The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to introduce myself. I just took delivery of my 91 SE.

I bought Bob Barton’s car, and first off I would like to say a thank you to Bob for the outstanding work he did on the car. His automotive skills and attention to detail in bringing the car up to spec have been excellent; he deserves a lot of credit.

He is off on a new adventure with the purchase of a Factory Five 818S and I’m anxious to hear all about that.

I’ve been a BMW owner for some time now and have a 97 M3 Coupe and, a 01 Z3 Roadster, and sadly the M will be going to help pay for the SE.

I’m looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Ed

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome! I'm sure you will love the car, although owning a Lotus reminds me of the beginning lines of a famous book: "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times" :D

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
Hi, I want to introduce myself. I just took delivery of my 91 SE.[snip]
I’ve been a BMW owner for some time now [snip]
Congratulations! How about a short story about why you wanted an Esprit?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Welcome and PICS! WE NEED PICS!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Welcome to the board! Tons of info here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome...to the club Ed!. I wish I had that peace of mind and confidence knowing that the previous owner is a highly skilled mechanic! Your 91 SE is red right? I have seen his thread . Very very nice car by the way! Mine also is a 91 SE with Titanium silver color and bought from a guy that knows nothing about fixing. Anyway, congrats and no worries, this forum is filled with highly skilled and helpful guys. Show us some pics...

JR.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some pics.

As for the story, years back I rebuilt a lotus 22 and ran it in FB. Always had a great respect for Colin Chapman. Love the lines of the Esprit. What's not to love about a Pretty Woman?

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the last picture...your esprit stands out...it made your bimmers just a car ;) just kidding :) Red is the best color for this car..love it love it love it! Enjoy my friend... your car is going to get a lot of attention...

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
To enhance the driving experience there are some things you can buy that are useful. A short list:

A radar detector (a passport or a V-1)

A good set of driving shoes, the pedals are very close together and regular shoes can be large and be hard to hit just the pedal you want

A set of driving gloves

Freescan and a cable so you can get the trouble codes when you need to.

Leatherique.com to take care of the leather

drcolorchip.com to fix the road rash

Griotsgarage.com to take care of the car cleaning

JAE for parts

Keep up with the PM (preventive maintenance) and the car will like it and run better, change the brake and clutch fluid EVERY YEAR, Battery every 5, tires every 7, fluids and filters and belts as per the manual. Redline MT-90 for the transaxle.

A Battery Tender for when you don't use it regularly (hook it up 1 day every 2 weeks when not using it)

Always check the tire pressures, especially before a "spirited" run.

David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
156 Posts
Best of luck with the car Ed!! I sure had a lot of fun with it as I'm sure you will too. I'm so happy to see her go to a good home. These guys are very helpful on this forum and have always been very insightful on anything lotus. Looks like most of the stuff David mentioned I already gave you lol!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
467 Posts
Welcome aboard Ed. Lovely looking car! My Esprit makes my old M6 feel like a truck. Enjoy.

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Keep this in mind while working on the Esprit. It has helped me keep a good attitude after having worked on many German and Japanese cars. My previous car was a 2003 BMW M5 and before that a 1995 BMW M3, both of which I worked on extensively.

The Lotus Esprit was built with "Prototype Engineering". Someone on this board stated that, and it is certainly true. At times when you think the car is cobbled together, remind yourself it is a hand built, limited production car.

It is a unique experience for a mechanic, but it is fun. I just wish someone sold a complete hardware kit to replace all of the untreated nuts, bolts and screws with stainless or coated bolts.

Enjoy

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm looking forward to getting the car registered. The seats are out to have some upholstery repairs done. Cant wait to get it on the road.

Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.