The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the track wheels on the car. While I was moving the wheels around, I figured I'd grab my bathroom scale and see what the difference was. Note that this scale is only accurate to .2 lbs (digital).

I'm using my stock wheels (sport pack) with A048s for the street and Volk CE28n (15/16 R888s with 225/45s in front and 245/55s in rear) for the track.

The Volks with the R888s on them are - .6 lbs in the rear and - 1.2 lbs in the front compared to the 16/17 stock wheels with A048s.

While the wheels are quite a bit lighter than stock, the tires (while smaller diameter, they are wider) appear to be heavier.

Overall you end up with significantly better grip and almost 4 lbs less of unsprung wieght.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Do you have a comparo between R888's and RA1's? Your RA1's were not shaved correct?

Oh btw..still have that boat anchor stock exhaust?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn't weigh the R888s vs. the RA1s. I never shave my tires as I don't run timed events and don't see the value in it.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Toyo's are relatively heavy....in stock 16"/17" sizes they weigh a good 2 pounds per tire more than the Yoko LTS tires.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
That's not what the specs say. They appear to be the same on the specs. Have you weighed them Jack?

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
That's not what the specs say. They appear to be the same on the specs. Have you weighed them Jack?

I've weighed the two (LTS 048's vs Toyos) on the same wheels ... the combo with toyos weigh more....maybe the air was heavier in the Toyos. ;)

But what do I know. :D :shift:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Just put the track wheels on the car. While I was moving the wheels around, I figured I'd grab my bathroom scale and see what the difference was. Note that this scale is only accurate to .2 lbs (digital).

I'm using my stock wheels (sport pack) with A048s for the street and Volk CE28n (15/16 R888s with 225/45s in front and 245/55s in rear) for the track.

The Volks with the R888s on them are - .6 lbs in the rear and - 1.2 lbs in the front compared to the 16/17 stock wheels with A048s.

While the wheels are quite a bit lighter than stock, the tires (while smaller diameter, they are wider) appear to be heavier.

Overall you end up with significantly better grip and almost 4 lbs less of unsprung wieght.
I know you say you don't do 'timed events' :rolleyes: but have you seen laptimes drop with this combo?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right, I don't do timed events.

That said, I'd say that it takes less time to get around a track with the smaller, lighter, wider wheels/tires than with the bigger, heavier, narrower wheels/tires.

The grip in the corners is the noticeable difference. Exit speeds increase significantly enough to change shift points. Since I switched from a 'How late can I brake?' to a 'How fast can I get back on full throttle?' mindset, I can't really comment on braking as much. For a the last year or so I've consistently stayed away from the absolute limit during braking so both tire/wheel setups are giving me more braking ability than I use. I do feel like my corner entrance speeds have picked up.

During a discussion with some folks who work at Lotus, it was mentioned that the engineers wanted the 15/16 wheel combo, but the marketing folks wanted 16/17. This appears to be one instance where the engineers let the marketing folks 'have something'. It's pretty cool that we can get back to the engineer's wishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts