The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed the 'caution' written on the label for the Neova AD07 LTS tire. Yes, these are the Elise specific tires. Yokohama states: ' NEVER store or use below 14deg F (-10degC). As this may damage tire and impede performance.'

I used to live in St.Paul, MN so I understand the temptation to drive your fun car on a clear but cold Jan. day - especially when the streets are snow free and dry. It seems these tires may not take well to such use. I believe Lotus will have a snow tire/wheel set-up available soon. So those of you in the snow-belt BeAware!

How about the A048s in the same conditions? Fuggetaboutit. :eek:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Performance tires and cold just don't go together.

Lots of wrecks coming our way once the temps drop below 50 degrees.......

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am not a chemist and do not know much about aging of different rubber mixtures.

But I know that in the cold hardening reactions of most polymers are much slower.
Therefore I cannot imagine that keeping your softies during wintertime in an unheated shed or a garage will spoil them for the next summer season.

Somebody else knowing more about this?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Evl said:
You mean when I get my LSS elise in Dec, I'm going to have to take the wheels off the thing and stack them in my living room? :(
Well wouldn't you just want to, anyway ? :p Maybe bring the whole car in, it's not that big, it's cool to look at and it'd make a nice conversation piece....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The Elise tires have a designation on the "LTS" it stands for Lotus, they are specific tires for the car. Both standard and LSS tires have this designation.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Just checked my thermometer. The low reading on it for the year was 42.9 The high was 98.5

Just for the heck of it I put an outside sensor in my attic too. The high temperature was 126.6. Guess the tires might melt if I store them there! My garage is almost 100 degress too, since the sun hits against the metal garage doors during the afternoon. Cant keep the doors open- frogs, lizards and snakes come in. At least Bobo the tiger and man-eating alligators havent found there way in.

I wonder if being stored in excess heat is as bad for the car
as being kept out in the cold.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I believe the tires get much hotter than that under normal operating conditions, so I cant imagine them being damaged by too much heat in your garage. The tires are rated for high-T!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Basically store your summer tires in dry and fairly cool areas. Keep away from elctrical motors. The temperature denotes air that can hold less moisture.

Wet is a tire's longevity enemy. If you leave them in cold conditions they may take a temporary flatspot.

Due to the belt packing used today nylon does not have the memory properties of rayon. (tires of the 70's) Your modern tires will return to round shortly.

Alex

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I believe the tires get much hotter than that under normal operating conditions, so I cant imagine them being damaged by too much heat in your garage. The tires are rated for high-T!

But what causes dry-rotting of tires? I had an spare set of tires and rims that I gave to a friend when I totalled a car I had.
They werent used for about a year or so and may have been a few years old, but he said that he found out they were dry rotted when he went to get them balanced. Would heat cause them to wear out, or does this just occur naturally with time?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Evl said:
So we can't even store them below -10C??? You mean when I get my LSS elise in Dec, I'm going to have to take the wheels off the thing and stack them in my living room? :(

Flank the fronts with the rears, put a bit of glass over them and you have a coffie table....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I use Kumho V700s on one of my cars year round (Iowa).
There is NO grip when the tire temp is 80* or less and ambient is 45* or less.

OZone and ultra violet light are the enemies of any tire.
Storing the tires cold is no problem. using the soft compounds cold in cold conditions causes irreversible damage at a molecular level due to the atypical way the tire is being heat cycled.
m.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
gotapex said:
Quite correct, for those of us without wives, of course.

This is exactly why wives and GF's don't let us pick out furniture.

I like that table, maybe they have a bigger version I could use for my office desk? and you're right my wife would never let that thing into our house, the dog is lucky enough to be allowed in the house once in a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts