The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a new 2021 Evora, manual obviously, and having a difficult time getting the dealer to appreciate a shifting problem. Basically, the car will often simply not shift into 1st. To be clear, this is not about it being “tight.” I press the clutch and the shifter will simply not move into 1st. This occurs at a dead stop or at very low speeds. Running through the gears eventually seems to work—I say “seems” because maybe something else is happening. It is becoming a safety issue.

I’ve seen past posts where some people unconvincingly try to explain this away. But I test drove two 2021 Evoras and they shifted like any other car. And it seems as though the posters eventually got this fixed. I’ve tried some suggestions like double pumping the clutch when the car is off with no success.

In a poor but necessary decision, I bought from a dealer not in my area (DC). But the sole technician at the dealer keeps telling the other employees—not gotten him in the phone directly yet— this is normal or is because of some lightweight materials. Since it is a long drive to get there, I don’t want to show up and deal with possible deflection via unclear lingo (I only say possible since maybe it’s just not clear to the tech). I’m simply not a mechanic. Lotus itself has not responded to my calls and emails. Any thoughts or recent experiences are appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
Seems you aren't alone. I wonder if it might be the clutch position switch? It's a frequent source of issues. Who's your dealer?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
When I first got mine, it would occasionally do this. I always just let the clutch back out in neutral, clutch in and try again. My problem solved itself and doesn't happen anymore.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had a similar problem with 1st and 2nd even when the car was turned off. At the same time my trunk release stopped working so figured low voltage/battery issue. Battery tested fine but went ahead and replaced it and the problems disappeared. Another British oddity.

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
Reactions: acslater

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
I read his post and I was like...wait a sec, that's basically what I said but with poor synonym selection
Yeah but we get that with many now with the influx of non US members. It was just tip of iceberg in this case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. Lotus responded:
“Our cars come with a low inertia flywheel, due to this, 1st and reverse may take a second to engage after pressing the clutch in. The quick test of this is to press the clutch in, count to 5 in your head, and then try to engage 1st. If it goes in, there is no issue, if it still does not go into gear without running through the rest of the gears first, there may be a small issue within the shift system that needs to be looked into.”

I’ve only ever fixed bicycles so I don’t fully understand what that means in this context. I’ve never had an issue going in reverse. The roads in my area are covered in ice and salt, and I haven’t gone out to test. But just turning on the car it won’t immediately shift and then pressing the clutch (much) longer sometimes seemed to help. Odd that no mechanic ever seems to have told other people this or no one asked Lotus itself, so we are left with theories based on old cars or on terrible movies (jk!). I’ll try to test soon, but maybe that will help someone else. The answer feels feasible, albeit incomplete: no car that I tested did this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Lotus responded:
“Our cars come with a low inertia flywheel, due to this, 1st and reverse may take a second to engage after pressing the clutch in. The quick test of this is to press the clutch in, count to 5 in your head, and then try to engage 1st. If it goes in, there is no issue, if it still does not go into gear without running through the rest of the gears first, there may be a small issue within the shift system that needs to be looked into.”

I’ve only ever fixed bicycles so I don’t fully understand what that means in this context. I’ve never had an issue going in reverse. The roads in my area are covered in ice and salt, and I haven’t gone out to test. But just turning on the car it won’t immediately shift and then pressing the clutch (much) longer sometimes seemed to help. Odd that no mechanic ever seems to have told other people this or no one asked Lotus itself, so we are left with theories based on old cars or on terrible movies (jk!). I’ll try to test soon, but maybe that will help someone else. The answer feels feasible, albeit incomplete: no car that I tested did this.
Wonder if it's because of the clutch damper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts