The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Same picture showed up in Road and Track this month. They say it will debut in late 2005 as a 2006 model. At the rate Lotus is able to deliver cars that means, what?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ridgemaron, you may be right, but I think it more likely that our cars will just depreciate less. I don't see it increasing in value for at least 10, maybe 20 years - if at all (tough to say what the next classic collector cars will be).

If it really does debut in 2005, I'd count on it not arriving in the US until 2006 (as a 2007 model). They have a lot of play left in the current Elise design, so as long as there are orders for it, might as well sell 'em.

Kraemer - kinda is the key word. it's a very nice looking car, but after staring at pictures of the S2 Elise for years, it's pretty plain!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
Looks like they're aiming to get rid of all the Chapman influence in the company.

Pathetic.

BMW has been destroyed by Bangle, Lotus is in the process of being destroyed by Mr. Hole... what's next, Lamborghini announcing plans to stop building sports cars and start building family sedans?
No, Tractors and SUVs....

Hang on....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
OT

Steve W said:
No, Tractors and SUVs....

Hang on....
So is it true that Ferruccio Lamborghini started building cars because Enzo Ferrari, called him a farm boy and to go back to his tractors? or is that just an urban legend?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Re: OT

Miguel said:
So is it true that Ferruccio Lamborghini started building cars because Enzo Ferrari, called him a farm boy and to go back to his tractors? or is that just an urban legend?
I heard it's just an urban legend, though one that has become so widespread as to almost be accepted as fact.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: Re: OT

MattG said:
I heard it's just an urban legend, though one that has become so widespread as to almost be accepted as fact.
I saw a show just a couple nights ago on Lamborghini and it's legendary test driver "what's his name" repeated a similar story. Ferruccio Lamborghini took his Ferrari to Enzo (whom he personally knew) to fix a nagging problem and Ferruccio recommended a fix for the future Ferrari's. At that time, Enzo told Ferrucio that he should stick to building tractors and he would build the sports cars. (I know I probably butchered Lamborghini's first name- forgive me)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do we know if this is for real or just a feeler pic?

MattG said:
Ridgemaron, you may be right, but I think it more likely that our cars will just depreciate less. I don't see it increasing in value for at least 10, maybe 20 years - if at all (tough to say what the next classic collector cars will be).

If it really does debut in 2005, I'd count on it not arriving in the US until 2006 (as a 2007 model). They have a lot of play left in the current Elise design, so as long as there are orders for it, might as well sell 'em.

Kraemer - kinda is the key word. it's a very nice looking car, but after staring at pictures of the S2 Elise for years, it's pretty plain!
MattG's post hit a little on the things that I am concerned about when I heard of a new Elise. I was looking at having the Elise for a year or two and then moving on. Not that I don't love the Elise, but I am not a collector and I would rather "sample" cars for a while and then try out a different one. With this always being my intention I am leary about buying cars that are due for a revamp/redesign. Everytime there is a significant redesign the former model seems to be hit by a decent depreciation and loss of consumer interest. I do like both the "S3 Elise" (From the one pic that I have seen) and the S2 Elise. I know that I LOVE the S2 Elise, but I do not want to loose thousands of dollars on the resale value of my car if an S3 Elise on the very near horizon. Do we know how valid and accurate these reports are? Are they actively working on getting the S3 Elise to market in 2005/2006? I notice that most of the people that are "in the know" with Lotus goings on are silent on the posts about the S3 Elise. Any chance we can confirm or deny a S3 Elise redesign? Any info on if this is just a "feeler" pic or reality?

As a side comment, lets not get all twisted about the potential S3 Elise and suggesting Collin Chapman is rolling over in his grave from what they are doing. I am sure any redesign will have Lotus' core ideals in mind. I remember a few posts about the suspension bushing that were being used in the Fed Elise and how they were softer compared to the Euro spec Elise. There were some that were having fits saying that they were making the car soft and too "american-ized." Now that we have seen and driven the car everyone knows that the Fed Elise is amazing and just as good if not better than the Euro spec car. So lets not blast Lotus...yet.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Take a look at the lower pic - it is another photo chop of the same pic - sans wing, different front spoiler, hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I very much doubt Lotus would allow pics of the new elise to surface. The clam design has probably not even been completed yet.

I would assume all these pics are speculation. Don't believe the crap in the British press.

We might see a sneak preview a couple of years from now.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Boy, after seeing these pics my mind is set. I will have my Elise for a very long time. Thank god I got an S2, and when it wears out I will rebuild it. My car is so much prettier than that big, dull thing.

Our S2s will have legendary status 20 years from now. I plan to still have mine then...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
With all due respect

Lots of folks love the looks of the current Elise (especially those who actually HAVE one), but....

Whenever I saw pictures of the current Elise I always loved the look - compact, curvaceous, aggressive and pretty. But when I finally got to see one in real life (Rothrock's BRP) I was disappointed. It looks - and I hope this doesn't upset anyone - kind of cheesy and ricey. There are too many curves packed into a small chassis and too many cheap-looking louvers and vents. I'd still buy one except I'm waiting for more feedback on trackability (in the safety sense) and how it will be classified in Solo II.

The new design looks cleaner and more modern. OK, so it's not as distinctive.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: With all due respect

DanDotDan said:
Lots of folks love the looks of the current Elise (especially those who actually HAVE one), but....

Whenever I saw pictures of the current Elise I always loved the look - compact, curvaceous, aggressive and pretty. But when I finally got to see one in real life (Rothrock's BRP) I was disappointed. It looks - and I hope this doesn't upset anyone - kind of cheesy and ricey. There are too many curves packed into a small chassis and too many cheap-looking louvers and vents. I'd still buy one except I'm waiting for more feedback on trackability (in the safety sense) and how it will be classified in Solo II.

The new design looks cleaner and more modern. OK, so it's not as distinctive.
Cheesy:huh: ... Pass the crack pipe rotfl

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I LOVE my cheesy BRP Elise!

:drool:

And with the exception of the taillight molded "vents", the rest of them on the car all have a purpose and are used.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts