The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow Lotus fans, I'd like your input!

On Saturday, ausbird (fellow forum member and my husband) and I drove an Exige S260 RGB (2011, less than 3000 miles on it, beautiful in yellow). Dealer advertises it for $70,000 on their website. We offered $60,000 and were told they had an offer in at $68,000, but they had to wait a month/month and a half for the person that made the offer to close on the deal.

We got a voicemail to call them back, so we did. They said the other guy was picking up the pace on the purchase. At the same time they said they could go as low as $63,100, but they're looking to get rid of it in the next day or so.

We said we'd have to run our numbers and that we'd get back to them by Thursday mostly because Ausbird is planning to go down and look at some Porsches tomorrow night and wouldn't get back by the time the dealer with the Exige closed.

We're pretty happy right now because we decided on Saturday that we would go as high as $63,000, which they've basically matched. So the plan is to call them in 2 days after Ausbird has tried a proper manual Cayman S (and maybe a well equipped and well priced 2012 Cayman R) and possibly make a decision at that point.

What do you think about the stuff the dealer is telling us? I get some sketchy vibes about this other interested party, especially considering their dramatically lower counteroffer, but I also kinda don't want to let this one get away!

On another note, we'll be living this winter (and possibly many more) in Kenosha, WI with the typical Wisconsin harsh, cold, salty, snowy, icy winters. My husband thinks we would be okay just having the Exige and my Dodge Dart, but I'm very very worried about driving that beauty around in the snow. It wouldn't be more than once or twice a week and we'd get proper winter tires, but I still worry, having damaged several of my past cars in winter conditions. I'd also be the one "stuck" (HA) with the Exige if I needed to use it for work (which I would just walk to most of the time).

What's the general consensus about throwing an Exige around in a decently messy winter? I'm not afraid of keeping control of the thing at all, having survived Wisconsin winters in a '91 Miata on summers (okay I totaled that on the last snowfall of the year, shush), a BMW, and a Genesis Coupe. I just worry about damage from the elements (corrosion from salt, potholes, ice chunks, etc).

Thanks for any input! We look forward to potentially joining the community of Lotus owners.

Here's the car:
http://www.napervilleautohaus.com/detail-2011-lotus-exige-2dr_coupe_s260-used-11851381.html

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If they already had a deal with another party, its very strange that they would make another deal with you, even though the other party was moving faster. Very strange.

Either way, its worth whatever you would be willing to pay. $63k is on the top spectrum IMO, but it is rare.

Definitely buy yourself a winter beater for snow commutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they already had a deal with another party, its very strange that they would make another deal with you, even though the other party was moving faster. Very strange.

Either way, its worth whatever you would be willing to pay. $63k is on the top spectrum IMO, but it is rare.

Definitely buy yourself a winter beater for snow commutes.
Thanks for the reassurance!

As for the winter thing, it definitely wouldn't a commuter. I'll be living 2 blocks from work and need to drive to offsite places maybe once a week or so. I'm still a bit nervous about it but my husband is saying it'd be fine.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The dealer is yanking your chains. 63k is on the high end. But hey, it's worth what you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Btw I won't bother driving it in snow. If you crashed a miata, I don't think you will have a easier time with an Exige. I have both cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw I won't bother driving it in snow. If you crashed a miata, I don't think you will have a easier time with an Exige. I have both cars.
To be fair the Miata was on summers and I was young and stupid (this was 8 years ago and I'm a WAY better driver now). But I'm still inclined to agree despite having just done a winter autocross event back in February. :p

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
While it is effectively a new car, it's still going on 4 years old and 63k sounds hi. If it stickered at 73, it would have sold at $69. I can't believe 63 is a realistic selling price. I would think 59 or so. But if you are willing to pay it and he's not shady with the other buyer who is supposedly higher, then go for it

And a great way to break it in is to joim our spirited drive in Saturday. See the Midwest/Chicago forum. You can even caravan to New Glarus with the other oak creek folks.

Good luck

·
Registered
945 Posts
If there's any chance you'll need to get somewhere in the winter, save $10-$15k by buying a less-rare older Exige and spend the money on a winter car to go with it.

A few people have driven these cars in the winter on snow tires, especially in Europe where they're not *quite* as exotic. They'll supposedly make it somewhere (Blizzaks are magic, after all), but here's the problem:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/suspension-225722/

Ignore the thread and check out the picture of that suspension linkage. That's unfortunately the kind of thing salt will do these cars - they're not exactly the best at handling corrosion.

A few members here have driven in the snow, for example when picking up their cars, and washed them thoroughly immediately after. They haven't reported a whole lot of problems, but who knows where that salt is getting, and I'd imagine spending an hour blasting every square inch of the suspension out would get old fast.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I live a little further south than that (Eastern Iowa) and if this is the route you end up going, do NOT EVER EVER EVER rely on your Lotus to be a DD in the winter. I cannot reinforce that enough... whether you hit a patch of black ice or some other driver is an idiot, something WILL happen and it will be very expensive.

Plus you'll never be able to keep it clean. And driving around such a gorgeous car in the gross snow and slush hurts me whenever I see other people doing it :(

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,989 Posts
Do NOT drive the Exige in winter! Have you seen how much salt Milwaukee county uses? They seem bent on turning Lake Michigan into a salt water ocean! This is terrible for your car, especially seeing how rare these are! After seeing how much salt is used, I personally would never buy a Lotus that was daily driven in salt, but I'm picky with sports cars.

Secondly, I have already bent a wheel on the Milwaukee area roads. During winter the roads are much worse so you will likely be bending wheels regularly, and probably be wearing out your suspension prematurely.

Third, your car will be a snowplow, and there is a good chance you will crack the front clam & splitter... Not to mention in slippery conditions if you fall off the road your odds of doing expensive clam damage is quite high!

In short, please don't drive your car in winter in Milwaukee. Get a beater! ...If you can afford a $60k+ car you can afford a beater!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have a 2009 Elise that I bought new and have driven through 5 winters in Toronto. I put on snow tires for the winter season. I drive it every day summer and winter.

The body has starshield protection and pretty much looks like new.

The internals do show some rust here and there. I agree that salt damages some of the internals but I think it should easily last 15 years.

If you are not planning for the car to be a garage queen then winter driving is possible.

What you do need to avoid though is heavy snow. The clearance on the car is only 5 inches. I take the bus to work when there is more than 2 inches of snow. My drive is quite easy though. It is almost entirely highway driving in the city.

I think your husband is right in that it could be an occasional day winter car without a big deal.

Enclosed is a picture I took last weekend of one of the rear wheels. Mileage is at about 108,000 km currently.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Figure out what you can and should offer for the car and stick by those.

There is no need to try to psychoanalyze the dealer or let them try to force you into a decision before you are ready. Stick by your numbers and your timelines. Give the seller the chance to accommodate or walk. Ignore drama and emotion

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Get SaltAway.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I also think the dealer is yanking your chain, just trying to get you to make the deal.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable driving a 60k fiberglass exige in the snow, mostly because of the others around me.

I think you'd be better off picking up a cheap winter beater and switching it out on the insurance policy when the snow hits. The Exige is a car for fun, and it won't be fun in the snow.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
FYI, I bought my 2009 S260 last summer in the mid 50s; this dealer is jerking your chain, if they had some a higher offer why would they take a lower sales price?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
+1 dealer chain jerking. They're playing fake auction to guilt/frenzy you into coughing up more dough. Play their game and give them a taste of their own BS. Put in a rebuttal barely-not low-ball offer [high 50's?] and let them stew on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Put in a rebuttal barely-not low-ball offer [high 50's?] and let them stew on it.
That'll be funny after they've already offered $60k rotfl

It's ok, when the dealer asks why you've lowered your offer, just say you did some digging online and found a couple other people that had recently bought similar vehicles in the upper 50s, so you thought that'd be more fair. Maybe they should have taken get $60k offer ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nah, we haven't put in a proper counteroffer, we told him we would tomorrow. I'm cooling off from it for a number of reasons, least of which is the inflated price as you guys mentioned. I prefer the aesthetics of the 06-09 anyway with a sleeker spoiler; I think I may just wait and keep an eye out for an Elise SC to show up on the market. More practical, less expensive and more convertible-able.

Thanks for all the input about snow. I was only thinking of an occasional trip and not as a winter commuter, but I'll lean towards keeping it safe now if we pick one up.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts