The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am need of undertray bolts and washers.
They are 5mm diameter and take an 8mm wrench. 15mm threaded length.
Good used or new OEM.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Ace hardware sells them in stainless steel, both hex head and button head.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am hoping to keep OEM so they all match. I was hoping with people like you that might have traded them out for various reasons or salvaged one, I might find 2 dozen laying around.
I am missing two in my trays and am adding side skirts and other stuff.
Hopefully it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Thanks. I am hoping to keep OEM so they all match. I was hoping with people like you that might have traded them out for various reasons or salvaged one, I might find 2 dozen laying around.
I am missing two in my trays and am adding side skirts and other stuff.
Hopefully it doesn't hurt to ask.
I have a whole bunch (brand new) of the stock hardware. I bought two kits. I even have a bunch of the clips.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I threw out all the old stuff that was on my car. It was mostly a mismatch of coat hangers, drywall screws, oddball hardware store stuff and maybe a few factory bolts/screws. Don't know what was going on with that mess?!

Lowes didn't have any of the metric U nuts in stock, but a ****load of SAE stuff. 1/4" is a little bigger then the 5mm stuff, but it all worked out just fine on my car. I wasn't going to chase down some high dollar bolts that have no reason to be expensive.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, .... I know. But I am a bit of a purist at heart and want to keep it as original as possible while still performing a bit of modification.
So, I am trying to standardize with Lotus drywall screws.
I probably can't afford Lotus coat hangers.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Inwent to fastenal and bought hardware you can't tell from original.
Bags of 100 were cheap.
Stainless, too.
Sam

·
Registered
685 Posts
My local Ace Hardware, Sears and True Value all carry 5mm bolts of the right kind. I've never found Lowe's or Home Depot to be much good with car sizes of anything - they're mainly domestic.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
O.K. I got it.

I now know I can go to Ace, Eagle, Lowe's, Home Depot, Home Base, and many other stores and purchase the correct size. And I appreciate everyone that knows of another brand of hardware store that carries the same size and would appreciate you posting the name of said hardware store in the thread "Name the Brands of Hardware Stores Near You."

But in a shallow attempt to hijack this thread, I am looking for a few good used or new undertray bolts and washers.

I would appreciate if you have changed your car from these to another size, or if, god forbid I hate to feed off of wrecked cars, you might have some in an Elsie sitting in your field that you care to pull them off of, or if you have a spare kit of them that you can part with, please let me know how many ya got and how much $$$$ you want for them.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Shipping them to you might cost more than simply purchasing them from Ace. They are very very inexpensive there. According to my package (when I bought some to replace a missing screw), the screws were 55 cents each.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm failing to understand why it would matter? The Lotus bolts are pretty much just a run of the mill fastener available at most any hardware store. There isn't anything at all that is special about them.

I guess if you want to spend $150 on the "Lotus" bolts vs $15 at Ace for the same exact thing... well... it's your money....

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow.
Thanks for the update.
But to be clear, Lotus does not buy them "just like we do". They buy them from a supplier on the other side of a very large ocean.
But thanks for understanding.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I liked abuse such as this, I'd still be married!
Honestly, I thought it wold be so easy ..... (the bolts, not the marriage)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
It looks like Lotus Garage sells the original bolts.

See "Body / Undertray & Diffuser" on their website.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts