The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Funny how the listing says it comes with the optional soft top.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If this car is in Las Vegas and a potential buyer is unable to view the car in person, then and rodent damage will only be noted by an Elise expert.
With unknown miles ... expect all the typical items ... and items that throw codes for the MIL and a SMOG check. Does the ECU have the VIN? What is the software calibration number and the corresponding sw calibration verification code? If in a CARB state, all must match as per the VIN and MY (Model year). Just saying ... .
The Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) should include: ... in this order (IMHO):
1) compression test with a warm engine ... WOT (wide open throttle) on warm engine. New = 203 psi, and Lotus says service life at 145psi ... and within 10% of each. 180's+ is common based upon miles is my understanding.
2) cylinder lead-down tests. This is the only way to determine the condition of the pistons/rings, valves and such.
3) Cam cover removal and cam lob inspection, valve clearances and "lift bolts" checked (expect to replace).
4) If there is any cam wear, is the oil line on the cam cover working and squirting oil on the cam lobs?
5) This then brings up the question, what are the records showing when the oil control valve filters were checked and cleaned? The one under the alternator is a PITA to get to.

Don't ask me how I have come to this ... but I am LIVING this now ... based upon the 'word' of a known LOTUS EXPERT whho said 'all is good' ... but it is NOT. $,$$$.$$ :(

Is the "dealer" going to do this? or allow the car to "go somewhere" to have this done? Where (shop) in Las Vegas for such a PPI ?

... just saying (as I was burned) ...

·
Registered
466 Posts
If this car is in Las Vegas and a potential buyer is unable to view the car in person, then and rodent damage will only be noted by an Elise expert.
With unknown miles ... expect all the typical items ... and items that throw codes for the MIL and a SMOG check. Does the ECU have the VIN? What is the software calibration number and the corresponding sw calibration verification code? If in a CARB state, all must match as per the VIN and MY (Model year). Just saying ... .
1) compression test with a warm engine ... WOT (wide open throttle) on warm engine. New = 203 psi, and Lotus says service life at 145psi ... and within 10% of each. 180's+ is common based upon miles is my understanding.
2) cylinder lead-down tests. This is the only way to determine the condition of the pistons/rings, valves and such.
3) Cam cover removal and cam lob inspection, valve clearances and "lift bolts" checked (expect to replace).
4) If there is any cam wear, is the oil line on the cam cover working and squirting oil on the cam lobs?
5) This then brings up the question, what are the records showing when the oil control valve filters were checked and cleaned? The one under the alternator is a PITA to get to.

Don't ask me how I have come to this ... but I am LIVING this now ... based upon the 'word' of a known LOTUS EXPERT whho said 'all is good' ... but it is NOT. $,$$$.$$ :(

Is the "dealer" going to do this? or allow the car to "go somewhere" to have this done? Where (shop) in Las Vegas for such a PPI ?

Way overkill. Would you do all this buying a Celica with the same engine at 10-50k miles?

ECU dump to see if it’s been over revd, check the cam lobes and call it good.

·
Administrator
1,454 Posts

1 PPI does not include compression test but when I had mine done I paid extra and they did a borescope as well
2 You mean leak down? You'll pay extra
3 I can't remember if it was included but intake cam inspection is very important.
4 That would be extra and remember many shops doing the PPI will be indie shops and might not be the best place to have this determined.
5 Good luck

Reactions: Toretto2

·
Registered
43 Posts
On the 2ZZGE engine, a compression check and leak-down isn't difficult as the spark plugs are "right there" ... and will give an indication as to the engine's power.
If that fails, no need to even remove the cam cover.

Agree on the ECU dump, but only someone with the lotus software tool can access such. Not the typical OBDII scanner (that I am aware of).

Then, Cams and "lift bolts" ... minimum. If CAM wear, that has to be addressed, and is when the filters are checked (while cams are being replaced).

Just saying ... what I'd (now) do.

·
Administrator
1,454 Posts
On the 2ZZGE engine, a compression check and leak-down isn't difficult as the spark plugs are "right there" ... and will give an indication as to the engine's power.
If that fails, no need to even remove the cam cover.

Agree on the ECU dump, but only someone with the lotus software tool can access such. Not the typical OBDII scanner (that I am aware of).

Then, Cams and "lift bolts" ... minimum. If CAM wear, that has to be addressed, and is when the filters are checked (while cams are being replaced).

Just saying ... what I'd (now) do.
Agreed the leakdown isn't that hard just not part of a regular PPI and you will pay extra.
PPI's generally are used to decide whether to purchase or not and usually repairs are addressed after purchase. Every deal is different and if you are deciding right then and there yes have the repairs done. Smart buyers would get oem grind on hardened cam or better grade stock so parts would not come via their regular supply chain. The agreement with PO with my purchase was if I buy he paid for PPI if not I paid for it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Never heard of that site, wow haha it's a BaT knock off! That car is the right color and options but airbag light on is a bit scary. Thanks for the tip I will look into it!
Don't think it's much of an issue. He probably disabled it because of the harnesses. But worth asking. Maybe it's just a fuse he pulled.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the advice, I'll discuss those with the shop. Speaking of which, anyone have any recommendations on a Lotus expert in the Vegas area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Way overkill. Would you do all this buying a Celica with the same engine at 10-50k miles?

ECU dump to see if it’s been over revd, check the cam lobes and call it good.
The car sat for so long the ECU was dead. The dealer had it reset with the vin. Will definitely have the cams checked, thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Don't think it's much of an issue. He probably disabled it because of the harnesses. But worth asking. Maybe it's just a fuse he pulled.
I'll ask about it. Definitely want to return all safety gear to stock and make sure no airbag has deployed, thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
This thread has helped me a lot, as I too saw the car in question on BaT and have the same questions. I am watching it. Not sure where you are located Toretto2. I am across the country from Las Vegas. I will decide to bid depending on where the price goes. Someone recommended a PPI company called Lemon Squad, that they used for an antique restored truck, but I wonder how good they would be on a Lotus? Anyone use them?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
198 Posts
This thread has helped me a lot, as I too saw the car in question on BaT and have the same questions. I am watching it. Not sure where you are located Toretto2. I am across the country from Las Vegas. I will decide to bid depending on where the price goes. Someone recommended a PPI company called Lemon Squad, that they used for an antique restored truck, but I wonder how good they would be on a Lotus? Anyone use them?
Ive heard of them, I would use them for a normal vehicle, but not one like this, if you want a detailed inspection. A detailed inspection is going to require that some pieces come off. And if they come to you or them they may not be able to do that. I also seen that they take the vehicle out and drive it. Thats a no go for me. Im sure its fine, but in the off chance something does happen, i dont want any blame games or bs going through insurance.

Edit- Ill also add that on the dodge viper forum I am a member of, they have a great network of people throughout the USA that will go and inspect the dodge viper for you. So maybe there is something like that here. Alot of people here are knowledgeable and im sure some would have no issues checking and sharpshooting an Elise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah I wouldn't take it to a shop without prior experience, they need to know how to get it on a lift.

Sadly neither owner has responded to my request for an inspection. Seems like a lot of sellers can't be bothered. I don't get it, even when I was buying cars off Craigslist I would get them inspected before closing the deal. I guess so many buyers will go ahead without it, they don't need to bother.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
198 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't take it to a shop without prior experience, they need to know how to get it on a lift.

Sadly neither owner has responded to my request for an inspection. Seems like a lot of sellers can't be bothered. I don't get it, even when I was buying cars off Craigslist I would get them inspected before closing the deal. I guess so many buyers will go ahead without it, they don't need to bother.
Exactly, they know the buyers are there and go for the easy, hassle free buyer. But it bites the buyer in the ass later on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I asked the seller to take pics of suspension at each corner and undercarriage trays and he posted this video. My questions: What is the orange goop at various seams? And, at 1:21 of the video there looks like a crack, not a seam in the undercarriage tray? What do you think? Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
198 Posts
The orange goop is the adhesive that holds the chasis together. It is on every single elise ever made and is perfectly normal. I also dont see a crack at 1:21

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a horizontal line of the goop and it trails up as if a stress crack? Or, is it merely the end of the goop line, which would be odd, if it is a seam. Just stop the vid when it hits 1:21. Sorry, but my attempt at a screen shot failed.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
@z8ee that's not a crack, it's epoxy that got away.

The chassis are not welded together. They are bonded together with epoxy and joined with fasteners at the epoxied joints to prevent peel away of the parts during a crash.
The chassis are stronger and stiffer because they are not affected by welded heat affected zones becoming annealed.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts