The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been seeing this fairly often in ads or just in talking about a car.

"Never been in the rain".

I'm just curious... what is the problem with having the car in the rain? I left mine parked outside all summer and drove it in the rain. Other than the wiper not working that great (even with a new one) I haven't seen anything fall apart... yet?

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,126 Posts
There are places where the water can sit and cause damage, such as the blower fan relay, which can corrode resulting in malfunction.

Various components that are made of iron in the car that are prone to rust as well.

In the owner's manual there's also a note warning of paint damage due to paint.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
That doesn't mean the car can't be driven in the rain, especially if you have non-slick tires. I've autocrossed mine in pouring rain... great fun. I agree that a person should try to garage the car as much as possible. I'd never park mine in an open lot or on the street for long periods.

I think the "never been in the rain" thing got started by people who are trying to promote their cars for sale as ultra-pampered garage queens. There are a few of those out there, but folks disagree about what that adds to value.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There are places where the water can sit and cause damage, such as the blower fan relay, which can corrode resulting in malfunction.

Various components that are made of iron in the car that are prone to rust as well.

In the owner's manual there's also a note warning of paint damage due to rain.
Fixed

That doesn't mean the car can't be driven in the rain, especially if you have non-slick tires. I've autocrossed mine in pouring rain... great fun. I agree that a person should try to garage the car as much as possible. I'd never park mine in an open lot or on the street for long periods.

I think the "never been in the rain" thing got started by people who are trying to promote their cars for sale as ultra-pampered garage queens. There are a few of those out there, but folks disagree about what that adds to value.
I don't think it really adds anything to the value, just really tells potential buyers how well you took care of it.
While we are on the topic, is there any problem with spraying water (with a hose attachment) right at the engine bay?

·
Such Administrating
6,852 Posts
I don't think it really adds anything to the value, just really tells potential buyers how well you took care of it.
While we are on the topic, is there any problem with spraying water (with a hose attachment) right at the engine bay?
I've driven in the rain a few times with no problems, and it has sat in the rain a few times. So what, its a car.

I always wondered about spraying water around then engine, but you have to wash that area when washing the car. I was worried the first time I did it, but I've washed it quite a few times now and haven't even thought about it. Its been fine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
This is a very old carryover from days past. You go to buy that pristine 63 Corvette. The ad says that it's never been driven in the rain. Besides the fact that 63 Corvette frames and other steel parts rusted to dust if driven year round, the connotation of never driven in rain tells the buyer that the car was ultra babied. You can be sure that there's no rust and that the car was well taken care of.

Now, in reality, that's not always the case. I've had special interest, summer-only cars that I've stored in my garage when the weather wasn't perfect (my last car had no top, no wipers and no heater), but on one of those warm January thaws, I would go out and see condensation on every metal part on the car. So unless the car was kept in a dehumidified garage, I wouldn't put a ton of extra value on the car for having never been driven in the rain. Unless you're in a place like Arizona, where the humidity is always low anyways.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I've seen some pretty neat videos of our cars being tossed around in the snow, in some cases covered in it... I don't think its nearly as much of an issue as some make it out to be (the car getting wet, I mean). And I would echo what Jack says RE: condensation... I used to do destructive testing in the auto industry and one of the most brutal tests was soaking the parts in a hot, humid room - not unlike a garage might get in Florida, lets say.

In the end I think its mostly a marketing ploy when you go to sell the car. YMMV

-Matt

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Well....almost 8 years now, and mine's only been (caught) in the rain once. I don't drive it at night either...just a personal choice, but they ARE built in the UK....rains every 10 minutes there !

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
As far as the engine bay is concerned, the small amount of water that seeps in from normal washing means nothing. I mop it up with an old towel. I see no need to ever blast the engine with high pressure water.

If your car's engine bay is neglected and dirty it may take you an hour or so with old towels and some Formula 409 to shiny it up. Then, every time you wash the car spend maybe 5 minutes with a damp old cloth reaching into different areas that collect dust and grime. That alone keeps the bay looking pristine.

·
Such Administrating
6,852 Posts
Can't wait til it snows here. I have to take it out just once and have a little fun in an open parking lot. Other than that one time, I'll use my 91 bmw for snow drifting.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Rain isn't so much a problem as much as ...

I left mine parked outside all summer
...that. Storing a car outside adds an enormous amount of weather damage that is avoidable with inside storage. Here are a few effects:

- UV damage to paint, rubber and interior surfaces.
- Water driven into unusual or undesirable places by wind.
- Insect or other pest infiltration.
- Acid damage to paint from carbonic acid (which rain contains naturally) and the interaction between water and other substances in the environment that land on the paint.
- Damage from blowing debris.
- Extreme changes in temperature and humidity that leads to numerous cycles that deposit / evaporate condensation inside the vehicle.

... and the list goes on. Where this really stinks is if you buy a new car a year or two after the model year and the dealer has been storing the car outside on the lot. I ran into that with Lotus at a dealer north of Seattle in a city that starts with B and declined to buy a car off the lot there (or any other car for other reasons).

Glen

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Actually, it is the blower fan resistor pack, where the terminals corrode.
Michael
Which is why you need to have the four holes drilled in the chassis as per the factory directive.

I lucked out on both cases: Car was never in the rain (until the first night I had it!), and the holes had been drilled by a dealer during an oil change.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
When the Elise started coming into the US in late 2004 for MY 2005, most likely sat outside at the port, and I know that many, if not most spent a bit of time sitting outside at their dealerships.

After that initial rush and dealers had inventory piling up, I can recall seeing over 20 Elises sitting outside Criswell, most for many weeks.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Which is why you need to have the four holes drilled in the chassis as per the factory directive.

I lucked out on both cases: Car was never in the rain (until the first night I had it!), and the holes had been drilled by a dealer during an oil change.
Even with the drain hole, Lotus relocated the resistor pack on later models.
Michael

·
Registered
159 Posts
The first day I bought my car i was driving home in rain/snow then the heater blower resistor fried on me. I was left freezing for the remaining 3 hr drive home. Other then the heater blower issue, I don't think rain is a problem. Just make sure the coil packs are sealed good, sometimes water gets past them into the tubes.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts