The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I have a 06 Exige and had a few led tail lamp bulbs burn out, so I decided to buy a set of 05 Elise non led tails instead of spending the same cost to replace just one lamp.

The lamps are working as they should, but now my gauge cluster lights up when I apply the brakes.(obviously this only happens if I don't have parking or night driving lights on.)
It also engages the side markers, (maybe normal) and my radio light also activates.

Any advice would be great. Thanks,

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I don't know exactly either but my guess is it's an issue with the power/voltage/amps that are going to the lights. The LEDs are very different in that respect which is why you can't just direct swap them in the '05 cars. My gut says the car is sending "LED power" to the lights and they aren't expecting to see a standard bulb. As such the car thinks something is wrong with the lights and as such the dash is lighting up.

Follow Aedo's link and just fix it properly - plus the LEDs look FAR cooler!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know exactly either but my guess is it's an issue with the power/voltage/amps that are going to the lights. The LEDs are very different in that respect which is why you can't just direct swap them in the '05 cars. My gut says the car is sending "LED power" to the lights and they aren't expecting to see a standard bulb. As such the car thinks something is wrong with the lights and as such the dash is lighting up.

Follow Aedo's link and just fix it properly - plus the LEDs look FAR cooler!

I had searched and never stumbled upon that DIY, so over the winter I will take a go at it. I agree that the led's look better, but I'm just a cheapskate when it comes to dumb things that don't add power or assist in handling improvements.

Hell, I maybe the only person to have done this for all I know. Lol

As for sending too much power, isn't that the point of the ballast? It regulates/converts the voltage/current being sent?

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
As for sending too much power, isn't that the point of the ballast? It regulates/converts the voltage/current being sent?
Well I suppose my point is the amps/volts being sent are most likely different between the LEDs and standard bulbs. So I suppose I'd be looking at that and making sure it's not something there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts