbag light comes on. Trip to dealer for sure! Not to mention the battery in the evora is also in the trunk. No big deal. Except the trunk lock is electric!!! You need power to open the trunk. (Or else you’re are pulling a manual release which can break). So no kill switch. I ended up using a solar panel (chained to the guard rail) and hung over the side of the garage (with bungee cords). Apparently that wasn’t a fire risk. Lasted for 3 years until I moved. Never ever had an issue. Winter summer didn’t matter. Left for over 4 weeks once. One other thing to note- don’t put the alarm on (lock the doors manually by hand and key). The alarm is the battery killer. You’re not in the garage to hear the alarm go off anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm curious, how long does the battery last when (say) a Lotus Elise is just turned off?
In the comments it says it's different if the alarm is on or off, and I understand that different condition batteries it will last different times, but what sort of time would be reasonable to expect (eg with alarm on and with the alarm off?

·
Less is Better
2,705 Posts
I'm curious, how long does the battery last when (say) a Lotus Elise is just turned off?
In the comments it says it's different if the alarm is on or off, and I understand that different condition batteries it will last different times, but what sort of time would be reasonable to expect (eg with alarm on and with the alarm off?
This depends as much on the capacity, condition of the battery and conditions as anything else. I have and Optima, I can go months without being on a maintainer, but normally I'll plug the car in if it's going to sit for more than a week. Whether the alarm is armed or not probably doesn't make much difference. It's still pulling current.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts