The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New 2012 Evora S - Cruise doesn't work? FIXED!!!!

Bought and had a new 2012 S model shipped from New Jersey to Prescott AZ last week, absolutely love the car but the cruise doesn't work. Was hoping it was just a fuse but there doesn't seem to be a fuse for the cruise control. Waiting to hear what the dealer recommends as they are waiting to hear from a factory rep. Has anybody else had this problem and if so, was there an easy solution? The closest dealer to me is in Nevada about 200 miles away, I may have to take it to them if I can't resolve the problem myself. The cruise control won't turn on so it seems to be a power issue, maybe there is an electrical socket not plugged in or something simple like that? :shrug:

EFE EVS

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Bought and had a new 2012 S model shipped from New Jersey to Prescott AZ last week, absolutely love the car but the cruise doesn't work. Was hoping it was just a fuse but there doesn't seem to be a fuse for the cruise control. Waiting to hear what the dealer recommends as they are waiting to hear from a factory rep. Has anybody else had this problem and if so, was there an easy solution? The closest dealer to me is in Nevada about 200 miles away, I may have to take it to them if I can't resolve the problem myself. The cruise control won't turn on so it seems to be a power issue, maybe there is an electrical socket not plugged in or something simple like that? :shrug:

EFE EVS
My steering wheel had a bad "clock spring" I could give the wheel a "bump" at about 2 and 7 o'clock and it would work for awhile. finally had the dealer fix it, but it still can be a bit cantankerous. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Mine works fine (2013 IPS n/a) but the on/off switch is sticky. In other words, you go to press it on and it gets stuck on and when it unsticks itself, it turns off. If I play with it enough, I can get it to work properly. For me, this is likely a simple replace the switch or loosen it issue and I'll deal with it the next time the car is in for service as I rarely use cruise control. This past weekend I went on a 325 mile ride so cruise control helped for part of it

I'm not a mechanic obviously but I am definitely a driver :)

Enjoy your new toy - so much fun!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
You can give Penske's Scottsdale Maserati/Ferrari a try. They were the Lotus dealer until 1/1/14. They MIGHT (and that's a big might) be able to get that addressed under warranty even if they are not a dealer anymore.

Russell Bastian
Service Consultant
Scottsdale Ferrari | Maserati | Lotus
480-421-3854 | [email protected]

EFE EVS

·
Registered
890 Posts
Cruise Fix

Cruise control was intermittent from the beginning.

Corrected by replacing the connection in the steering column.

Perfect ever since.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'll try the simple fix on the clutch first then the steering wheel if the clutch fix doesn't work. I'll let everybody know what I found.

A quick question about unhooking the battery. I thought I read elsewhere that if the battery is disconnected you not only loose all your settings but something else is required to set the ecu correctly, am I correct about that? Will I lose my Homelink garage door settings also?

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Fixed cruise control problem!

Problem fixed!

As per W.O.H advice, I took the steering wheel apart first, then used a ohm meter to check the harness wiring and all associated cruise switches, all were making good connections but I used small tie wraps to secure the wiring against the steering wheel frame and tight against the sockets they're plugged into. That wasn't the problem though. Next, I inspected the clutch pedal and the rotary switch that is connected to it via a plastic fork, that was the problem.

I will vary a little from what W.O.H said and this will fix the problem so you'll never have to deal with it again.

Near the top of the clutch pedal arm, there is a 3/16 X 1 1/4 inch long shaft sticking out horizontally from the clutch arm and the shaft slides between two fingers of a plastic fork. Picture taking your right hand index finger and holding it in front of you horizontally, then take your left hand index and middle finger and place it over your right index finger as a cowboy's legs straddling a horse. When you press the clutch petal, that shaft rotates the fork which is connected to a rotary switch, that switch sends a signal to the cruise control. The rotary switch is mounted to a flat metal arm that is bolted to the firewall. The problem is, the plastic fork is right near the end of the 3/16 shaft and eventually slips off as if a horse rider was riding on the tail end of a horse and slipped off, he needs to be planted securely in the middle of the horse and not at the tail end. W.O.H suggested bending the plastic fork just a little so it is straddling the end of the shaft again. The problem with that is, that plastic fork will bend a little but it will only slip off again in time. The entire fork and switch and the mount they are attached to need to move over a good 1/4 inch so the fork is not near the end of the shaft but securely straddling it. As I stated already, the entire switch and fork assembly are mounted to a metal arm (or bracket) which is bolted to the firewall with two bolts. All you need to do is get your hand securely on that metal arm and bend it closer towards the clutch pedal, this will move the switch and fork into a position with the shaft going all the way through the fork and it will never slip off again. If any of you want to check to see if your fork is nearly slipping off the end of the shaft, just take a light and lay on your back under the drivers side dash. It's pretty simple to take your hand up to that mounting arm (bracket) and bend it towards the clutch pedal, this will position the plastic fork further onto the shaft so it won't slip off the end.

Thanks to all and to W.O.H for pointing out the two problem areas. I did not see any problem with the wires or connectors in the steering wheel, they looked to be a tight fit. Cruise control works great now! :coolnana:

EFE EVS :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Now that you say it, I remember that one! You should also get an engine fault (throttle)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts