The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not in a Lotus, but in an MR2 Spyder so fairly close to apples to apples.

New record on Kortik's 1.8L NA MR2 Spyder this morning - hit 227 WHP (229 uncorrected) on Flex fuel (E80 but we are just saying E85). Video and pics below.

Build is:

DDPR custom short runner intake manifold
DDPR custom header
DDPR custom 3" exhaust
RMR CNC TB - 82mm

DDPR built motor including:
DDPR ported head
Piper Stage 3 cams
Mahle 12.3:1 pistons
Crower rods
Ferrea valvetrain
ACL bearings
ARP head studs
TODA oil pump gear
Hydra EMS 2.7 with full flex fuel support
Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors
OS Giken super single clutch and ultralight flywheel
C60 trans
DDPR custom short ram intake tube - 3.25"
Stock Crank and block
MWR upgraded rockers
MWR fuel rail

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A fair bit - if you start bone stock you are looking at close to $20K for all parts labor and tuning.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! Weren't the injectors and standalone unnecessary though?
Nope - they were entirely necessary. The stock ecu in an MR2 or Celica is not re-flashable. You have to install a standalone to do any tuning at all. The 440cc injectors we had in it before were at 88% duty cycle at 9K rpm on pump gas - we had to upgrade to switch to E85 so we went to the ID1000s. They idle as well as stock and vaporize even better.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Gotcha, yeah they are sweet injectors. I'm eventually going a similar route but haven't gotten past the brainstorm stage (thanks, home ownership...). Curious, too, why E85. With its lower burn rate, I'd expect the timing to be higher but overall power to be down since you aren't typically knock limited at high rpm

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
wow, 10k redline. Sounds awesome.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,306 Posts
Now its time to supercharge that bad boy!

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is very impressive! Have you tried more compression with e85? I am assuming this is a street car with flex option so it can run normal gas.

That torque curve is so flat and consistent, Awesome. Must be very tractable and drivable.

I have a cosworth built 14:1 2zz short block sitting in storage and am wondering what to do with it. Thought about an all out NA. But now am thinking about milling off some of the dome to drop CR. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotcha, yeah they are sweet injectors. I'm eventually going a similar route but haven't gotten past the brainstorm stage (thanks, home ownership...). Curious, too, why E85. With its lower burn rate, I'd expect the timing to be higher but overall power to be down since you aren't typically knock limited at high rpm
Cheap, readily available, and the ecu does all the work scaling from 0% to 90% ethanol - user doesn't need to switch maps or anything.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is very impressive! Have you tried more compression with e85? I am assuming this is a street car with flex option so it can run normal gas.

That torque curve is so flat and consistent, Awesome. Must be very tractable and drivable.

I have a cosworth built 14:1 2zz short block sitting in storage and am wondering what to do with it. Thought about an all out NA. But now am thinking about milling off some of the dome to drop CR. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo - street / track car. The pump gas tune is set to 92 octane. And yeah - it is very easy to drive, and the extra revs really stretch those lower gears nicely.

Believe it or not this is the first NA E85 2ZZ we have done. We did a 14:1 C16 car many years back, but most people have wanted regular pump gas until recently. The ability to use full flex fuel capabilities makes it an easy decision for a street car though.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,079 Posts
My 2007 Exige S made 226rwhp before I installed the Blade 300.

San
How is that possible? Was the pulley smaller? The 2007 Exige S is only rated at 220 crank.

Was there a major affect on power after Blade?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
How is that possible? Was the pulley smaller? The 2007 Exige S is only rated at 220 crank.

Was there a major affect on power after Blade?
Everything appeared to be stock, but maybe there was a flash when I bought it (third owner).

Made 281rwhp after the Blade 300 install on the same dyno, same temperatures on the next day.

San

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I think my S220 was rated at 203whp.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,079 Posts
Those are more realistic figures. I guess the s240s were making about 220rwhp then...

It's strange that Lotus didn't just give all the Exiges 260hp from the jump because all the
models share the same fundamental engine/powertrain.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Those are more realistic figures. I guess the s240s were making about 220rwhp then...

It's strange that Lotus didn't just give all the Exiges 260hp from the jump because all the
models share the same fundamental engine/powertrain.
Since the 240 didn't use any groundbreaking tech, it must've been planned so they could trickle out new models a few times over the years to keep attention on the car from going stale

1 - 20 of 23 Posts