The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we had our sprinklers checked because we needed them serviced. we scheduled a time and date for nearly 3 weeks later since they were pretty booked. they came by and couldn't do anything saying that we had a lot of problems and it looked like it would be an all day job. i didn't doubt it since we didn't really maintain it that well. the guy told me i would get a call with a rescheduled date.

about a week goes by and no phone call. so i call them and right away they knew who i was and told me my scheduled date for service the follwing week.. i asked them why they didn't call and the woman on the phone said that they were just about to. riiiight, i believed that.

our appt was for Friday morning. they were scheduled to arrive 8-9am. i stayed home from work today and was planning to head out if it ended early. over an hour had passed and nobody. no phone call. i waited a little longer and still nothing. i called them at about 10:30am and a woman answered and apparently she knew about the situation since the driver called in saying they were stuck in traffic. explained to me that they had to load up all the gear and they were now stuck in traffic. she told me she would call and try to get their status. i got off the phone and looked up the traffic and it was fairly light from what i could tell on google maps. but i gave them the benefit of the doubt. 11am rolls around and still nobody showed up nor did anyone call me. so i called and it's the same woman telling me she doesn't know anything. she couldn't get a hold of their driver. i confirmed again with her when my scheduled time was and she said 8-9am. she wasn't very courteous or trying to help me out when obviously this was their fault.

i wait a little longer and now it's 11:30am. i call again and by now i don't even have to tell her who i am. i told her how ridiculous this was and this was horrible business practice and i wanted to speak with the manager or the owner. she informed me they were not there and i couldn't have their number. she said i could leave a message with her and she'll let them know, and she would probably be the one who calls me back. what a nice family owned business. i told her how crazy this was and how they couldn't even give me a call to update me with anything. she didn't apologize or offer to help. she said she did everything she could. and tried to make me feel guilty by saying she's the only one working there and she's getting lots of phone calls and just can't find the time to call me.

this is where i got really upset, and told her to leave the manager/owner or whoever a message saying how upset i was, i didn't appreciate this kind of service, and don't expect to ever to do business with us again. I deal with customers all the time and if something goes wrong, i will do what i can to answer their questions and make it right. but she just said ok like she wasn't losing anything and told me she'll contact the driver to not go. it's nice she will be able to contact the driver about this but not know where he is.

the company needs to brush up on their customer service or get a new receptionist. and fyi, if you're gonna lie, try something other than traffic. i can drive to austin in 3 hours. but they can't make it 15+ miles to irving from lewisville? maybe have the driver call in more often especially when they're running late. i understand anything could have happened, but leaving your customer hanging is just not right.

a week later i get a bill in the mail for their original service call. $149.25 for looking at our sprinkler system and finding out what needs to be done. I have yet to receive a phone call from anyone there. If you're in the Dallas area, please don't use them.

American Lawn Sprinkler Company

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
You should send them a bill for lost wages. Seriously though, if this is your biggest problem then you have it pretty good. Go for a ride, it's a beautiful day.:shift:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I built a business from 2 employees to 160 in 14 states with a product delivered nationally. I never shorted a customer, overnighted equipment if theirs went down, overnighted product. Sooooo, when ever a situation like yours happened with a vendor coming late, not at all, not calling back, etc. I never got upset (on the outset), I wangled me way to the owner, and my opening line was always the same. I'm in the wrong business, that's great that your so busy you don't need to call back a)when your guys don't show up b)you don't return calls c) you don't rectify a problem, etc. Usually the embarrassment factor wins out over the upset factor. But, if not I take their heads off big time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Who's the boss?

I guess you don't have cable or you would already have experienced this. How sad that they are called AMERICAN Lawn Sprinkler. I hope you didn't pay that bill! I wish I had a job where I could be late. You should visit this web site - The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back

When I was remodeling my house, I knew that LA contractors had the habit of being late and flaky. So when they told me when they would be there I made it clear that if they were late, they would be fired, no excuses. It worked. I can't get away with it, why should they? Most of them don't see you as the boss and need to be reminded.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
^Curious. How many contractors did you go through.

Being in the business, Ive learned they NEVER show up the day after you make a progress payment. They usually will show up a 1 and a 1/2 late reaking of booze. If you show up late, your fired...did the new guys try to screw you over b/c the old guys messed something up?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I built a business from 2 employees to 160 in 14 states with a product delivered nationally. I never shorted a customer, overnighted equipment if theirs went down, overnighted product. Sooooo, when ever a situation like yours happened with a vendor coming late, not at all, not calling back, etc. I never got upset (on the outset), I wangled me way to the owner, and my opening line was always the same. I'm in the wrong business, that's great that your so busy you don't need to call back a)when your guys don't show up b)you don't return calls c) you don't rectify a problem, etc. Usually the embarrassment factor wins out over the upset factor. But, if not I take their heads off big time.
Hah, that's a great response. Mind if I use it? :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
^Curious. How many contractors did you go through.

They all responded quite well. I let them choose the time, so why should they be late? I let them revise the time after they heard my expectations. I also let 'em off if they give me a courtesy call for traffic or whatever. Just the minimum of what is expected of me from my boss / bosses.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Contractor for my restaurant went 4 months over his "Guarantee" finish date (okay I'm an idiot for not triple checking him out). I wrote a check for the entire last payment the day he finished and post dated it 4 months. (my construction checking account was different then my operating so he knew the funds weren't going to be there for 4 months).

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Blujae, I hope you don't pay that bill.

Being in the business, Ive learned they NEVER show up the day after you make a progress payment. They usually will show up a 1 and a 1/2 late reaking of booze.
I'm not in the business but I've had the same experiences as well. I'd have had several projects at my house that I didn't want to take on myself so I'll pay to have it done. I'd make an appointment, they wouldn't show, I'd call back and they would say, "Sorry, we got busy/forgot/whatever blah blah". I would then re-schedule and when they did show up it would take several times longer to complete the job than they originally quoted. As mentioned, the pay-as-you-go plan always results in them disappearing for a day or two. Their follow through is horrible, maybe that line of work just attracts those types of people.

Noble

1 - 9 of 9 Posts