The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if you guys saw it or not but there is a pic of the new 2006/7 Elise in the latest issue of car and driver. The car looks more Voxhaulish. Also in that issue is a section about a new protoncars car, which Lotus should be using the chassis from to make their own new model.... If nobody comes up with a link, I will do scannies and post em....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
_JD_ said:
This should be the same Yellow picture that's been posted that is'nt a spy pic, but an artists rendering.
No, this is an actual pic of the prototype car and not an artists rendering. I will scan the pics in and post it here.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Isn't that the same pic that AutoExpress released a while ago? It's the yelllow car, with a front end reminiscent of the S2000. Other details can clearly be seen to be Elise, but it's not clear to me whether the photo has been computer-enhanced for the magazine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Re: And the new protoncar

Patricko said:
Is Protomotors part of Proton? I kind of doubt it but I could be wrong...
It might be part of another article.

I'm glad that I'm getting the current gen Elise, the NSX styled one looks funky.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Re: Re: And the new protoncar

Patricko said:
Is Protomotors part of Proton? I kind of doubt it but I could be wrong...
You are correct. Protomotors is a stand-alone company registered in South Korea. Established in 1997. They built stretch limo's and are moving into the MTO market. The Spirra is the car in picture above, and will sell for around 41k for the 2.0l and 58k for the 4.6l version.

Also, I hear that DC will eventually absorb Proton. Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The lurker crowd isn't happy about this. Lotus is changing the personality of the styling of the car. Gone are the beautiful ageless organic curves (described as feminine in another thread). They are being replaced with a more angular and musclular design that is supposedly in right now. Unfortunately, the new design looks more like a Camero than a european exotic.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Looks aweful...totally generic. In other words, WTF is lotus doing?

Lotus is suppose to establish benchmarks in automotive design and engineering, not maintain the status quo. That is extremely dissapointing if the next gen car will really look like that.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I can't believe that photo really represents the next Elise. Yes, it could be a prototype, but that means nothing. It could be a Proton-badged version of the next Elise for all we know. I still think it's not a true photograph - it's either a doctored image, or totally fake one.

Just look at those boat anchors, I mean wheels. There's so much external surface area, that they most likely weigh more than the current Elise wheels. This would be a departure from the design philosophy of the Elise, and compound the weight gain problem the next Elise likely faces (to meet Fed regulations). Thus, the photo cannot be 100% accurate, and if it can be shown to not be completely true, then everything about it can be called into question.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
That's the same orange/yellow picture that's making the rounds. It's a photoshopped stock photo of either a VX220 or an Elise or both that's being pawned off as a spy photo.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Looks like a run of about 4,500 cars over two years and then big changes may be
occurring that include bigger size, more comfort etc.. If so, our cars are going to escalate in value enormously, beginning
about two years from now. Remember, you heard it here first.....or second...or third.....Anyway, you've heard it!:)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Looks like they're aiming to get rid of all the Chapman influence in the company.

Pathetic.

BMW has been destroyed by Bangle, Lotus is in the process of being destroyed by Mr. Hole... what's next, Lamborghini announcing plans to stop building sports cars and start building family sedans?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts