The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
it looks better than current one. But I still don't like the vents in the front bumper. Nor do I like the taillights. I wish they had gone back to the red line across the back light cluster. They brought it back only for the current 911 4S.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
997 is an improvement over the 996, but still not up to the 993's appearance, IMO. And I doubt the quality will match that of the 993 either

I'm a bit disillusioned with Porsche. While the 'flagship' turbo, GT2/3 are impressive indeed, the standard 996 fails to capture the 'edge' of the earlier 911s. They are becoming more and more like BMW -- a trend that will likely continue. Not that the new BMWs and Porsches are 'bad' -- they are very potent street cars, but it seems to me that something has been lost. I am sure I'll get lots of people disagreeing with me, but I know that I am not alone in this opinion

I do believe that Lotus has a real opportunity now to sell an affordable 'enthusiast' car. I don't think there is anything that compares that's for sale in the U.S. for under 100k.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,639 Posts
I wonder if the 997 will weigh 3500 lbs like the 996...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree, the guys at porsche lost sight of what got them to where they are today, they sold out to the babie boomer mainstream, they makeup for the performance lost due to weight with more horsepower each year and model. The fact remains if you ask a real car guy which porsche are the best, 911 rsr and earlier model 911 derivaties come to mind, the 996 tt is great but 130k is alot of cake, the new 996 gt2-3 are cool also big bucks, Lotus is scratching the right itch.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The fact remains if you ask a real car guy which porsche are the best, 911 rsr and earlier model 911 derivaties come to mind, the 996 tt is great but 130k is alot of cake, the new 996 gt2-3 are cool also big bucks
Yup. I've owned three 911s, and if I buy another, it'll be pre-996, or a GT3 if the prices drop to a more reasonable level.

Other new models aren't in the running for me

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I agree that Lotus is filling the niche Porsche once held, but I'm fearful Lotus, in search for more mainstream profits, will end that way.

As for the new 997, in trying to recapture the 993, it reminds me more of a VW New Beetle. Well, at least 997 owners won't have to worry about it being confused with the Boxster. :p

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Pcars started going dowhill after 993, it don't get better than that boys.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by grudkin
997 is an improvement over the 996, but still not up to the 993's appearance, IMO. And I doubt the quality will match that of the 993 either
i totally agree. if i were to buy a porsche today, it would most probably be a 993 turbo.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
shay2nak said:
i totally agree. if i were to buy a porsche today, it would most probably be a 993 turbo.
Someone on a board who was commenting on the 997 spy shot once said, "if I wanted a 993, I'd get a 993!"

I'm not sure if the power increase, interior revisions, are really enough to improve 911 sales. Going back to a 993 design is like saying the last 6 years were a mistake. :confused:

It's unfortunate Lotus isn't in a position to release the next generation Espirit this year. It would have given the 997 a run for it money.

·
Registered
592 Posts
When I told my father I was buying an Elise he was shocked that I was not buying a 911. I have wanted one for 30 years, but I also have become disappointed in the later cars.

Porsche was once known as a funny little car that were giant killers. Unfortunately they have chased comfort and convenience and have added HP to make up for weight. The Elise is definitely in the same mold as early Porsches. Bottom line, I would still buy a 993 or earlier car but the company is losing its focus. .:mad:

·
Registered
368 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I wonder if the 997 will weigh 3500 lbs like the 996...:rolleyes:
I believe the 997 gains 55lbs, but at the same time it gains 10hp. The S version has about 355hp. And I must agree that the 993 is the best, and my favorite being the 1997 Turbo S.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by Little Bastard
I agree too. 993s RULES! :eek:
Neil
Badass pic of a Turbo S, Neil.

I was just checking eBay and 96-98 turbos run around $65k-75k. Damn. Even Carreras are still expensive - 50k...well 35k for a 1996. More than a new Elise!!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
shay2nak said:
THIS IS A PORSCHE!!
Droool :eek: :clap: The old turbos might be slower than the new ones, but man! do they have character. I also think they are harder to drive, I like that too! The new cars are soo perfect (engineering) they are boring.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
993 RS would be my pic, but it was never brought here officially

1994 C2 Turbo is also a keeper. I'd prefer the 2WD to the 993 Turbo AWD

1 - 20 of 43 Posts