The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1401096883459354/

Please sign up ! Just at the very least so we know how many of us there are ! no spam no ulterior commercial motives. just enthusiasm for a new ( to me) car I am MAD about ; and a desire to meet the other owners directly instead of through Chris Carter in Mass who has been doing all the work on my car....

thanks !

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Welcome to the fold. The 2-11 is a blast on all counts. I'm currently running mine in NASA in Sport Touring 2 class. Most races have my little 2-11 mixed in with the Teutonic horde, Vettes, Mustangs and all sorts of ground pounders. It's pretty nerat when after a race they come up only to find out that a car with 1/3 the horsepower and at least half the cost left them in the dust.
Currently holding first place in class. Tried to get the Lotus challenge down here in Texas but when push came to shove all the "talkers" chickened out on signing the dotted line and actually committing. So NASA it is. SCCA wanted to redo the whole car so they were passed over.
The 2-11 is an awesome little car but if you are seriously considering track use a bit of modification is going to be required.
To start the fuel tank and oil pan have to go. Replace with a true race tank/fuel cell and a baffled oil pan. Next is the gear box and shift linkage. If you can't or don't want to change the gear box to a sequential then at least address the sloppy linkage. There are a couple of relatuively in-expensive fixes that will make a difference.
For tires you have only two choices if you want to maintain the spec tire dimensions. Yokohama AD05 for slicks or Hankook something or other for DOT race tieres, (near slicks). There are other brands but their dimensions are usualy out of spec by a large bit.
Change out your exhaust system. The stock one is heavy and too damned quiet. I was constantly hitting the rev limiter because I could not hear the engine. It also winds up so damned fast that it takes a little bit of getting used to, especially if you've never tracked a S.C. car before.
THat's enough for now. Good luck and enjoy the ride. I'm sure you'll be grinning good and hard after every outting.
cheers,

Al B.
Houston

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
For those of you who don't know him, google Alan.

Alan - your backyard track is the thing of car guy legends! I doff my cap to you sir.

The only downside I can see to the track is that the weather is going to change on you soon!

Not a 2-Eleven owner (Elise), but welcome to the fray!

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the fold. The 2-11 is a blast on all counts. I'm currently running mine in NASA in Sport Touring 2 class. Most races have my little 2-11 mixed in with the Teutonic horde, Vettes, Mustangs and all sorts of ground pounders. It's pretty nerat when after a race they come up only to find out that a car with 1/3 the horsepower and at least half the cost left them in the dust.
Currently holding first place in class. Tried to get the Lotus challenge down here in Texas but when push came to shove all the "talkers" chickened out on signing the dotted line and actually committing. So NASA it is. SCCA wanted to redo the whole car so they were passed over.
The 2-11 is an awesome little car but if you are seriously considering track use a bit of modification is going to be required.
To start the fuel tank and oil pan have to go. Replace with a true race tank/fuel cell and a baffled oil pan. Next is the gear box and shift linkage. If you can't or don't want to change the gear box to a sequential then at least address the sloppy linkage. There are a couple of relatuively in-expensive fixes that will make a difference.
For tires you have only two choices if you want to maintain the spec tire dimensions. Yokohama AD05 for slicks or Hankook something or other for DOT race tieres, (near slicks). There are other brands but their dimensions are usualy out of spec by a large bit.
Change out your exhaust system. The stock one is heavy and too damned quiet. I was constantly hitting the rev limiter because I could not hear the engine. It also winds up so damned fast that it takes a little bit of getting used to, especially if you've never tracked a S.C. car before.
THat's enough for now. Good luck and enjoy the ride. I'm sure you'll be grinning good and hard after every outting.
cheers,

Al B.
Houston
Al,

Allan has already had Chris (Exiged) do all those mods and more. :D

One thing on the sticky Hankooks, they don't make the correct size front tires for the stock 16" rim.... so it's Hoosiers (A6 or R6) or Yoko slicks FTW.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Jack,

Saw that. As for the Hankooks, the difference in size on the fronts is very little. Much less than the Hoosiers, unless they've changed since I last bought a set.
Been meaning to ask, I've seen the talk about the Monoballs, do they make enough of a difference to justify using them instead of the oem's?

I tried the S-111 sub-stiffy and after one weekend took it back off. After that I'm gun shy of optimistic performance quotes friom the vendor.

Al

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Jack,

Saw that. As for the Hankooks, the difference in size on the fronts is very little. Much less than the Hoosiers, unless they've changed since I last bought a set.
Been meaning to ask, I've seen the talk about the Monoballs, do they make enough of a difference to justify using them instead of the oem's?

I tried the S-111 sub-stiffy and after one weekend took it back off. After that I'm gun shy of optimistic performance quotes friom the vendor.

Al
Monoballs make a huge difference. I have them in my exige and installed them in Alan's car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Jack,

Al
AL,

Sub-stiffy never got me stiff. :)

Monoballs will make a difference that you will feel -- highly recommended for a track/race car.

As for the Hankooks, the fronts are HUGE :) I think you've got it reversed, if you are comparing running Hankooks or Hoosiers in 16" vs the 16" Yoko slick. The OD of the 16" 205/45 Hoosier is very close to the 190/580 Yoko slick (both are at ~ 22.8" OD). Whereas, the only front available in a 16" Kook is a 205/50 and it has an OD of 24". I rest my case. :D

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
My Monoballs arrived today from MonkeyWrench Racing - so I was happy to read that they're worth the install!!

Also just received the RaceMounts from Sector 111….

I had just watched the Wilzig 2 11 video --- so good to hear you're in love with it - as I have become smitten with mine as well!

Jack has been a wealth of knowledge and I can't thank him enough!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My Monoballs arrived today from MonkeyWrench Racing - so I was happy to read that they're worth the install!!

Also just received the RaceMounts from Sector 111….

I had just watched the Wilzig 2 11 video --- so good to hear you're in love with it - as I have become smitten with mine as well!

Jack has been a wealth of knowledge and I can't thank him enough!
Have fun installing the monoballs. That is a big PITA!! Worth it but not a fun job!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Frank has already wrecked the place. What did that take? 2 days? lol

It's funny because he blocks his posts from Chris (exiged), me, Andy, etc so that he can have one-sided conversations--- with I guess, just Alan. Just another venue for Frank to run his mouth with conjecture and personally biased BS.

He was rambling on about stiffening the subframe. As if it matters on his car that never sees sustained lateral Gs and on a car that has no objective data to back up the claims (data logging in a controlled environment). Then he goes on about temps, etc, etc, yet the video he posts of his car in the canyons, while going very fast on public streets, must not be under load for even 5% of the time. Pretty hard to have any meaningful input on temperature management to a group dedicated to track use (non- street legal 211s) where they will see more than 50% of their existance at WOT. Apples and oranges but he's the self-proclaimed expert. He made a mean street rod, but a track car? None of the systems have been proven, tested, data-logged in that environment... I digress.

High speed canyon coaster that always stays "in the lines" is telling track junkies how to build their cars without a hint of actual testing...Too funny.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Jack,

Al
I liked the kooks, but one thing of note is the weight. They are considerably heavier tires than hoosiers, and goodyears (back when goodyear made a tire for us)... The grip on the kooks isn't bad for a DOT tire though. Price is right too...

The other reason to look at hoosier over kooks is the contigency. If you're competitive in class, you can win a couple hoosiers in a weekend. On an 8 tire weekend, getting two back for doing exactly what you're supposed to do, is nice. Kook doesn't offer that. Hoosier and Goodyear do, FWIW...

-Phil

-Edit- PS- The BFG RS-1s are a very grippy tire that seem to last longer than the A6/R6. Sizing is challenging and again, no contingency... But a tire to keep an eye on...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Can't comment on the 211s unfortunately, but welcome to the board. Your beautiful "compound" should I say is the stuff of dreams for all of us!

Enjoy the 211!

·
211 & Zenos E10S Driver
2017 Lotus V6 Cup R, 2019 Zenos e10R, 1969 Caldwell D9 FF1
20 Posts
I'm the new owner of an orange 211 purchased from Hayes Harris at Wire Wheel in Florida. I'm Houston based and using it for Drivers Edge track days in the Houston. The car is phenomenal! I've been a long time BMW Z4 and new Porsche Boxster S driver and the 211 is just in a whole different class. It more like driving my vintage Formula Ford, but much quicker due to the power and much better handling due to the suspension and aero effects. I love this car! I got it for DE events as I'm too big to get in an Exige and I wanted something with 2 seats that was more purpose built -- I'm not disappointed! Two questions for you guys, however: 1) tires for wet conditions? 2) good service options in the Houston area.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
JCarr,
In the Wet, Toyo Proxes R1R are hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1401096883459354/

Please sign up ! Just at the very least so we know how many of us there are ! no spam no ulterior commercial motives. just enthusiasm for a new ( to me) car I am MAD about ; and a desire to meet the other owners directly instead of through Chris Carter in Mass who has been doing all the work on my car....

thanks !
You could add me to your registry --- I own 2 Eleven #194 --- but I won't sign up for FaceBook. Sorry.

Mine is the Lauch Edition -- 2008

So how many of us is there??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.