The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a set of wheels for the Elise. Would like to know if these are going to fit.
Front 17x7.5 with offset of +30
Rear 18x8.5 with offset of +25

Will these fit with out rubbing or sticking out past the fenders? Some of you Lotus Guru's help with this,PLEASE.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know the front should work. The stock offset is +31 for the front, but it is the back I am not sure about. The stock offset on the rear is +18 and the wheels I am looking at are +25. I take it that they will come futher out towards the wheel well opening, is this correct? If so will they stick out and rub?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think the answer is technically depending on the tires you put on them. You could put a 315/30R18 on the 18x8.5 rim and I'm pretty sure that it would stick out the sides, but it would be short enough not to rub top.

The general consensus I've seen though actually recommends going to smaller rims. 15front 16rear, not going to larger rims if you're interested in a performance increase. If you're just looking to pimp your ride, I say have at it, but I suspect you'll catch some flack on this site. =)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not going to track my car, but just wanted to put the org rims up and get something else to put on it. I found these and the price is cheap, and just wanted to find out if they would fit. Not looking to have a pimpster, just a nice look to it. Do not want them to stick out pass the finders or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In that case, you can get some thin tires and maintain the same sizes even, but you might have a marginally harder ride with less tire sidewall.

You could get a 205/40R17 up front and a 245/35R18 in rear and maintain roughly the same height as the stock tires.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that case, you can get some thin tires and maintain the same sizes even, but you might have a marginally harder ride with less tire sidewall.

You could get a 205/40R17 up front and a 245/35R18 in rear and maintain roughly the same height as the stock tires.
OK, I understand about the tire height, but what about the offset? I don't know much about offset of wheels, I have read about it, but just can't get the just of it. Like I said, I know the front would fit no problems, but the back with a +25 offset I don't know about. I can't seem to grasp the diffrence between +18 (stock) and +25 on the rims I am looking at. It seems like a lot when compairing the numbers, but I don't know. ( I mean are we talking 1" or 1/2" or what, and is it's offset more to make up for the wider rim?)

I'm lost:wallbang:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Offsets

The rear offset on S2 Toyota Elise & Exige is 38mm.

There was a misprint (31) in early Lotus promotional material.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, still lost!! If it is +38 offset org, than what does +25 on the rims I am looking at mean? I can picher me getting the rims in and putting them on the car and looking like the Z28 I had in the 80's. Tires sticking out about 2in and jacked up in back.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Why not get another set of what came on the car, if you're not worried about track performance? ie weight?

I've got two sets of them in black. They also come in silver, as well as your gold.

I believe a set brand new from Lotus Garage or a dealer could be had for around $1800 and some change.

Patience looking for a used set might set you back a grand or less...figure some extra $$$ to get them painted/coated to the color of your choice.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
A lower (less positive) offset wheel than stock will have the centerline of the wheel further out than stock. 38mm - 25mm = 13mm or just slightly more than 1/2".

So the center of your wheel will be 1/2" further out than stock.

The wheel you propose is also 1" wider overall than the stock wheel. So putting the centerline 1/2" further out keeps the inside flange basically in the same place as stock. That's a reasonably good idea because you don't want the extra width on the inside where it would cause rubbing.

So that means basically that the entire extra inch of wheel width will be sticking further out than a stock LSS wheel would. Will it interfere with the fenders? There are other factors to consider: ride height, tire selection, spring rates, etc.

xtn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts