1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are any number of things that can happen. I would put my money on a "collector" having bought it some time ago and never drove it. Now, s/he wants the storage space (or money) for something else. I can't imagine the dealer that would have paid for the car eight years ago and just held it the whole time.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The car is at Gentry Lotus, the dealer in Toronto. The car is as new, and it is gorgeous, I have seen it numerous times. If you're interested, speak with Carl Plessl at the dealership, he's the most down to earth, easiest guy to talk to.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is at Gentry Lotus, the dealer in Toronto. The car is as new, and it is gorgeous, I have seen it numerous times. If you're interested, speak with Carl Plessl at the dealership, he's the most down to earth, easiest guy to talk to.

Has it always been there? Or was it returned by (like another poster suggested) a "collector" who never titled it or drove it? It has less than 30 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not that I'm interested in buying it, but does it really matter if it sat in a collector's showroom or in the dealer's showroom? I'd honestly expect a collector to take better care of it than the dealer. The dealer might shine it up occasionally, but I doubt they're changing the oil every 3 months and so forth.

The car has 30 miles on it... It's essentially a new car.

Cade

·
Registered
347 Posts
That car has been on and off ebay for a couple years now. Shame really that car is just sitting, waiting and waiting.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
They have a couple Esprits of different years like that and Lamborghini's. They are on Ebay all the time from that dealer. A local dealer here, F.C. Kerbeck has a brand new 25th anniversary Countach they will never sell. It just sits in the showroom- not good for gaskets I'm sure. If you do a search of every year on Ebay "2005", "2001","1999"(seperately), accompanied with "new" its interesting to see how many cars are still brand new.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Has it always been there? Or was it returned by (like another poster suggested) a "collector" who never titled it or drove it? It has less than 30 miles on it.

Always been there. And they have done maintenance and belt changes on it too...

·
Registered
321 Posts
That car is way overpriced, IMO. As soon as you drive it off the lot, it's a used 2000 Esprit with low miles...nothing more. Research prices on 2000 Esprits and you'll see they are selling for more than $20k less than the starting bid of $67,500. Yes, I know depreciation hits all cars as soon as they drive off the lot, but not like they do on an eight year old "new" car.

Also, being that it is a MY 2000, it may be subject to the cylinder liner issue, no?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Also, being that it is a MY 2000, it may be subject to the cylinder liner issue, no?
My understanding is that most of the liner issues were resolved by late '99. I have an '00 pushing 35k with no issues.

Massively overpriced, though. May as well buy a low-mile Esprit for a sane price, and dump 10k into it restoring everything that's not 100% perfect.

·
Banned
874 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
kinda unusual seeing a new car being sold without warranty! :huh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts