The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh:

I'm considering buying a 2006 Elise that has been on a dealer lot. I'm a little worried about the car sitting for so long, but with the warranty being in place, it seems like a good deal.

Any thoughts on doing?

Also, has anyone bought an extended warranty or have independent service recommendations in the Southern California area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this topic, actually, but I am not sure what search words would be best to get the info. I recall someone mentioning recently about potential tire issues and someone else mentioning the warranty period commencment, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I tried some searches...but you're right...this is a difficult topic to search for. I'll use some of your keywords.

·
Banned
874 Posts
exactly how much of a discount are they giving you? what is the price? I wouldn't buy it if it's close to the price of one that has been used and maintained

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If it’s a good price, color you like, exc. Get it. Warranty will fix any thing that goes wrong, like tires maybe not so round.

If the tires are messed up from sitting you should be able to know this with a quick test drive. A bit of speed and an out of round tire will most likely bounce. I’m sure the cars been moved a few times over the years so I would not be too worried about the tires.

Also maybe ask for a brake/clutch fluid change (all one system) as part of the sale, for that needs to get changed every so often regardless of miles. Two years is a good amount of time for this car so I would do this anyway.

Extended warranty, don’t bother. I have 60,000+ miles on my 06 and after a few time in to get a few thing tightened up, under 20,000 miles, never had any thing go wrong. An extended warranty would have been a complete waste of money (for me at least, I would be off it too by now). Not much on this car to go wrong. The money you would spend on a extended warranty would most likely pay for any fixing you may need, and can go to some up grade that will void your warranty or not be covered on it.

Best of luck getting a car
Kevin

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
How many miles are on the car? Was it used as a demo? My '05 was sitting on a lot for about a year, and it had maybe 20 miles on it when purchased, so it was truly SITTING on the lot. It has been running fine. I got a very nice deal on the car, and I hope you do as well. Get them to take at least 6 grand off sticker!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Maybe you should post a link to the car as I am sure someone in the area can take a look at it for you, if you are not local.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
From what I can see in the (small) pics..it has…
Turing pack.. I can see this from the carpit on the sides.
A hard top.
Base wheels … Black

From the “description” it has

LSD…limited slip dif…which also means it has traction control.
MP..????
TP..????
SS…???
HT..see above

I clicked on the little pictures but nothing opened up

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what they've told me.

LSD…limited slip dif…which also means it has traction control.
MP..Metallic Paint (which sounded odd to me on the yellow)
TP..Touring Pack
SS…Star Shield
HT..see above

Sounds like I need to search for a better deal. Any suggestions of a good place to find a good used one?

·
Banned
874 Posts
it says msrp 50k? NOT worth it if you're buying around that price. you shud get a huge discount.

·
Registered
203 Posts
it says msrp 50k? NOT worth it if you're buying around that price. you shud get a huge discount.
I agree... back in Nov of '07 I was looking at a new '06 on Silicon Valley Auto Group's website... and they were willing to let it go for $41k. Granted, that's not much less than the price you were given... but that was also 9 months ago. A new '06 should have depreciated since that time. If they can't at least get you into the high $30k range, I'd say pass.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I would say it’s an o.k. deal, but not a grate deal, since ..
It’s from a Lotus dealer but get a few more dolors off.
And
The hard top is a bit pricy
And the LSD is a bit pricy too.
These two things add a (big)bit to the price above what you may see elsewhere. Most cars do not have the LSD.

If you don’t want a LSD then look elsewhere. There’s a whole debate over the LSD so you need to decide what’s good for you and your wants and needs. You could get a used 06 cheaper with no LSD and buy some up grades.

The hard top is a nice thing to have but you can sell it quick if you don’t want it. I think it could go for around 800 to 1000 but check the for sale threads.

If you really like this yellow, like the LSD, and prefer to be the one and only owner (all the miles are yours) I would say try to make a deal and maybe get it. And get the brake fluid changed.

I feel for 50,000 you are not that far from a newer one, but the car is vary well equipped, more so then most. Go for 47,000ish and see what happens. And if 47,00 is to much someone else here will yell stop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They've offered it at just under $43. I like the high 30's range though. I would probably jump on a used one in the low $30's if I could get an extended warranty (I tend to worry about expensive repairs being needed).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
43,000 sounds good to me. Its better equipped then any new nonSC car is going to be. And the metallic yellow (metallic is more $ then the nonmetallic colors) to me is a bit nicer but that’s up to your tastes. The only thing this car is sort of missing is the sports pack, but you are maybe better off getting after market shock/wheels/tires then paying for the sport pack. This is assuming you will want to up grade the suspension. If not, then the standard suspension is fine.

·
Banned
874 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts