The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.... New to the Lotus fraternity. A long story but I actually bought an '08 2 Eleven as a back up car to my '65 Shelby GT 350 R Code B production vintage clone.

I love the Lotus! Took it to Thunderhill this last weekend and it's an amazing little car! Way different than my Mustang I can tell ya!! The Mustang is 590hp and weighs 3015 #'s -- runs Hoosier R6's and is pure track car.

I've ordered Hoosiers for the Lotus. Once you've run them -- those Yokohama's just don't cut it.

Looking forward to spending some time here and learning about the car and learning from you all.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post pics or didn't happen :p

Grats! :D

HAHAHAHAHA Being the 'newb' here I had to figure out how this forum took pics.

I'm a very long time member of Lateral-G.Net.... and usually only post there... but I like the Lotus so much I need to learn more about this community!

Yes that's my "rig".... It's a three car stacker with a Renegade toterhome. I live in the Pacific NorthWET... and do all my track days in California so that makes it real handy for the two day drive down and the track weekends - and then two more days to get home and that's if I decide to come home. HAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a better oil pan please.. Do your research if you don't

Oil pan and race ready oil pump has been shipped by MonkeyWrench Racing already... It will be on and ready before Laguna Seca. The NorCal Shelby Club has the track for a 105db day on the Friday after Thanksgiving... I'll be there, hopefully with the superior tires and the bigger baffled pan!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Awesome, what year is your car. Can you post some more detailed pics

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Welcome .... you'll love the 2-Eleven.

Enjoy it to the max! :shift:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome .... you'll love the 2-Eleven.

Enjoy it to the max! :shift:

You can bet on that Jack!!

I just need to figure out what I need to make it stick a bit better... and what's needed to make the engine be reliable etc and then it's game on. My Mustang is fully sorted but is such a different sort of car... the Lotus is an all new challenge. But what a neat car!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Looks great Greg................Maybe when I retire a second time......

I hate you!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my Mustang.... just as an "introduction" to who I am and what my cars are like.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been retired for 22 years... and have been doing "cars" as a hobby for 40+

This is my "shed" (as my Mother in Law calls it)... on my property. The '69 Camaro on the lift is my brother in laws. We spent 16 months doing a complete rebuild... all new wiring - sub frame - motor - trans - new rear suspension (coil overs and a Ford 9")...

This picture is horrible -- because those boxes don't belong in the shed - they were furniture I bought for the "man cave" upstairs when I was at SEMA.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a few tools..... one day I'd like to have some skill using them.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
You can bet on that Jack!!

I just need to figure out what I need to make it stick a bit better... and what's needed to make the engine be reliable etc and then it's game on. My Mustang is fully sorted but is such a different sort of car... the Lotus is an all new challenge. But what a neat car!
Greg,

IMHO, the minimal list, not necessarily in order of importance or priority:
1) Baffled oil pan
2) oil catch can(s)
3) headers and proper muffler (get rid of that modified Exige S boat anchor muffler :)
4) better shift cables (after market)
5) mono-balls/spherical bushings
6) improved aero
7) proper alignment and height settings
8) Yokohama slicks ... (Hoosiers are Ok, but not as good, imo)
9) fire suppression system
10) shocks/spring setup can be improved, especially if you plan on running slicks over the standard Yoko O48's
11) Laminova oil cooler/improved radiator
12) stronger 3rd and 4th gears for tranny
13) stronger oil pump gear
14) improved ECU tuning/revised knock sensor calibration
15) better race seat
16) improved air flow to the I/C .......

I could go on but those items will suffice for the short term. :)

My ride ...... :shift:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jack --- I watched several of your videos last night. You're driving is superb! And it appears you're cars are very well set up! Kudos to you!

I just ordered the mono ball bushings. So far I have the Moroso pan and the upgraded oil pump coming. I'll also install the mono balls.

I have an aftermarket exhaust --- so I'll have to get in there and see what it is.

I'm not going to "RACE" the car - I just do track days - but I like my stuff done correctly and I drive my stuff hard. So all of these recommendations are welcome! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for all the posts on my part....

Do you think the Ohlins that are on the car need to be upgraded??? Or was your upgrade suggestion over the "standard" dampers that come on the car??

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Greg,

You are on the right track, no pun intended. ;)

Almost forgot .... very important mod is improved motor mounts .... right up there with a baffled oil pan. The rubber engine mounts allow for excessive engine movement which will result in all sorts of issues, not the least of which may be impaired shifting under heavy braking. Also, you will need to fashion some sort of front fender liner/protection, as well as a front oil cooler shield .... both are very vulnerable to damage from debris thrown up by the sticky tires.

The 2-Eleven is a very capable track car and will embarrass many "exotic", higher HP, cars.

Happy tracking and congrats again on the new acquisition!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts