The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Auto Express: New 2021 Lotus Type 131 to join line-up between Exige and Evora | Auto Express

Some highlights - it’ll be based on an all-new, lightweight platform
- will shun hybrid drive in favour of a purely combustion powered reliant powertrain,
- we will have access to powertrains that exist within the group today and powertrains that are under development. But we’re not restricted to that. We’re very free to collaborate with, and source from, other manufacturers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That’s going to have to grow on me - I’m not immediately jumping up and down at the pics/design shown there...

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Popham's quotes are from their own 2019 article, and the images are not photos but drawings of what they think it could look like. They are "exclusive" because they drew them. Then look back at the 2010 Paris photos to see where these came from.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Popham's quotes are from their own 2019 article, and the images are not photos but drawings of what they think it could look like. They are "exclusive" because they drew them. Then look back at the 2010 Paris photos to see where these came from.
Whew! Because that rendition is definitely “lacking”!

Kevin

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
78 Posts
I'm interested to see this. Pricing will likely be $80k though, and bigger and heavier than the Elige which is unfortunate. Give me a new Elise, keep it under 2300 lbs and ~$65k and I would be in. With the Exige already having the V6, I don't see a lot of space for this car to fit into. A new generation of either car would be better than trying to fit between the Evora and Elige.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
With the Exige already having the V6, I don't see a lot of space for this car to fit into. A new generation of either car would be better than trying to fit between the Evora and Elige.
I agree, with the following thoughts:

* The Evora is still a valid model in the lineup. Its styling still fits today's expectations, its performance is appropriate for its market niche, etc. so there's little incentive to retire the Evora. It's also the only vehicle they have for the Federal market. Furthermore, it has the advantage of being 10 years old, which means the big bugs have been sorted (read: lower warranty expenses) and its R&D costs have been fully amortized - making it a cash cow. For all of these reasons, every additional year of Evora production is much more profitable than would be the early years of any replacement. Why walk away from that bottom-line contribution before market forces demand it?

* It could be that the 131 is intended to be Federal rated. That would explain their description of "between an Exige and Evora". The Exige (and Elise) already existed as the Federal requirements shifted, and Lotus wasn't willing to compromise the design. But a newly designed vehicle, which incorporates the latest Federal requirements from Day One, could qualify. That would give Lotus a second model to ship to the USA market. And once that's in place, I hesitate to say but it might gently usher in the retirement of the Exige. Given your point about overlap from the 131 down to the Exige, why not retain the world-market 131 and ship it everywhere instead of having two overlapping models, one of which is market specific? They could retain the Elise for absolute go kart performance, the Evora for the high end, and let the 131 cover the middle ground now served by the Exige.

* They may need a new production platform to test new technologies they are planning for the future. That could explain why a "new car" instead of a refresh... they need a blank sheet of paper to incorporate some of their next-gen tech.

Just random thoughts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am also guessing that the new car is likely going to replace the Exige long term. I think it's going to be an Exige style car with a nicer interior, more creature comforts, and new design language. The Evora is going to get retired eventually and the type 131 is going to get a big brother that is more expensive and in line with the 992 911 in size, weight, and price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
do you think the new lotus will continue with the Toyota engine? Or more lean towards the geely motor from what i have read. ( I'm not familiar with anything geely makes )

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They definitely based their rendering on 2010 Elise concept from the Dany Bahar era. I doubt that they would be recycling any of the designs from that period. Maybe the 131 will be like the 2010 Elan concept in size (but not design) being between the Exige and Evora.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
78 Posts
do you think the new lotus will continue with the Toyota engine? Or more lean towards the geely motor from what i have read. ( I'm not familiar with anything geely makes )
My completely random, based on nothing guess is that they'll take the 2.0 from Volvo honestly.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
760 Posts
They definitely based their rendering on 2010 Elise concept from the Dany Bahar era. I doubt that they would be recycling any of the designs from that period. Maybe the 131 will be like the 2010 Elan concept in size (but not design) being between the Exige and Evora.
I finally listened to the April chat with senior management yesterday (it's on the TLF Facebook page), and at that time they were talking about pulling Evija styling cues into the new car. If you don't see any of that in the picture, it's most likely a stale rendering.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
What amazes me is that there is no powerplant that has a better hp/weight than the 13 year old Exige supercharged platform. The Current Exige outweighs the old by 400 pounds or so, and most of that is Engine/trans

I think sales wise they should build a new Elan, front engine rear drive. Something you don't have to fall into

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
78 Posts
What amazes me is that there is no powerplant that has a better hp/weight than the 13 year old Exige supercharged platform. The Current Exige outweighs the old by 400 pounds or so, and most of that is Engine/trans

I think sales wise they should build a new Elan, front engine rear drive. Something you don't have to fall into
That's not a bad idea, but I don't see it. Lotus doesn't want to compete against the FR crowd. Plus handling suffers, and that's not acceptable from a Lotus. Though I don't feel the Evija is really a very true Lotus, so who knows what Geely has planned.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I disagree, for street cars, for non supercars, the handling losses are irrelevant. Most of the F-R crowd are either SUVs or way downmarket.

At the end of the day, you need to sell cars.
We saw what the market was for Elises, and it is small.

The cost advantages to the mid engine market are too attractive to ignore, as the huge availability drivetrains makes it cheap, so that is the reality.

The cheapest option would be to radically de content an Evora, 4 cylinder forced induction, new bodywork, could probably lose 600 pounds

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,619 Posts
Since nobody asked, here's my opinion:
If I could overhaul the entire Lotus lineup I would go for three models.
Entry level would be similar to the Elise. 2 seater, midengine, turbocharged 4 cylinder, targa body, with decent standard equipment including an optional auto transmission. Price starting at $50k
Mid level would be a front engine, rear drive 2 seater. The GT of the line up. Available as coupe or convertible. NA V6 or low boost twin turbo V6. Performance, size and price similar to the new BMW Z4.
Top level would be the new Esprit. Midengine, 2 seater, high boost twin turbo V6, rear drive, coupe only. Lots of standard equipment, optional DCT and priced against the entry level McLarens and sportier 911s.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
78 Posts
I disagree, for street cars, for non supercars, the handling losses are irrelevant. Most of the F-R crowd are either SUVs or way downmarket.

At the end of the day, you need to sell cars.
We saw what the market was for Elises, and it is small.

The cost advantages to the mid engine market are too attractive to ignore, as the huge availability drivetrains makes it cheap, so that is the reality.

The cheapest option would be to radically de content an Evora, 4 cylinder forced induction, new bodywork, could probably lose 600 pounds
I disagree, the Supra, high end mustangs, C7 and older vettes are not way downmarket, but there is not a single FR car with 0-60 under 3.0 sure that's getting into supercar territory, but my Elise will outhandle my dad's C7 vette all day long. Similar price points when new, but very different experience.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It will use Geely/Volvo sourced engine turbo/supercharged paired with 8 spd auto transmission +hybrid option

1 - 20 of 29 Posts