The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of possibly buying a 05 Lotus Elise, I have to get them to pay off my Scion FR-S as well. So my question to you guys, am I making a mistake? I ask that because, my FR-S is my daily I use to get to work, go out to dinner, dates, whatever. I use it for everything needed to drive. Now an Elise is a dream car of mine but will it be a good daily for me, and will I not regret getting rid of my FR-S for a car that might not be a good choice to drive around.

Work is 7 miles away I live in Hilton Head Island, SC its 14 miles around so not long trips or anything, just really want your guys input, can this be the dream car I always wanted, and will it work for what I need?

HELP!? lol

Thanks guys!

·
He's on fire!
3,408 Posts
no one has ever asked this question before! the elise doesn't make a good single car. people have done it but I wouldn't call it 'advisable' unless you can wfh for weeks at a time (or hitch a ride with a co worker)

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Tough question, depends on the person. An Elise is a wonderful thing, but so awkward in real life so often. Can't do a drive through at the bank. Harder for other drivers to see, so more dangerous. Draws attention a whole lot, that can be fun but a pain sometimes, especialy from the popo. Getting in and out limits your passengers. And so much less storage. Loud and rattles and buzzes. And she will try to get you to buy racing parts. Be careful.

Can you just drive the car a couple days before committing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the lady drives the tC haha but the good thing is living in such a small area, just so hard to get rid of a brand new car... the frs only has 11k miles and is amazing to drive, but the lotus has always been a dream, thanks for some responses guys!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It can totally be a daily driver....to a specific type of person. 99% of people don't fall into that category though. I say keep the FRS. It's more practical...relatively speaking.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
It all comes back to you. Having a second car makes the decision much easier. There's places you don't want to park a Lotus and wet weather driving is more challenging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought an elise about a year ago, I do also have an old accord that i usually drive to and from work. However, there are people on here who use the elise as a daily driver, if you look in the elise photos forum there is somebody on here who has driven their elise as a daily driver for 8 years. Something like that.
If i was in your shoes i would just buy the elise and also buy a bicycle, but i dont know how much you are in to fitness. 7 miles on a bike would take about 20 minutes. When i lived in SC i didnt see too many freeways that you had to used to get from place to place. So if you're in to fitness or want to change your lifestyle, a bicycle is the perfect answer to your solution.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The legendary Daily Driver Thread can answer a lot of your questions:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221/official-one-only-can-lotus-used-daily-driver-thread-60032/

I'd just add one more thing to think about:

The BRZ is a new car, meaning it has a warranty. The Elise is pretty reliable all things considered, but if you're not handy with a wrench or you'd rather not work on the car, the "little things" will add up really fast. The BRZ may have teething issues but the manufacturer is on the hook for them. When you're trading a car with a warranty for a more exotic one without, this is something you really need to factor into your financial math.

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
I would not daily this car. Not unless I didn't give a sh*t what happens to it while using it daily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with what most of you have said. I can see if being a good daily driver, having a reliable toyota motor, also can see if being a pain in the butt at times too. I really do love these cars and I am really jealous of you guys out there that get to look at one in your garage everyday. I do love my fr-s though and it def. makes it hard, even considered the gen coupe, but that is just because its turbo and fast, coming from an 05 evo lancer lol.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I think every Elise owner should have a 2nd car weather its a beater a truck or a nice highway car. I have DDed my Elise but I had a back up car with 4 seats for those times when I needed to take on some passengers or cargo. I drove my Elise back and forth to work 30 miles one way about 3 times per week for about 2 years. I picked up dry cleaning and groceries on the way back from work all the time. DDing the Elise is not out of the question it just take some planning. I like to have a 2nd car as a LSV or Lotus Support Vehicle. I also like to have a 2nd car around so I can drive it in bad weather, or when I am working on the Lotus to make it better.

The FRS is a respectable car but its not a Lotus and its not nearly as fun to drive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Imagine yourself running errands one afternoon...getting in and out of the car, 5 times. And then doing it again a few days later. Some don't mind, but I love my Golf for those moments.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wouldn't have an issue daily driving, except I need to haul things that would never fit in the lotus (including more than one passenger). I would say this depends on your lifestyle.

Personally I could take the loud, the PITA factor of getting in and out, and all the other perceived negatives, however one thing I could not do is leave the car parked anywhere out of my sight. I would be a nervous wreck thinking about the car and what strangers may be doing to it.

Easter day this year, I saw an Evora parked for a long time, so my wife and I sat on a bench across the road and observed. I did not like what I saw. Of course the car brought attention, many came up close an gawked at it, including myself, but some people were outright bold. Some women were "twerking" and rubbing up on it posing for pictures, some girls were sitting on the front of the car posing for pics. I couldn't believe it. Now that's all from people who admire the car. Imaging if somebody who had bad intentions came near it, with their keys for example.

Just food for thought there.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
752 Posts
Sounds like you're a Toyota kinda guy. Go for it. As stated, you kinda need a second vehicle, and you seem to have that covered.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
You sound like a reasonable person. I would have to concur if you really want it then you would become obsessed with it like most of us have become. That would be problematic with the common insults a daily driver has to endure.

I would do as other have advised. Get a beater that runs good and it is refreshing to not care about dings and other issues. Then when circumstances ( weekends) come about you can rock out! It also seems to take the sting out of a very unforgiving car. Your younger so you might not be as sore as a guy like me, but 3 consecutive days and I am seriously feeling the feedback from the Lotus position...

You could do it, hell anyone can do anything they really want, but the first time you come out and something unfortunate has happened to your car you will question your decision making process. Good luck man! peacb

1 - 20 of 34 Posts