The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 elise and live in the hot and humid midwest. My AC evaporator would ice up in less than 25 minutes of driving in extreme heat and humidity. Just installed the 2007 electronic AC evap thermostat kit from lotus yesterday, and today I did NOT get evaporator freeze up on the hottest and most humid conditions i've driven in this year.. I even had water droplets dripping out of the AC vents from condensation in the cabin.. yet NO FREEZE UP!!! The kit was $175 from lotus, and took an hour to install, but I could do it much faster now..

My question for those in the know is this.. How does the lotus modulate the temp of the evaporator? This new AC thermostat improves the systems ability to monitor the temp, but how does it control the temp? does it cycle the compressor? Does it change the size of the orifice in the expansion valve just before the evaporator? What does it do to now keep the evaporator just above 32 deg rather than just below..

dave

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
What's the part number? Will this work on the 2005s?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My s240 is great for 30min than it cycles which then makes the temp go up for about 10min then it goes cold. After that it seems to be a 10min back and forth. I run it on 1fan speed and about 3 or 4 clicks up from the coldest.

It's colder when its cooling than my 05 but still not good as the in between times can heat up. To be honest it sucks as ac seems so boiler plate for cars...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Can't remember where I got this but is has the details of the kit:

Electronic Thermostat Retrofit Kit 4 Aug

This is a complete new thermostat replacing the existing unit.
Electronic Thermostat Retrofit Kit A120P0149S cost $142.87
This electronic thermostat was introduced on factory build at approx. February 2007. The unit has improved temperature sensing and faster reaction time, reducing the possibility of ice formation. It was possible under extreme ambient conditions of high humidity for ice to form on the evaporator core and restrict air flow past the temperature probe creating a “domino effect” which can lead to complete icing up of the evaporator core and little or no airflow to the cabin vents.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
My question for those in the know is this.. How does the lotus modulate the temp of the evaporator? This new AC thermostat improves the systems ability to monitor the temp, but how does it control the temp? does it cycle the compressor? Does it change the size of the orifice in the expansion valve just before the evaporator? What does it do to now keep the evaporator just above 32 deg rather than just below..dave
It signals the compressor
Here is the info,
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/improved-c-heating-system-71031/
Cheers,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
MattG
Yes it works on 05 cars Part# A120P0149S $146.53 from Lotus Garage.
Easy install, comes with instructions, requires small fingers and one hour.

Mike
I'll assume you didn't remove the clam?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll assume you didn't remove the clam?
on LHD elises, the clam doesn't need removal. On RHD elises it has to be removed it says in the instructions. I believe the instructions also call for clam removal for any exige, but am not 100% sure I remember this correctly..
d

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
No clam removal required, just remove right side inspection\fusebox panel, radiator vent and 3" flex hose from HVAC box and follow the instructions. First stuff some rags around the HVAC box to prevent anything you drop from going to the bottom......you will not be able to get it out.......dont ask me how I know.

Mike

·
Registered
433 Posts
Does anyone have the manufacturer names and number(s) from the replacement thermostat?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Did anyone take photos of their retrofit during the process? If so, post 'em!

·
Registered
433 Posts
tesprit & viper:

Not the Lotus part number; what I am looking for is the thermostat manufacturer name, i.e. Ranco or whomever and their number(s) on the part. Someone who has seen or purchased the part would have to eyeball it.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I had it installed over a year ago and as far as I know it is only available as a Lotus part, I have no idea who makes it.
tesprit & viper:
Not the Lotus part number; what I am looking for is the thermostat manufacturer name, i.e. Ranco or whomever and their number(s) on the part. Someone who has seen or purchased the part would have to eyeball it.
The thermostat only stops the freezing, to enable the AC system to work better I did all these mods http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/improved-c-heating-system-71031/ huge difference in comfort.
So wait... I'm confused... are people saying that our AC can actually work now? :huh:
Cheers,
Michael

1 - 16 of 16 Posts