The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any news about Lotus exige 2021?
I'm hoping to get the new one if there was anything coming
Any one has any idea please let me know I will appreciate that because I will plan my finances
馃槑
馃憤

Premium Member
Is there any news about Lotus exige 2021?
I'm hoping to get the new one if there was anything coming
Any one has any idea please let me know I will appreciate that because I will plan my finances
馃槑
馃憤
Yes! Good news on this. The new Exige will be released immediately following the new Evora GT-S III 485 convertible. The roadster version of this car was originally announced 8/5/2008, however, it was delayed so that the new Elan - announced in September of 2010 - could be rushed to market. As you know, the Elan's delivery schedule was just recently updated to 2022, so it is expected to be at dealers in the spring of 2027. The Exige cannot be far behind!:)

Premium Member
from what I've heard talking to someone at Lotus UK, they are looking to reveal a new car using the Evora tub, a hybrid engine, and following the Evija design language next year. They are currently doing the dynamic test of it on their track along side the Evija right now.

I do not know if they plan to continue using the names Elise, Exige, and Evora for their post-Evija cars

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! Good news on this. The new Exige will be released immediately following the new Evora GT-S III 485 convertible. The roadster version of this car was originally announced 8/5/2008, however, it was delayed so that the new Elan - announced in September of 2010 - could be rushed to market. As you know, the Elan's delivery schedule was just recently updated to 2022, so it is expected to be at dealers in the spring of 2027. The Exige cannot be far behind!:)
LOL it will be longer than life sentence
馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
from what I've heard talking to someone at Lotus UK, they are looking to reveal a new car using the Evora tub, a hybrid engine, and following the Evija design language next year. They are currently doing the dynamic test of it on their track along side the Evija right now.

I do not know if they plan to continue using the names Elise, Exige, and Evora for their post-Evija cars
This news made my day 馃槏馃槏馃槏馃憣馃憤馃挭

Registered
Hussain, Lotus has been bought and sold a number of times in recent years. Many of their product plans have been revised or delayed. It sounds like some new cars are in the pipeline but that might be for 2 or 3 years from now. No one really knows.

Registered
Firstly, I doubt that we will ever see the likes of an "Elise" anytime soon. The plans that have been announced are for an Evora evolved platform, that will cost more than the current range. To me, I truly hope that Lotus doesn't try to capitalize on brand equity of the names Elise or Exige. Take the name Supra, Mustang or Corvette, each of those names have a specific connotation, and arguably all of those have grossly offended it's fanbase in the past few years. If Lotus were to come out with a new Elise, every single one of us would have an expectation for a certain approach, driving dynamic, experience, and price point. Simply by not using the name Elise, the car would shirk any trappings and expectations/ preconceptions we as enthusiasts would bring to the acceptance of the car.

Registered
Firstly, I doubt that we will ever see the likes of an "Elise" anytime soon. The plans that have been announced are for an Evora evolved platform, that will cost more than the current range. To me, I truly hope that Lotus doesn't try to capitalize on brand equity of the names Elise or Exige. Take the name Supra, Mustang or Corvette, each of those names have a specific connotation, and arguably all of those have grossly offended it's fanbase in the past few years. If Lotus were to come out with a new Elise, every single one of us would have an expectation for a certain approach, driving dynamic, experience, and price point. Simply by not using the name Elise, the car would shirk any trappings and expectations/ preconceptions we as enthusiasts would bring to the acceptance of the car.
Really don鈥檛 intend to be condescending but you鈥檙e aware Lotus currently makes an Elise and Exige to this day?

Registered
Really don鈥檛 intend to be condescending but you鈥檙e aware Lotus currently makes an Elise and Exige to this day?
you're not condescending, you simply don't understand what I mean't. Lotus has been using the same architecture for the past almost 20 years, and haven't imported it to the States for a decade due to federalization requirements that the current models cannot meet. Designing a vehicle from the ground up (as Lotus is preparing to do) to meet the US requirements would require the car to have a much different approach, thus risking going against what made the Elise/Exige so special in the first place. Therefore, capitalizing on the name Elise/Exige would alienate many enthusiasts due to our expectations of a bare bones, direct, old school sports car that in today in age, frankly is getting more difficult to produce, let alone live up to the varied expectations of what every one of us would want it to be. Using a new name altogether relieves the company of some of the hype and expectation of the consumer.

Premium Member
Two things: 1. Unless Geely has a different vision for Lotus than they've so far demonstrated, the Elige is too focused (impractical) a car to be regarded as commercially viable by a Chinese megacorp. Expect something more like the Cayman/Boxter twins at the daintiest.

Enjoy the old Elige. We shall not see its like again - side impact air bags and active everything management pretty much ensure that.

As for naming, I'd have to say that Lotus does not have a great track record with reusing names. The M100 Elan was nowhere near the success that the original Elan was, and the Europa S was even less so. Better odds with a new name, I'd say, and expectation setting is a lot easier.

Given that the only requirement be that it begin with E and have less than four syllables, I'm sure something can be found.

Registered
I truly hope that Lotus doesn't try to capitalize on brand equity of the names Elise or Exige.
I hadn't put much thought into this, but your reasoning makes a lot of sense. It is also depressingly evident that we won't ever see an Elige as the members of LotusTalk conceive of it federalized.

Registered
I just hope that the new name is not "Expensive". I'd be interested in a new sports car in the same $$ ballpark as the Elise. And for me it has to be a convertible.

Registered
Let's say that Lotus wants to produce a car that meets modern US standards, what needs to get updated, and how much would that change the best aspects of the Elige (i.e. cost, weight, feel, perf). I know little about this subject, but from what I gather, here are a few I know:

• Side airbags
  • up to 5mph impact without damage
  • something about the front turn signals/headlights?
I'm sure there are plenty of things barring federalization since the last import waver expired, what have I missed?

Premium Member
There are two sets of criteria here: The regulatory minimum and what third parties (mostly IIHS up the road from me) test and rate on. Lotus drivers aren't generally shopping on the 'Volvo' axis of safety at all costs, but I wonder what a one star rating from IIHS would do for sales.

Regulatory requirements:

FMVSS 208 still requires pretty much the same crash test it did in 2005. The specific requirements that the 2005 Elise needed waivers for were headlight height and specification (E-code) and low speed impact damage cost (no soft bumper). When the waivers expired, the Elise and Exige stopped coming to US streets.

FMVSS 214 mandates side impact protection, and has resulted in more elaborate door beams, more door padding, and side curtain air bags. The existing Elige tub probably could be modified to do all this, although I haven't looked at the dimensions of the side impact sled used - a structural A pillar might be required to deal with a sled a lot taller than an Elige to keep the sled's 'bumper' from bashing the driver's head in because of an under ride issue. This one would probably add some weight to the car.

FMVSS 216 is probably cake. It's roof intrusion and rollover protection, and if the Elige's roll bar doesn't meet the requirement, it's an easy fix to make it do so.

I don't remember the FMVSS for the 2.5 MPH bumper law, but it's there and the Lotus would have to meet it.

The IIHS small and moderate overlap front tests aren't that bad, and an Elige tub will naturally direct the small overlap barrier away from the foot well as the front suspension is sheared off on that side. The front crash structure might need a little design work to pass the medium overlap test, but maybe not if the front suspension absorbs enough energy. The other IIHS tests are similar to the federal tests.

The Lotus's low height is a problem with some of these fixtures as I've indicated. This would require some mass up higher in the car to deal with the 'bumper' on the fixture. The good news is that the lighter weight of the Lotus pays off - you're managing less kinetic energy in a collision, which means that the managing structures can be smaller and lighter than on a larger, heavier vehicle. Considering FMVSS 214 for example, the sled hits the driver's side of the car on its wheels at ~30 mph. If the whole car skates sideways instead of deforming the door beams and A and B pillars, that means the structural stuff in the Lotus doesn't have to be as strong to do the job = adding lightness.

Intestingly, I ran across this Lotus Engineering report done for CARB in 2012 that explores doing all of this in a lightweight structure derived from the Toyota Venza. It's one of the better reads I've run across on this, along with this brief Car and Driver article from 2012.

Registered
@steelypip fantastic write-up!

From what I read, it actually doesn't sound all that problematic to meet US standards. The biggest two issues as I see it are side and low-speed front impact. The low-speed impact might be the most difficult because it requires both engineering and design to find a solution that doesn't kill the styling and can be accomplished cost-effectively.

It seems to my nieve self that the side impact is mostly a matter of adding weight in the form of airbags.

So maybe the forecast of "Never again to the US" isn't as certain as I had thought. Of course, these engineering challenges aren't the only issues, I know. Perhaps the biggest one is: is there even a market for the car large enough to be profitable?

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
if slotted above Evora, guessing $140k to $150k?
I guess it might start from 80k up to 150k it depends on the specifications and class gt4 and gt3 maybe remember the exige and evora will not be in production so I assume the new platform will have something similar to porsche one design but different class options
This is just assumption

Premium Member
The article said "slotted above the current Evora," so I assumed the base price would have to be higher. According to Edmunds, the current base price is $98,450, and with all options, can run to around $130k already, so that's what drove my speculation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts