The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
What wheels are these and are spacers required? Thank you for doing so much research on small diameter wide wheels!
I'm running 205/50/15 A052 on 15x7 ET30 & 245/45/16 A052 on 16x8 ET35 rims. No problem at all.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Tire Rack now has A052s in the stock sizes for the LSS wheels.
Has anybody had these out on track yet?
My car was down for the track portion of the rally but I got it running again for the Kancamangus highway cruise (think of a minor version of tail of the dragon) on the third day, and I went up with a large group and came back with a couple buddies, and in a group of supercars, absolutely no one could catch the car in the corners. I was trying hard to get the car to squirm or break free in any way shape or form and the new limits are so much greater than they were that I need a serious re-adjustment as a driver.

It's actually made me fall back in love with the car. The difference between these tires and the R888Rs is greater, or at least equal to, the difference I experienced when I went from stock LSS suspension to Penskes's on the same R888Rs.

Now that being said I'm running into rubbing issues at the moment with the 215's up front but I also slammed the car. Front ride height is a tick under 120MM. So I'm certainly pushing the limits.

For example, the tires were picking up very large stones. I found a stone (similar size to what you'd find on a gravel/stone driveway) lodged into the air inlet grills behind the doors.
Also while taking a sharp right hand corner at the top of 3rd the rear tires must have picked up a large stone and sent it flying up and forward, so much so, that it entered the cabin through the passenger window and bounced off the dashboard.
Never seen that before.

·
Registered
929 Posts
What wheels are these and are spacers required? Thank you for doing so much research on small diameter wide wheels!
Sorry, quit my job and was traveling for a bit so this is a late reply. The effective offset is +20 front and rear. The fronts are +28 from Enkei and apparently some people run them without spacers, but I found I needed one 5 mm and one 3 mm spacer to clear. The rears are +25 from Konig and you really need at least one 5 mm spacer in order to avoid contact with the suspension arm through the full range of travel (I confirmed by running my suspension through the entire range without springs fitted).

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what about A052 205/50/16 fitting? If it is possible what I need to do to minimize liner rubbing? Rear A052 is 235/45/17 or 255/40/17. Are 235/45/17 fitting fine on the rear?
Basically you cant run the often used 205/235 Direzza specs on these new A052's...I did, and with the car in its track stance, those 52s were on the fender just standing still. I immediately propped the car up and sent them back to TR until the proper sizes are to be released. They def run wide/tall.

I went with R888R's. I'm still very curious how these will do though and plan to revisit them once the proper sizes are released. The idea of an R (softer) with that high of a tw is enticing to say the least. Plus, I'm an RE11/71 guy, and love those tires, as they've proved to be nearly as good as 888's with better predictability.
What about the 205/50-16 didn't fit? Are they too tall or too wide? What is your wheel offset and at what camber? Any info you might remember will be useful!

I'd like to run 205s up front but it's looking like that's not a possibility 😞

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I can confirm now that the A052s are faster than the R888Rs. Our local track washed away in a flash flood earlier this summer and they luckily rebuilt quickly .
Got out on track for the first time since running with the R888Rs last season, which my best time posted was 1:07.5.

I knocked a full second off that time almost immediately, 3 laps into the first session, and followed it up with multipl 1:06's. Then knocked another full second later that day as I settled in.
The alignment is worse than it was too, I have to keep the front end of the car higher than it should be to clear the front tires with the very aggressive offset that the wheels have. So I think there's another 1.5 seconds to be had likely too.

The G Meter on my fastest lap with the R888Rs was 1.1 sustained and barely touched 1.2G in one corner versus the 1:05 lap where it's 1.2-1.3 sustained and touched 1.4G

Fastest Lap with the A052s:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
BTW just a heads up, they make no noise. So while they provide more gradual breakaway, and better feedback through the wheel, they make no audible noise other then a few minor screeches. I even had an off at the track and they still made no noise

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can confirm now that the A052s are faster than the R888Rs. Our local track washed away in a flash flood earlier this summer and they luckily rebuilt quickly .
Got out on track for the first time since running with the R888Rs last season, which my best time posted was 1:07.5.
This may be too early to tell, but do you know how they wear compared to the R888R's?

·
Registered
929 Posts
My front Trofeo Rs have flat spotted so I'll be switching to A052s for the next trackday. I suspect I might need to change the setup of the car if I'm moving away from Trofeo Rs. We'll see.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts